"Knockouts cause amnesia" - Boxing expert has his say (opposite of online consensus)

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Jolly Jim Jacobs, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Jolly Jim Jacobs

Jolly Jim Jacobs New Member banned Full Member

Jan 20, 2023
    I have to say that I got this one very wrong. I am no expert and am not exactly good with my analysis, so I bring you with this chap here who is a boxing expert. You may know him. He is a lawyer by trade and he has represented Andre Ward. Boxers watch this fella, including world champions like Andre Ward and Lawrence Okolie. He knows this sport like the back of his hand. I have assembled some of the main talking points for you boxing fans who do not have the time. I appreciate that it is a long video. I hope that this thread will be allowed to remain without being merged because it offers unique perspectives and would like to see the responses of the many boxing experts of the forum.

This content is protected

2:20 "this fight should be exhibit number one, that sometimes in boxing the better fighter does not win"

Richard Dwyer then compares the bout to those where the better fighter loses like Douglas vs Tyson and Rahman vs Lewis.

7:16 "folks look at the film, Chris Eubank is the superior fighter. From how I watch boxing, it's not close."

Richard Dwyer breaks down Smith's style.

8:20 "that style doesn't have the high ceiling that Chris Eubanks's style has. Eubanks can operate outside the pocket. Eubanks has skills inside the pocket too... Eubanks is adaptive reactive."

10:00 "Liam Smith never makes that adjustment. He keeps getting hit with Chris Eubanks's uppercut!. Chris Eubanks doesn't need to be on his front foot to be offensive."

10:51 "by the third round you are just thinking to yourself that this is just a matter of time. Eubank is landing flush shots."

11:15 "Eubank is a master of moving laterally."

11:28 "I am point all this out because Eubank loses the fight. Knockouts cause amnesia."

12:20 "if they announce a Eubank Golovkin fight you're going to have a sizeable portion of the public saying Eubank looked terrible against Liam Smith, not that Eubank was winning the fight before the knockdown, but that he looked terrible and he is washed up."

16:40 "Eubank is still elite"

17:30 "Chris Eubanks against Golovkin is a competitive fight"

17:55 "He just got caught by a cagey veteran"

19:00 "I believe Chris Eubank can be competitive at 160 and 168 where he used to be"

19:30 - Richard Dwyer then attributes the lack of punch resistance to plant nutrition and lack of red meat.

22:40 "I think the better fighter lost the fight"

23:07 "Liam Smith has a lower ceiling than Chris Eubank even after this win"

Richard Dwyer then talks about how Chris Eubanks has improved under Roy Jones.

I appreciate that online forums tend to be echo chambers and people do not like to hear opposing views, but I believe that this man is right and that Eubanks got unlucky.

Bob Flaps likes this.
  2. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    What a load of nonsense.

'Eubanks style has a higher ceiling' - maybe true but it requires somebody with alot more talent to make it so.

Curtis Lowe and Accurate like this.
  3. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Not watched it but just looking at the points doesnt really take into account smiths style. Watching the last few fights of smith....he kind of takes calculated punishment in order to get close. Tucks up and lets you throw....and keeps going forward. Its a tricky style to fight against. He tries to nullify your offense via tucking up well.

The author doesnt really take into account ring generalship etc. You throw big shots....you start to tire. While smiths still coming forward. Or if you are outboxing him like eubank "appeared" to be doing....you need to keep on the move or nullify his work when he does close the distance. Always feel the best way to beat the smith style is to get them backing up...and keep going.

I think smith shipped a lot of punishment against adam booths fighter. Same thing happened tho. He soaks it up while coming forward.

The american in the last fight the exact same thing. He never tired eubank out like he did them two. But he,s not interested in the boxing part of the exchange his gameplan is to corner you or get close and unload while your working harder than he is. By nullifying when you attack via a high tight guard....and still going forward.

I think its a gallagher style. They do ship punishment but minimise it the best they can. its a tricky gameplan to deal with. Push him back your in danger of burning out before you deplete him enough. Box on the backfoot you need to keep moving. Tyring work when smiths gameplan its pretty energy efficient and his sole aim is to close the distance on you that he does pretty well with his feet.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  4. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
  5. 08Horacio08

08Horacio08 Member banned Full Member

Jan 20, 2023
    Dwyer lol boxing expert ??

Not sure if your pulling our leg here. Why take everything this guy says seriously? Especially about diet :D