Khan v Earl - The verbals have started!

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by elle, Oct 30, 2007.

1. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    According to FWTV, Khan & Earl's press conference yesterday resulted in a slanging match with Warren having to intervene as the pair traded insults.

Khan is quoted as saying "I have never wanted to fight anyone who I have wanted to shut up as much as him".

Earl said he hoped victory would pave the way to a rematch against Katsidis which prompted Khan to suggest he should have called it quits after being retired on his stool earlier this year. "The best thing he could have done is pack up there and then. I am going to make him retire. He'll be having flashbacks" said Khan.

Earl hit back insisting he was going to hand Khan his first defeat and doing it in his own (Khan's) backyard will make it all the sweeter. He said "its a fight the public want to see, it needs to be dealt with. Its been brewing for a while and I've got to give credit to him for stepping up to the plate".

Earl said he has found a new lease of life after reuniting with former trainer Jimmy Turner. "There was a time not so long ago when I fell out of love with this business but I have got the hunger back. Losing is not an option".

No love lost there it would seem!

2. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks James 'Lights Out' Toney Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Khan is a wanker. He's ridiculously overrated too and unless Earl is totally shot I see him as favourite here and expect him to KO Khan as soon as he lands on that egg chin.

3. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Khan actually able to have a verbel slanging match!

Now thats suprising.

4. The Lads

The Lads Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2007
    get some dollars on it then, becasue Earl is / was something like 4 or 5 - 1 against. Khan will beat him though imo. What anight for boxing Dec 8th is going to be.

5. Betty Swollocks

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm surprised to have just seen 6/1 Earl. To be honest I've only seen him against Katsidis and may be overrating him and the Aussie from that fight. I'm very confident Khan will be exposed long before he gets to the top....the problem is I'm not sure of Earl's level. Is he a step up from Willie Limond?
    I would appreciate a bit more info on Earl. How did he lose to Ricky Burns?

6. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    He's a big step up fomr Limmond, has beaten a whole host of domestic fighters and holds a win over romanov. You're not wrong to believe he's a huge fight for khan, but I dont think Frank would risk Amir on home soil unless he could see Earl had been severly dented following his defeat to Kastidis, during which he took some heavy heavy shots.

Having met him once or twice I like Amir, and I think he'll beat Earl as I do see solid improvment since Limmond. However, I think I'll put £20 down on Earl at 6/1 as those prices are silly.

7. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    I think Earl is actually a step down from Limond , he's more suited to Khan and to answer how Burns beat him............easily . Boxed his ears off all night through angles and keeping the fight at range .

8. Betty Swollocks

Jul 21, 2004
    OK, thanks very much for the info.
    I guess he had a bad night against Ricky Burns. Just hope Warren has miscalculated and Earl still has something after taking those shots from Katsidis.

9. Big Ears

Big Ears Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    He didn't have a bad night , the same would happen if they were to fight again . He just couldn't cope with Burns skill and the result probably should of been 80-72 Burns .

His best win(over Romanov) although impressive was over a very rusty Romanov who imo still won the fight(I scored it to Romanov by a point) .
    Romanov would of stopped Earl had he been sharp and active , he had Earl hurt several times but just wasn't sharp enough to put him away .
    Romanov seemed to lose the early rounds but improved with each round getting better and better(a clear sign he was rusty) and took most of the late ones .

Earl's win over Angel Hugo Ramirez was controversial and could have easily went either way ,quite a few here think he lost to the domestic level Super Featherweight . I admittedly didn't see all the fight(fell asleep:oops:) but Ramirez was winning before I drifted off and had hurt Earl a few times .

Both his wins over Bobby Vanzie are very controversial , most believe Vanzie won both fights .

I do like Earl and wish him all the best against Khan , but he is extremely limited and possibly shot . John Honney ran him close and he was floored against Kevin Bennett .

His record could easily read 21-6-0 .
    Khan will probably put him away before the half way stage...........then comments will follow from some that he is World class because of that(with Earl having fought for a 'World title') .

10. Betty Swollocks

Jul 21, 2004
    OK, ....thanks for the alvernative view Big Ears.

11. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I was a bit surprised at the timing of this press conference - thought Khan might opt to keep a lower profile at the moment.

During the past fortnight the headlines have been all about his court cases - one of which is still outstanding.

I was even more surprised to see him on Sky TV ringside at the Jamie Moore fight on Friday having not turned up to court earlier the very same day for the alleged 140mph speeding offence and failing to produce. The Judge warned Khan could be arrested if he fails to show up again.

I just wonder where Khan is getting his guidance from? A no show at court after being found guilty of careless driving earlier that week and receiving a 6 month ban and £1,000 fine is not the wisest move.

He is due in court again this Friday and all these distractions can't be the ideal preparation for what I believe will be his biggest test yet - perhaps Earl can take advantage?

12. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    I think that depends on two things.

1) If earl looks good, not shot and rusty

2) If Khan finshes him with better style that kastidis

Kastidis is without doubt fringe world class. He isnt in that top echelon of fighter, but he's solid fringe world class. If Earl isnt shot himself and yet is destroyed by Khan then I think we have to take a little note and start giving him some real props. Its a shame that if Khan wins, and wins big, everyone will say Earl was shot. Its a little bit of a no win situation for Amir.

As a side Earl is better than Limmond IMO. he;s consistently beaten better opposition. I also disagree in relation to the romanov fight, Earl boxed beutifuly and took the fight by a round or two on my card, although granted some of the rounds were close. How easy it is to look with hindsight on romanovs performance, but IMO Earl fought the fight of his life and didnt allow him to box like he can. Im not disagreeing with the fact Romanov wasnt on top top form, hell he'd been out of action for 18 months - 24 months (wasnt it?) but people are disregarding Earls performance a little too easily.

oe thing for sure. Its a bloody good fight for Amir, or any prospect. Earl will be coming to fight and coming to win.

13. nufc16

nufc16 Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Burns may well beat earl if they fight again, but you cant really say he was fully focused for that fight. they went into his dressing room after the fight to interview him and he was under the impression he'd lost his title, and even then didnt seem that bothered. the sky man had to remind him that it was a non title fight.

if he fights with the same heart and courage he did against romanov and katsidis then he'll be a danger. but only if khan hasnt learnt from the limond fight.

14. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    i wouldn't say earl is a step up or down from limond. they are just completely different types of fighter. based on achievement you'd probably rank earl who is a natural lightweight higher than limond.

but anyway, i'm sure even if khan blows earl away, any credit will be taken away from khan with the usual "shot" accusations.

15. curry

curry Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2007
    The choice of Referee will be interesting. Will he allow Earl come through Khans Fast hand attacks this is usually a cue for ref to jump in.
    Will the referee be so quick to stop Amir if Earl has Khan under attack.