Kessler v GGG

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Liquorice, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    If GGG ducked Dre, which he didn't, then you best keep that same energy about Dre ducking Adonis and why in god's name are you OK with him refusing to allow a single neutral judge for the Kovalev rematch after his home judges robbed Kovalev blind of all his world titles he had to work so hard for in the first fight? Kovalev literally had to uproot and leave his home country and family behind and venture all the way over to the US to try and forge a career for himself and when he arrived no major promoter would sign him so he subsequently ended up having to fight for free for his first 18 fights over there

'Andre Ward is here. I want Andre Ward.''

--Adonis Stevenson

Ward's response?

''Stevenson doesn't have the track record to warrant a title fight. He won't get a shot until he has won some big fights.''

^^Read that again

Ward said this in 2012.

"I am ready to fight the best 168- and 175-pounders that are out there," Ward told ESPN.com in a recent interview. "At this point, a big fight at 175 is interesting to me. I don't want to go up just to go up. But for the right fight, for a big fight, I would go up. I'm willing to fight anyone at '68 or '75."

And again

'People ask me on the street or on Twitter when I'm coming back,' said Ward, who is expecting his fourth child with wife Tiffiney in mid-June. 'Well, I'm coming. I want Bute but I'm ready for any big fight at 168 or 175 pounds.'

''Yvon Michel, promoter of newly crowned light heavyweight world champion Adonis Stevenson, advised *** that in the event a fight with Bernard Hopkins cannot be made, that he would be willing to do a two-fight deal with super middleweight king Andre Ward.

Stevenson (21-1, 18 KOs) stunned the boxing world with a one-round knockout of reigning 175-pound boss Chad Dawson (31-3, 17 KOs) last Saturday in front of his hometown fans of Montreal.

'Adonis's first wish would be to fight Bernard Hopkins, and if that's not feasible to make that fight, his second wish would be to fight Andre Ward,' Michel said. 'Everyone is aware Ward is looking for an opponent that he hasn't fought. He tried to fight [Julio Cesar] Chavez Jr., or Carl Froch, but Froch seems to be busy somewhere else, so he's desperate to sign a quality opponent.'

-----------------------------------------

MONTREAL - Newly-minted WBC light-heavyweight champ Adonis Stevenson wants a piece of undefeated American Andre Ward, but the feeling isn't mutual.

Ward, considered the No. 2 pound-for-pound pugilist in the world behind Floyd Mayweather, says Stevenson (21-1-0, 18 KOs) doesn't have the track record to warrant a title fight.

The WBA super middleweight champion (26-0, 14 KOs) says Stevenson won't get a shot until he has 'won some big fights.'

But Ward might have trouble saying no if Stevenson's devastating first-round knockout of American Chad Dawson on Saturday piques interest in the power-punching, late-blooming Montrealer.

His promoter, Yvon Michel, told QMI Agency that he'll meet HBO top brass next week to try to hammer out a deal that would see Stevenson fight Ward on U.S. soil at 168 pounds, on one condition.

'(Ward must) sign a two-fight deal that guarantees a return to Montreal at 175 pounds,' said Michel. 'We won't give (Ward) all of the advantages!'

HBO commentators were dazzled by Stevenson's left cross that felled Dawson, with ****yst Max Kellerman calling the bout a 'star-making performance.'

Stevenson only began boxing at age 29, but has knocked out his last eight opponents. He says Ward, who was at ringside at the Bell Centre on Saturday, simply wants to avoid Dawson's fate.

'Ward definitely wants to delay this to avoid facing me,' said the champ. 'It took him 10 rounds to defeat Chad Dawson. It took me how many seconds? Ah yes, 76. Ward is crazy to say I'm not ready.'

As a result, Michel has proposed a home-and-home series where each fighter can defend his respective title on his own stomping grounds.

'And so on that, we're willing [to fight Ward],' Michel said. 'Adonis can fight at 168 or 175, so what we're willing to do is to go to Oakland in September at 168, but on the condition that there's a written rematch here [in Montreal] at 175, regardless of the result [in the first fight].'

Ward (26-0, 14 KOs) has not fought since last September, when he protected his Oakland, Calif., home turf by stopping Dawson in 10 rounds, successfully defending his 168-pound world title in the process.

'Andre Ward took 10 rounds to dismantle a guy, who by his own admission was very, very weak, and drained in the fight,' Michel said. 'Adonis took the best Chad Dawson, who said that he had the best training camp of life, and that he was back in his own weight division, and it took one punch for [Adonis] to take him out.'

