Khalid Shafiq: The Naz style fighter who had 1 draw then vanished

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by colinthfc, Mar 7, 2012.

1. JIM KELLY

JIM KELLY Bullshyt Mr Han Man! Full Member

Sep 14, 2008
    i thought he was arab (maybe yemeni) at first (watching his profile on some sports show on a sunday morning). He is as you said, blackistani.

2. slip&counter

slip&counter Gimme some X's and O's Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
    And how many fighters have been labelled 'the new Naz' with that awful style. Many more than those who didn't try and fight like that. Also, and correct me here if i'm wrong. How many of those fighters you mentioned started out after Hamed and how many started with the Ingles from the get go? Perhaps only Chris Saunders. I remember Chris Saunders beating Del Bryan btw. Good little fighter he was.

You know what i mean though, mate. Their style is anti-technique. Pure and simple. They encourage bad habits which you need to have either serious reflexes and twitch fibres or monsterous power to bail you out and get away with for the most part. All that fighting off the wrong foot, smoke and mirrors switching, leading with too many hooks etc etc.

Oh, and i would train the kid myself. :yep

3. dempseys right

dempseys right Active Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2011
    :lol::lol::lol: Like you say, all them champions and because you dont follow a stiff upper lip technique you know nothing, do i get the feeling that most negatives come from people who may have fought or sparred, these easy to hit sheffield boxers with no defence or attacking ability.;)

4. iron_chin

iron_chin Boxing Addict banned

Jun 12, 2011
    lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFLeZwscByY[/ame]

RIP

5. pong

pong Boxing Addict Full Member

May 11, 2011
  6. Bent-nose

Bent-nose Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Keeton and Saunders joined the gym years after Naz as did the likes of Jason Collins, Jim Bett and Jon Baguley.

7. Bent-nose

Feb 19, 2012
    Brian Anderson, Herol Graham, Slugger O'Toole, Neville Brown, Johnny Nelson, Naz, Ryan Rhodes, Paul "Silky" Jones, Jon Thaxton, Esham Pickering, Junior Witter, Danny McIntosh, John Keeton, Carl Johanesson, Kell Brook, Chris Saunders - apologies for any missed.

Off the top of my head all British, European or World Champions.

You say you can name more fighters that they've ruined. Barring one wannabee gangster, the floor is yours!

:good

8. Bent-nose

Feb 19, 2012
    First it is claimed that the Ingle gym has ruined more fighters than it has helped. Off the top of my head I give a list of champions and not surprisingly there is no response.

The same poster wouldn't let Brendan Ingle (who the Ring magazine rated in the World's top 5 trainers) train his child as he seems to rate himself a better trainer.

Only on the internet.

:good

9. slip&counter

slip&counter Gimme some X's and O's Full Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Whoa whoa whoa, now hold on there, Bent Nose.

It's obviously easier to name those who've made it than those who've disappeared without trace.

You've got me all wrong, pal. I never trashed Brendan Ingle or any Ingle for that matter. I applauded their work in the community. I just said i'm not a fan of their boxing methods. Just my opinion.

Oh and i wouldn't take my son to any particular trainer. If my kid was to go into boxing i would like to train him myself that's all. Where did i say i was better than anyone. Let alone Brendan Ingle.

10. Bent-nose

Feb 19, 2012
    I provided a list of fighters they turned into champions at British level or above. You bet that they've ruined more. Can you list them because I can't think of any?

If someone who has trained at a boxing gym for about 9 months later becomes a gangster, does that mean that the boxing trainer has "ruined" them?

11. KingCobra

KingCobra IBF World Champion Full Member

Jun 29, 2009
  12. Joe.Boxer

Joe.Boxer Chinchecker Full Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Indeed. They've had some terrific success, yet it certainly makes one wonder how many boxers that style hasn't worked for.

13. AndrewFFC

AndrewFFC Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 12, 2009
    'Jason Khan Callaghan'

What a strange name.

14. Slimzos

Slimzos New Member banned Full Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Another Ingle hypejob who was supposed to be better than Naz. And he drew his first fight and neer fought again:lol:

15. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Never understood this one...ok naz was actually british yemeni....not asian...although most msm and even most british asian people i know thought of him as british asian!

But jawad too sleeq khaliq was the first real decent British pakistani pro boxer of the digital tv era..

He had a big following in nottingham..was a good looking kid...could really box or fight beat a good list of various european & commonwealth level guys..had some wild raucous ibo title defences than just as hes ready for his big world title shot he suddenly retires at 23-1-1 with nothing said.

I hear his 1 loss in France was a home town division...he turned pro at 27 after a good anateur career representing england and regional aba champ.

Look at his wins in his short career...takaloo,jan piet bergman,howard clarke,willy wise,nesterenko....hes since got a mbe and set up a boxing club.......really the forgotten unlauded man of british boxing...

Oddly enough i recall another british pakistani guy from nottingham Adnan Amer...really solid pro 26-3 also from nottingham fought for British title.....

Both these guys received zero hype had low key quiet and succesful careers .

ryanm8655 likes this.