Khan needs to change trainer...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by G Man, Apr 20, 2019.

1. G Man

G Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2011
    ...and come back stwonguh.

2. Boon

Boon Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 2, 2015
    You need to invest in a dictionary.

George Crowcroft and pacas like this.
  3. Bigdog2002

Bigdog2002 Active Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I think Virgil hunter is overrated as hell!!! He is one of the absolute worst trainers I have seen and he gets such high regard!!! Kinda like alcazar with Oscar de la Hoya. Just because Virgil was blessed with a once in a generation talent like ward does not make him an elite trainer!!! The man loses all the fights he corners with exception of when ward fought!!!

4. Alo2006

Alo2006 R.I.P Sean Taylor Full Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Don't blame Hunter. Blame Khan. He was simply outclassed. He's done!

Lifestyle and pacas like this.
  5. Bigdog2002

Bigdog2002 Active Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2018
    He had no ****ing game plan!!!

pacas likes this.
  6. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Khan is an inactive, shot fighter who no longer has his heart in boxing.

Its over for him

But he couldnt resist this big payday and who can blame him for taking such a big payday

Birmingham and pacas like this.
  7. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Trainer isn't the issue it's Khan.

When Hunter first started training Khan he said he was surprised Khan never trained between fights and only got in the gym when he had a fight coming up. At first Khan dedicated himself to Hunter's methods and we saw changes in his style, he started throwing more right leads, actually counter punching, started to clinch and smother when he missed a shot, started to show some subtle things on the inside and we saw Khan look good in wins over the likes of Alexander.

Then Khan of course went back to his old ways, stopped training every day, before he based himself in the US with Hunter but he eventually moved back to the UK and Khan went back to fighting how he has always done. I see nothing of Hunter's methods in how Khan fights now, all the changes Hunter initially made are no longer apparent.

Khan lacks the discipline to be truly great and compete on this level, he's always had the talent but never the will and commitment or the ring smarts to realise his full potential. Guys like Mayweather, Pac, Ward, Hopkins, etc were gym rats, lived and breathed boxing 24/7, had to kick em out of the gym at the end of the day, Khan never had that work ethic and without it you can have the best trainer in the world and all the talent and it won't matter.

destruction likes this.
  8. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    No, Khan needs to retire.

Serge and minemax like this.
  9. Lifestyle

Lifestyle True Member banned Full Member

Apr 15, 2019
    He got outclassed, Outsped surprisingly, outboxed, and then QUIT

No trainer can change you when you are multi flawed. The only thing Khan had was speed and heart and now he has neither lol

Time to retire.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Alo2006 likes this.
  10. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    agree. ive never considered virgil a top trainer. but in his defense, he was telling khan not to over commit with his punches, and whats the first thing he does when he gets back in there?

11. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Nerves got to Khan. But he was doing well enough in the first round before he fell down that spiral staircase, wtf happened there btw lol. That KD threw whatever gameplan Khan had out the window. From that point on he was just going on pure instinct, which was a problem. However when Bud was in the orthodox stance Khan still was doing well. But when Bud changed to southpaw Khan became confused, he started moving the wrong way, to his right and after that, I was sure he was gonna get caught with a straight left hand. But oddly enough Bud never landed that straight left, and Khan even made Bud miss a few times while pulling back which was pretty incredible to see. Khan seemed pretty committed to not getting caught and still finding openings to get inside.

Like Khan would just wait for Bud to stop throwing and come in usally by leading with those looping rights, it was all very basic but it was actually working. He backed Bud up a couple of times, he landed that nice left hook.

12. G Man

G Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2011
    He would be stwonguh under Roach.

13. Alo2006

Jun 28, 2006
    Virgil always has a game plan. Khan never follow thru with it.

14. Alo2006

Jun 28, 2006

Facts!

Lifestyle likes this.
  15. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Agreed, providing said trainer has mastered the art of time travel that is.