Khan v Gamboa

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by D-MAC, May 28, 2008.

1. D-MAC

D-MAC Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Two of the so-called "mega-prospects"

Who wins this fight at Lightweight, right now?

Gamboa would be coming up from Superfeatherweight, so Khan should have the natural power advantage; he also has the height (5'10 to Gamboa's 5'5) and reach on his opponent.

Both are unbeaten: Khan (17-0) and Gamboa (10-0). Khan has had the most fights, but Gamboa has mixed in a better class, is the older man, and has a superior amateur pedigree. Experience is with the Cuban.

Both guys have bad defensive flaws, and both have been down. However, Gamboa's trips to the canvas have been more flash kd's; he has never been on *****-street like Khan appeared to be against Limond. Khan is the bigger one-punch threat, but Gamboa is faster, throws the combinations better, has better footwork, and also posseses unbelievable reflexes. As far as timing, accuracy and the best at measuring distance goes, I don't see a clear favourite. Work-rate/stamina would probably go to Gamboa.

So, does Khan's height, reach, natural strength and one-punch power beat Gamboa's speed, reflexes, footwork and combination-punching?

I think Gamboa takes this one on a late KO/TKO. He may have a trip or two to the canvas, but he will avoid most of Khan's bigger punches, while keeping on his toes and dancing in and out, and detonating his own big bombs(he has very decent power himself). Tiring him out, not just with his own deluge of punches, but also with Khan's own power-punch misses, Gamboa drills a frustrated Khan about round 9 or 10.

Possible secret weapons:

Gamboa - an increased concentration on the body-attack, focussing on Khan's long frame.

Khan - The straight right down the middle to take advantage of Gamboa's hands-down defense.

pow likes this.
  2. Ubersteve

Ubersteve The Main Event Mafia Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Whenever I think about this I can never get past the size thing. It's a huge difference.

3. LeedsLad

LeedsLad Active Member Full Member

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree. Khan is a massive 135lber and Gamboa has been fighting at 130. Gamboa is the better prospect IMO but Khan would win if the fight was at Lightweight.

4. SouthLondonsFinest

SouthLondonsFinest SE4 BABY Full Member

Aug 3, 2004
    gamboa faster than kid khan?

5. J-Dog

J-Dog Active Member Full Member

May 7, 2008
    The size is a massive issue for me at LW and Khan carries some real power which may make the difference in this one, but Gamboa has been to a much better school and been tested properly.....

I keep saying this but its so hard to tell how good Khan is because of these mediocre powder punchers he's been fed.
    Gamboa IS good, he IS gonna have a good career.
    Thats why i havent voted on this one...

Good thread, look forward to analyzing this one when both fighters are knee deep into their careers and we know exactly who's got what....

6. D-MAC

Apr 15, 2008
    Oh yeah! Lightning fast.

7. J-Dog

J-Dog Active Member Full Member

May 7, 2008
    What a kop out, let me try this thread again lol :lol:

Right now at LW....

Khan, only because i dont think Gamboa is as hard to hit as he thinks he is, with Khans power and speed at LW i think he wins, Khans chin and heart must be tested we just dont know how thats gonna hold up yet...

Khan KO / UD.

8. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Gamboa would crucify Khan.... Frigging hell this isn't even debateable. Anyone who really believes that Khan would knock him out really needs to have a word with themselves.

9. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    :? No chance.... Khan has scored one - one punch stoppage in his entire career.

10. maka

maka Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    gamboa tko early 1st 2nd or 3rd......if he can catch khan.....which should be no problem......i could'nt believe my eyes how quick gamboa was, mind you he did get put on the canvas as well, but that was due to his silly low guard up against a not bad banger.

11. D-MAC

Apr 15, 2008
    I think in the H-2-H sense (big LW v SFW) one punch landing flush from Khan has more of an effect on Gamboa than one of the Cuban's own big digs landing on Khan (headshot, bodyshot or whatever).

But hell, this is a fantasy match-up. I ain't gonna argue with you. We both go for Gamboa in any case.

12. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    I say we leave this for a good few years, could be the biggest fight in boxing n 3 or 4 years time.

13. Strike

Strike Boxing Addict banned

Sep 14, 2004
    It is very debatable. Khan is much bigger than him. I think Gamboa is the better talent, the better prospect and has stepped up his game sooner. But he is much smaller and has been caught flush in at least 4 of his 9 fights. He does not even try and defend in most fights and makes Khans defence look water tight.

Does Jiminez hit faster and harder than Khan? No chance. Is Gamboa a one punch banger? No.
    So whilst I would favour Gamboa because I cannot see him not landing enough to seriously trouble Khans shaky chin, it is open to debate. Gamboa has zero defence, he gets caught by journeymen and we have seen him dropped so it is not insane to suggest someone with the size and reach advantages of Khan and with Khans speed could get to him.

14. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    Ok Strike we'll disagree on this one. Gamboa is a unique talent who has the talent to be a genuine super star of Shane Mosley stature. Khan for me, remains a talented but ultimately flawed fighter who has made little improvement from his olympic performances... I could be wrong but for me at the end of Gamboas career we'll have a multi weight, genuine world champion... at the end of Khans we'll be left with a could of, should of, would of.

15. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    Big, Gamboa need to get a **** hot trainer pronto, otherwise he is going nowhere.

He is luckty Super Feather is a weak divison, valero is the only tough fight.