Khan and Brook - The A side

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Brownpanther, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Brownpanther

Brownpanther New Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2015
  2. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Written by a Khan fan and is very biased and one sided.

Many people wouldn't have a problem with Khan being the A side. What people can't understand is the 70/30 demands.

70/30 is outrageous

On_The_Ropes, delboy82 and Twentyman like this.
  3. dannyc1990

dannyc1990 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Well instantly the article is incorrect, amir has not fought 13 world champions..they were former world champions. He has fought 4 current world champions losing 2.

We all know khan doesn't 'need' brook but its a huge fight, one hes avoided for years. People can deny it but its the same thing everytime talks happen. He puts up some kind of stumbling block to ensure it doesn't happen...

Kells back is not against the wall.. he can take 75% vs errol spence in a purse bid scenario meaning if eddie wins everyting will be in his favour... hometown,75%,british judges....

The whole 'this will be brooks biggest payday' is just stupid. If pacquaio thought the same he'd of took 40m instead he doubled that a few years later...It's about being fair, i'm sure brook would accept amir gets the bigger deal but 70/30 is what a mandatory gets and brook is the champion, its stupid.

In Ifl's latest interview asif vali states amir will not fight brook in november so its either now or next year so ofcourse brook wants it now, he probably wont be at 147 next year. The fact asif says they have plans for november tells me they will face thurman v garcia.. which means amir will not be taking a risk right now. This fight is not happening now unless amir gets and insane deal which is why they want 70/30. I feel this fight will never happen now unless brook submits to ALL amirs stupid demands. He is the bigger name no doubt but does he sell more tickets in the UK than brook NO, does he bring a tv network NO, does he bring a title NO. All he brings is his name value within boxing.

4. caligula4

caligula4 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2011
    In situations like this I think the logic would be easily solved by an agreement such as 70/30 to the winner - even still perhaps too much, but a 60/40 in favour of the winner, perhaps with an extra 5% if a KO is achieved. Can't see Khan fancying that added stipulation, mind!

5. Ukansodoff

Ukansodoff Deontay plz stop ducking Joshua. Thank you. Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    As far as ive always been concerned if only 1 of the 2 fighters is in possession of a world title they are the A side in negotiation.

Also Khan is a border line has been. Yeah he has the better resume but some of the best names on that resume put him to sleep. Between the 2 of them Brook is the man of the moment as far as UK Boxing fans go, not Khan, Brook vs GGG was on Sky Box Office PPV, The UK,s biggest Boxing platform for coverage. Khan Canelo was on BoxNation. Nothing wrong with that but it is seen as inferior, Khan is seen as inferior.

6. dannyc1990

Apr 25, 2013
    The whole % to winner is abit silly, no team will every accept a deal like that. It's just fighting talk, fighters will probably suggest it but teams behind them wont allow it to happen

7. liger1992

liger1992 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Again how much does it need to be said, the issue isn't Khan wanting more the issue is him wanting 70%

How can one justify such an amount when what Khan actually brings to the table is very little.

Does the fight sell out because of Khan? Does the fight do huge numbers on Ppv because of Khan? Does commercial sponsors get involved because of Khan?

Khan overestimates his worth for this fight greatly. The least Brook should accept is 40% and even then if it was me I wouldn't take it.

8. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Why are you trying to down play Khans resume, you know it absolutely shits on Brooks, even the most one eyed fan can see that!!!!

Khan is the A side, even Eddie Hearn agree's he deserves a minimum of 55%, 50% is not reasonable given Khans market value. Brook will not even be champ if he fights Khan next, so what does he really bring to the table?
    Even if we agree 60-40 is a fair split, Khan wants a tune up and he also wants Kell to keep his IBF strap so he can fight for it later in the year. Khan will only fight Brook for no title on the line next if its an offer he cant refuse eg 70-30!

If Brook doesn't accept 30% he should fight Spence or he risks becoming irrelevant
    Brook will lose his strap and he will have far less negotiating power in a future Khan fight.

Khan can just have atune up and wait for the Garcia vs Thurman winner and fight for the unified title.

Why doesn't Brook offer part of the pot to the winner if he backs himself so much?

80% split 70-30 in Khans favour and 20% to the winner? Khan gets 56% guarantee and Brook gets 24% plus the opportunity of gaining another 20%

or potentially even better for Kell

Kell thinks his value is 50% and Khan thinks his value is 70% so if they both put 20% in to the pot the winner can fight for that

Khan gets 70-20= 50% guarantee
    Brook gets 50-20= 30% guarantee
    and the winner gets 20% so the winner gets their market value????
    He could offer, not that Khan would agree

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  9. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    You are tripping. Not a chance Khan fights Garcia or Thurman for 25%. Not happening. Khan ain't risking his career for 25%. One more loss and its done and Garcia or Thurman pose to much of a threat for Khan take suck a small payday.

He walks away from his biggest payday avaliable vs Brook to take 25% as a mandatory challenger?

Not buying it. More likely Khan tries to get Pacquiao in the ring.

So Khan deserves 55%? Why the **** won't he budge from 70%.

Seems to me Khan loses money somewhere down the chain to this third party and is trying to make up the difference with his 70% demand.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  10. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    He will be the unified champion, if he fights Brook he will just win cash.

There's always wiggle room in negotiations though!!!!

Garcia or Thurman might agree to a fairer split if they fight Khan because he brings money to the table
    Splits are negotiated all the time even if it is a mandatory challenge

Jacobs isn't getting 25% for example

11. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    But that's hoping. As it stands we know it's 25% to the challenger so let's go with that rather than trying to make up numbers.

Your argument that Khan fighting Brook just for cash is laughable when on the flip side you use that argument against brook.

Brook can either defend against Spence with the possibility of defending his title raising his profile in the states or he can fight Khan for the biggest payday of his career even though it's only 30%.

You say brook should accept on the basis it's the biggest payday he will get but as you said it's just for cash?

12. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    I think if he wants the Khan fight now he has to accept the 30% offer, it may not be what he was hoping for but its as good as he will get now.

Hearn sounds like he wants Brook to go to 154 if he doesn't get Khan, if he moves to 154 he just becomes a contender and there are plenty of very hard fights for little reward there.

I think he should just fight Spence and forget about Khan for now.

13. liger1992

Mar 29, 2015
    We agree on something. Brook should forget about Khan but I think he should petition the IBF to fight for the vacant 154 title.

14. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    He should move up to 154 now instead of killing himself to get down to 147.

There's Alvarez, Cotto and even a big domestic with Liam Smith. Eddie would be able to make them into decent earners for Brook.

15. dannyc1990

Apr 25, 2013
    Hasn't brook tweeted today saying ...'70% to winner 30% to loser put your money were your mouth is!' sothis whole post is silly lol he's done exactly what you said should. Once again though khan would not accept it..

Ofcourse khans resume is better i didnt say that is isnt, it was just the article was written in a way he'd defeated 13 champions. Former champions and current world champions are 2 different things. I will say though his resume is overrated, who is his best win? maidana? alexander? both aren't great. I mean he's been in with some good names canelo, garcia, peterson, maidana, alexander the problem is he tends to lose those big fights lol. You can't just claim you have a great resume if you lose most of these close fights lol.

Listen to asif vali's latest interview on ifl tv. He says if the fight doesn't happen now it cannot happen later in the year because khan already has plans for november. That tells you he's trying to get a huge deal for khan now if not they'l take an easy fight and go ahead with the november plans (probably garcia v thurman winner) so once again games by khan. He wants him to keep his belt? why? a few months ago he said kell fought too many mandatories? Last year in negotiations team khan insisted kell give up his belt (just before he fought canelo)