kettlebells??? how good at they for a fighter

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by highguard, Nov 26, 2014.

1. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Developing power compared to what and what level were the subjects for the study?
    I doubt there will ever be extensive research done on the subject because some basic principles dictate that kettlebell training is inferior for developing strength/power throughout the kinetic chain.

2. ant-man

ant-man ant Full Member

May 13, 2009
    Have done 3 workouts involving kb's this week. Absolutely fantastic and versatile training tools. Thoroughly recommend kettlebells if you haven't tried them. I'm certainly not one for having loads of kit and most of my training's bodyweight rather than weights work, but I'd find it hard to let go of my kbells. :hi:

3. rampant

rampant Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 24, 2011
    There is no right or wrong, I'm glad you said argue as that further clarifies my thinking.

I've also had my Kettlebell session this week, it was a tough one, oooh those lunge presses! And burpees with kettlebell, ooooffff! Love it! :happy

4. ant-man

ant-man ant Full Member

May 13, 2009
    :good

Although you can get really strong without lifting anything other than your own body weight, and by simply working on progressively more challenging bodyweight exercises, it still feels good to me to sling around a few lumps of cast iron or bags of sand every now and again.

My last routine mixed goblet squats with burpees and mountain climbers. Felt great afterwards. :thumbsup

5. rampant

Feb 24, 2011
    Yeah I mainly do bodyweight stuff aswell :good

I enjoy trying other stuff and alot of the Kettlbell exercises are challenging, mix it with cardio stuff in between and its a great workout. :bbb

6. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    As in there's no right or wrong way to train? If that's what you mean just :patsch

7. ant-man

ant-man ant Full Member

May 13, 2009
    All he's saying is there's more than one way to skin a rabbit..

8. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    If that's what he meant, then fair enough.

9. rampant

Feb 24, 2011
    Yes that's what I meant.

10. light-welter

light-welter Active Member Full Member

Mar 23, 2008
    It increases it, but why is that relevant to boxing? I don't think it's "idiotic" to ensure that an athlete has efficient control on one leg, such as maintenance of knee alignment, before moving on to bilateral exercises, at least not with a high external load.
    In terms of sprinting, what about the correlation commonly found between unilateral strength and sprint speed and agility? Obviously there is contralateral movement but is unilateral work not more specific than bilateral?
    That's good advice and of course I wouldn't want to limit myself to one sport, however I'm lucky enough to be at the best sport science department in football in the country, which works in conjunction with the university I attended and has several ASCC certified coaches.
    Always good to debate and hear different opinions and you sound like you've got plenty of experience yourself.