After injuring his right shoulder during his last training camp, Ward has since undergone surgery in January and returned to the gym to prepare for a targeted September foe, according to his promoter Dan Goossen.

'They said they want to fight in September. We want to fight in September. If he wants a tune-up fight, just say so,' Michel said. 'Don't say otherwise because Adonis is ready.'

Why did the lineal LHW champion Stevenson fresh off a spectacular one-punch first round KO of Chad Dawson have to win some more big fights before he got his shot against Ward but ''MW hype job'' Golovkin who by Ward's own admission was only the ''No. 2 or No. 3 MW" in the world and hadn't beaten anyone didn't?

Why were ''weak link'' and JCC Jr. Chavez, MW Golovkin, shot Pavlik, E-Rod, Dimitri Sartison, MW Caleb Truax, Stanyslav Kastanova all worthy opponents but lineal LHW champion and big draw in Canada Stevenson wasn't? What track record did those guys have to deserve their shot? :lol:

''Andre Ward is here. I want to fight Andre Ward''

--Adonis Stevenson

But according to Ward ''Stevenson (the lineal LHW champion) wasn't worthy''

The Real Lance and Mendoza like this.
  2. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    Warning FACTS overload

3. ILikeBoxingForRealz

ILikeBoxingForRealz Active Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2018
    G's jab busts Kesslers face up in a 12 round..............SD for GGG

4. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    I know you are working very hard to discredit Dre but all you are showing is how good he is and how smart he is. All of you who hate Dre are entitled to your opinions and feelings but not entitled to your own facts or what are called alternative facts. God made nothing perfect except for the Jesus Christ his son, his other son SOG’s boxing record, Floyd’s boxing record, Super Joe Calzaghe’s boxing record and the great Rocky Marciano’s boxing record.

5. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    My boy Badou Jack the Ripper dealt with Stevenson.

6. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Ward would never fight GGG even in Oakland with 3 judges & ref all Oakland residents. Ward was NOTHING without all the extras his hometown officials turned a blind eye too. Prime GGG would decapitate the Oakland Ram & he knew it

Serge likes this.
  7. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    You & Ward are like my old trainer used to say about braggers " They're all wind & wee no substance call em out they'll back of " Wise man was Charlie.
    Ward the SOG ?? More like the cowardly SOB

Serge likes this.
  8. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    No, Gvozdyk did

Serge likes this.
  9. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    You know full well what you are saying is not true. I realise Dre, Floyd and Canelo must have slept with your babe as that is the only reason I can see for your hatred of them.

10. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    And yet....WARD SAID NO. :squezer: must burn that when asked....That was Ward's response.

Serge likes this.
  11. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Ward never said No. Lil G only said he would take the fight when Ward could no longer make 168 pounds. 3G or whatever you call him never wanted it. Let that sink. He preferred to face the smaller Canelo who he thought he could beat but having fought 3 times Canelo proved he was Boss man to lower case g.

12. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    :lol: Never said no??? Like hell he didn't. No Olu....none of the phony, "He only knew...." crap. You have no idea what these guys know, no matter how much you pretend to be insider.

Ward was out with an injury and jealous of 3g's growing popularity, while barely home town fans went to see Ward. They sat down together....3G said yes. Ward said no. Those are facts...and your 'rambling' about it means jack ****.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    Serge likes this.
  13. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    GGG underestimated the corruption backing Canelo, not that he couldn't defeat him. Tell it like it really is.

14. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    I don't have to work hard at all. Laying down facts is easy work, especially when you know what you're talking about which I clearly do. You're welcome to address each point I made individually to try and prove me wrong which to be fair would be hard work because as you know it's all true, Olu :lol:

And I'd say GGG was much smarter because Dre is a peasant compared to him. GGG probably earned almost as much coin for 10 minutes work against Stevie Rolls than Dre did in his entire career and if not I'm sure you'd only have to add 1 or 2 of his other purses to surpass it, and I'm not talking about the Clenelo fights either.

Did you know that he signed a $100 million deal with DAZN in 2019? That's after Clenelo I and II both of which he earned an absolute fortune from. And GGG earned all that coin without having to cheat or stack the deck heavily in his favour and he fought all over the world like a true world champion.

The Real Lance likes this.
  15. Serge

Jul 21, 2009
    That fight was officially a draw but I scored it narrowly for Adonis.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with Dre ducking Adonis