kettlebells??? how good at they for a fighter

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by highguard, Nov 26, 2014.

1. rampant

rampant Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Defensive :huh Just wondered why you were responding on behalf of.

I was never the brightest hence the reason I use Kettlebells.

2. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    I didn't respond on behalf of anyone. Reread what I said.

3. rampant

Feb 24, 2011
    I did, I have a low attention span though what were we talking about?

4. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    You were going to explain how the below quote means boxers should use kettlebells and how DW was "caught".

5. light-welter

light-welter Active Member Full Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Intersting, can you explain what you mean here in terms of proximal-to-distal sequencing and how this relates to boxing? I understand what proximal and distal are but am not familiar with proximal-to-distal sequencing.

Would ankle involvement not depend on the exercise used? I don't use kettlebells myself but is there not an element of ankle extension during explosive kettlebell swings?

6. rampant

Feb 24, 2011
    No I wasn't, all necessary info is in this thread maybe you need to reread.

7. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    My point was your post and only your post made no sense. I'll break it down as it seems you don't understand.

Here DW explains why kettlebell swings are not specific to movements used in boxing as a previous poster stated otherwise.

This could be sarcasm as I don't know anybody that uses kettlebells for such low reps. But even if DW knew 100 people that used kettlebells for low reps, that proves absolutely nothing as you don't know the specifics.

That's the normal way to read his post. How you came to the conclusion that he was saying boxers could use kettlebell training and you've caught him out in some way I don't know, you'll have to explain.

8. rampant

Feb 24, 2011
    Unecessary but thanks...I have nothing further to add!

Your normal may not be my normal. :good

9. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Lol.

10. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    How do you get that? :huh
    I'm saying I doubt many people who use kettlebells do them for less than 6 reps because they're usually used for stupid conditioning. When I say "People I know" I mean re****s I've seen on the internet and grandmas at the local park.

11. ant-man

ant-man ant Full Member

May 13, 2009
    Yeah, there's plenty of re****s on the internet alright.

12. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Every athletic movement depends on proximal to distal sequencing. With the triple extension that means the hips generating the most force, then the quads generate force and stretch the achilles tendon while the calf muscles are isometrically contracted, and then the foot is powerfully plantar flexed.
    That's why the hips and shoulders need to be strong, along with the trunk. The more mass is distributed distally the more that will slow the lever down.
    Look at the fastest, most powerful animals and you can see how mass is disproportionally distributed at the hips. Look at sprinters and where their muscle insertions are on their calf.

Movements are initiated from the centre and move out, If more distal segments are activated sooner that completely messes up the kinetic chain.

What athletic movements do you know of where the hips and knees are locked simultaneously? People talk about 'functional' (whatever that actually means) and kettlebell swings are not 'functional'.

I would think ankle extension would be either limited or non-existent with a kettlebell swing unless you were releasing it into the air afterwards for some reason.

Are you the same guy who posted saying that you were looking to become an S+C coach? Proximal to distal sequencing is fundamental to everything you'll do, make sure you understand movement and not just exercises.

13. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Thank you, you're a lot more patient than I am and you're a lot more intelligent than the people you're responding to (not a great achievement, but still). :good

14. rampant

Feb 24, 2011
    I read between the lines, dont worry it's easy to forget what you said! here's something I was reading earlier.

Punching is a ballistic movement [1] par excellence (you launch your fists; you do not push with your fists). The big kettlebells lifts (swing, clean, snatch, push-press, jerk) teach power generation through ballistic movement. No other training method does that nearly as well, except for Olympic weightlifting, but…
    …an Olympic bar can only be used in bilateral movements and boxing movements are not bilateral. Kettlebells can be used from a staggered stance and give themselves very well to unilateral and contra-lateral (rotational) movements, such as the ones found in boxing.
    Kettlebells can provide training for the specific type and speed of muscular contractions used in boxing, namely starting strength for the upper extremities, accelerating and stretch-shortening strength for the lower body [2].
    All the kettlebells pulling exercises (swing, high pull, clean snatch) require dynamic hip extension performed repeatedly. Hip extension is the most important component in generating punching power, which has been greatly overlooked due to a ‘cultural’ attachment of combat arts with rotational movement (no, you do not need twisting sit-ups to punch hard!).
    The correct way to grip the kettlebell handle in positions such as the rack or the overhead lockout promotes the correct wrist alignment and the rigidity of the joint that will allow for a full transfer of the power of a punch into the target. During exercises such as the clean and the snatch, a big chunk of cast iron, moving at high speed with significant momentum, has to be stopped at just the right moment in the rack or overhead lockout position, so kettlebells can teach both the correct way and the correct timing of the wrist lock. Performing snatches or presses with a dumbbell won’t help with any of that.
    kettlebells are more than adequate as a training implement in order to improve a boxer’s physiology and energy systems, it is through enhancing striking biomechanics that they can provide the most impressive results

15. rampant

Feb 24, 2011
    Still finds a negative within the positive! :nut