Khan VS McCloskey, April 16th, MEN Arena

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Lazarus, Jan 22, 2011.


  1. boxing4eva

    boxing4eva Boxing Addict Full Member

    3,382
    0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Fell through, due to the floods
     
  2. gazanta

    gazanta Well-Known Member Full Member

    1,532
    0
    Oct 26, 2010
    how the **** can katsidis fall through but hatton/alvarez is still on?
     
  3. Flash Jab

    Flash Jab Boxing Junkie banned

    12,335
    0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I really found Khan's excuses for every fight not happening irritating last night. The "I'll fight anyone" logic is honourable, but not when your management aren't getting it done. Personally, if I were Khan, I'd stick my head around the door and tell them to get something together if he wants to fight one of these people. Otherwise, he's having something to do with it not happening. This "they want too much money" issue doesn't fly.
     
  4. WalletInspector

    WalletInspector Obsessed with Boxing banned

    21,194
    2
    Jan 1, 2010
    :lol: Because Hatton and Alvarez wern't affected by floods?
     
  5. lufcrazy

    lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

    82,092
    22,178
    Sep 15, 2009
    khan says he is willing to fight anyone. seems to me the mccloskey fight is dead.

    i can't see kats happening so my money is back on prescot now. he knows it will sell, he (misguidedly IMO) thinks he will win. plus it will remove the blot on his career.
     
  6. Jared

    Jared Active Member Full Member

    1,428
    1
    Apr 17, 2010
    Prescott or Murray would be great
     
  7. ed7890

    ed7890 Col. Hunter Gathers Full Member

    8,170
    0
    Apr 4, 2009
    I could be way off the mark on this one, but I'm starting to think Sky won't allow them to take Prescott. Or at least, wouldn't put it on PPV.

    Team Khan are obviously looking for the cheapest option, and Prescott wouldn't be demanding as much as the rest. I think if they could, they would have already got him for the fight.
     
  8. Scotty321

    Scotty321 Boxing Junkie Full Member

    12,516
    0
    Dec 21, 2008
    http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/01/30/boxing-how-amir-khan-upset-paul-mccloskey-as-fight-talks-broke/

    McCloskey told Fanhouse UK: "Their demands were too much and they made it impossible to accept the fight. When we rejected the first offer, they came back with an improved offer which didn't really improve.

    "They're very disrespectful toward fighters and they have to respect the man that's going in there to fight them - they have to value him. We're talking about world championship boxing and there has to be a line, a fair line at that."

    They were very awkward to work with. They are going to find out, when you're fighting people for world titles, there are two boxers in there and they deserve good money," claims McCloskey.

    "Obviously with Khan being the champion he's going to get more, but the terms I believe I should be getting were a lot less than what was being given.

    "My promoter Barry Hearn has loads of experience promoting world title fights, these (Khan's team) is their first time promoting a big fight themselves - they're still learning the ropes and Barry thought it was a dreadful offer."
     
  9. izmat

    izmat Boxing Addict Full Member

    3,611
    0
    Sep 19, 2008
    This is worrying for Khan...they might end up with no opponent in April!
     
  10. boxing4eva

    boxing4eva Boxing Addict Full Member

    3,382
    0
    Dec 3, 2009
    This is a pretty amusing read.

    Katsidis's trainer, Brendon Smith

    "Everyone knows it has been of interest to us and we have negotiated once before to fight Amir Khan last year," Smith told AAP.

    "There's been a couple of occasions there that the fight just hasn't happened because the offer has been lower.

    "Amir Khan said Michael didn't want to fight him and we got a little bit upset about it, because it wasn't about the fight, it was about the money."

    Sorry to tell you Brendon but there is even less on the table this time!

    http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ampion-amir-khan/story-e6frep5o-1225997611554
     
  11. Lazarus

    Lazarus Realist Full Member

    29,937
    1
    Jan 1, 2010
    Nice one on the updates. Thread still going strong.

    Negotiations for any other opponent should start today and be sorted this week.

    If they aren't done, Khan can forget his April 16th date.
     
  12. boxing4eva

    boxing4eva Boxing Addict Full Member

    3,382
    0
    Dec 3, 2009
    It looks at the moment to be going the same way as last year. Where they ended up on only 2 bouts due to inability to find an opponent for July 31st.

    If HBO have pencilled him in for July 30th this year to fight Bradley, there is no way they can fit a fight in unless it happens on that April date
     
  13. gazanta

    gazanta Well-Known Member Full Member

    1,532
    0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Gazanta breaking news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amir khan will take on undisputed heavyweight champion of great britain david '*****' haye in a catchweight 180lbs, live on sky box office for a tidy sum of £39.99!
     
  14. Uncle Rico

    Uncle Rico Loyal Member Full Member

    39,748
    3
    Jun 28, 2009
    I seem to remember Khan's team offering Katsidis the same money he earned in the Mitchell fight, which was around 400k, and they declined. Can anyone confirm this for me? Laz?
     
  15. boxing4eva

    boxing4eva Boxing Addict Full Member

    3,382
    0
    Dec 3, 2009

    Well, for the Mitchell fight he got 80% of $515k, around £260K. For Marquez he got around £350k.

    If we are to believe Mccloskeys & Petersons teams who say the offers on the table are around $200K dollars (£125K), then there is no way it's going to happen IMO.

    They have tried previously to secure Katsidis, for the planned July 31st last year. As referenced by Brendan in that news article, it fell through due to the offer being too low. He makes an obvious suggestion that, due to it appearing that they are not willing to pay a great deal for this bout, and the fact last time they offered little, it's very possible that them stating they are going to "Talk to Katsidis", is more of a means of getting other lower profile fighters in the UK (Murray) to come to terms.