Kiko Martinez. The man who refuses to go away.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Limerickbox, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    How many times has this guy been counted out? (Figuratively).

My first time seeing him was his upset win over Bernard Dunne. He had his 2 losses against Frampton and most people thought his career at the top was over.

After his first loss to Frampton, he rebuilt himself and earned his rematch.

He kept his habit of winning middling fights and then getting big money shots (LSC, GRJ) and kept on trucking.

Never getting disheartened.

He got a shot against Zelfa Barrett, and was basically robbed.

Kept trucking.

And tonight won another world title at 35.

Heck of a career.

2. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    If anything this shows the level these new generation of fighters are at. Their simply not taking their craft serious and aren’t challenged enough when they actually fight.. So it’s easy for Kiko and Lara to catch Galahad and Warrington by surprise when they actually come to fight and not lay down.. Same can be said for Yafai who thought Ramon Gonzalez had nothing left when he chose to fight him..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  3. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2018
    Like Glen Johnson a bit

KO KIDD, N17, kirk and 5 others like this.
  4. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
  5. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Darchinyan had some of the same qualities about him, kept him relevant or semi-relevant for a long time past the point he was expected to be (up until he was finally too far gone and too high in weight). Dedicated, stubborn, big self-belief, typically value for money. But even Vic didn't get a win this big while this far down the road of his pro run. :lol:

N17, MidniteProwler and Chuck Norris like this.
  6. David B

David B How you expect to run with the wolves come night, Full Member

Feb 25, 2006
    To see this old road warrior beating the odds again.

Been watching boxing for more then 35 years.

Tonight was one of the most emotional and satisfying moments ever .

7. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    This is a fair point. But Galahad is a very dedicated guy wanted to fight but was stuck in Who Needs Him? territory for the longest.

JunlongXiFan, Wizbit1013 and jaytxxl like this.
  8. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Richard Duke of York Full Member

Nov 4, 2017
  9. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4 Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    There seems to be a trend of guys in their mid 30’s who start fully dedicating themselves and have the maturity to admit the mistakes they had been making in training and have made some adjustments and use their intelligence more. Martinez, Rosado who we are seeing later today and Donaire appear to be fine examples and to a lesser extent Arreola in his last fight with Ruiz. Who knows maybe Alegeire might upset Benn.

10. Forza

Forza Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    That was an amazing moment today. To not only win a title as an underdog but in that type of fashion. This was supposed to be a stay busy fight for KG after just winning that title. He was basically K.O'd twice, by the same punch too.

navigator and N17 like this.
  11. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
  12. N17

N17 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I'm so happy for Kiko, so so happy.

He was brought over here to get bashed up, unfortunately for Galahad and Hearn nobody told Kiko that and he turned up, kept trying, kept believing and shocked many people, I'll be honest I said I wanted him to win but didn't predict he would.

Hearn said (slipped up) after the fight tonight "I didn't think in a million years he would win..", So Hearn didn't give him a chance regardless of all the pre fight nonsense he spills and trying to sell it.

Anyway, I'm just delighted for Kiko, I think he will have to rematch Galahad, I can't see Galahad not taking the rematch, he will put it down to getting caught with the first big shot and not recovering.

If that has been suggested it was a serious weight issue and he just can't make the weight safely any longer then they have a big decision to make, because Galahad didn't take either shot well, taking nothing away from Kikos power.. Galahad looked rather fragile in the punch resistance department.

Wizbit1013, roughdiamond and MrFoFody like this.
  13. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I haven't seen the full fight, but from these highlights it looks like Kiko was trying to set up both the eventual KTFO right hand and his left hook from about round 4. Absolutely nothing fluky about this KO. No complaining about weight or whatever will undo the fact he was outthought by a more experienced, yet past prime, fighter and paid a heavy price. I think this is the most satisfying KO I've seen in years.

Serge and Wizbit1013 like this.
  14. DaRealJT

DaRealJT President Pacquiao KO1 Biden Full Member

Sep 26, 2021
    Best Spanish boxer of all-time

iceferg likes this.
  15. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Kiko said he hadn't slept for the previous two nights so he was battling severe sleep deprivation in addition to everything else that was against him