Kosta Tszyu vs Ike Quartey 147

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by LiL Boosie, Oct 29, 2020.

1. LiL Boosie

LiL Boosie Member banned Full Member

May 5, 2014
    Was always bummed Kosta didnt go to 147 to fight the top guys their

I have my doubts he could hang with Tito/Oscar but who knows cause Kosta bested Miguel Angel Gonzalez a lot easier then Oscar...

Kosta is a lot more highly regarded then Ike but Ike would have the size/strength advantage

Who wins?

eltirado and jaytxxl like this.
  2. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Quartey wins all 12 rounds, possibly stops him.

eltirado, Pimp C and jaytxxl like this.
  3. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I don't think Kostya makes that jump like others have.
    Sort of regressed from an excellent technical and athletically gifted fighter to a one paced, almost plodding stalker who relied on his power and strength to wear blokes down. I think strength might be a tad overrated as some of the bigger and more physical jnr welters he faced bested him in this regard.

Good to see you are out of jail and keeping healthy my man.

4. jaytxxl

jaytxxl Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Big fan of Tsyzu and I feel that it’s a tossup between he and Aaron Pryor as the best 140 fighter ever. However I believe that after being TKO’d by Vince Phillips(a natural WW) he made the conscious decision to never go up in weight.

So many elite and popular guys was at WW during his 2 reigns and he never considered the move because he would give up the size advantage that he was afforded at 140.. So with that being said I’m going with Ike Quartey by stoppage.

Reinhardt likes this.
  5. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I liked Kosta,,,but not at 147. Ike wins a UD

kriszhao likes this.
  6. Amazing one

Amazing one Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Ike too much for Tszyu at 147

7. eltirado

eltirado Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Vince Phillips is a natural Junior Welter, a small-framed one just like Tszyu

Vince Phillips volume-punching-pressure got to Tszyu. It was the pressure that did him in both his losses

8. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    KT was a natural JrWW, and a damn good one. Was no need to move up to face bigger guys just to appease finicky "Gotta move up" fans...

9. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Quartey at 147 without a shadow of a doubt. Remember what Cool Vince Phillips did to the great Tyzu and what Ike did to Cool Vince Phillips. Ike Bazooka Quartey’s firepower and ammunition will be to much at 147 for Tyzu. It was a real problem for everyone Quartey fought at 147 and 154. That left hand was really something.

10. jaytxxl

Mar 1, 2010
    I probably should have elaborated but Vince Phillips had success at WW and received his first title shot at WW from Ike Quartey.. So Tsyzu probably weighed his options after that lost and made the decision that he should never venture up in weight

eltirado likes this.
  11. The Real Lance

Oct 29, 2012
    OR...maybe he simply made 140 just fine, didn't need to? :lol:

12. jaytxxl

Mar 1, 2010
    Or maybe he knew he wouldn’t have the size and power advantages he was used to at 140. This wasn’t Iike the GGG MW run when 168 became unheralded and weak after Froch retired and Ward moved up to LHW. 147 had many elite HOF fighters during his two reigns and he fought none.

13. The Real Lance

Oct 29, 2012
    Or maybe!?!? What size advantage did KT have? On who? He clearly had no issues making 140, as evident he stayed there his whole career. That's called having discipline.

And you realize 3G hasn't made a 168 run?! Dafuq you on about with that BS??

Who cares that KT never fought WW HOFers. He was a JrWW FFS. He was at 140 for almost 10 years after fighting cool vince. :lol: You're one of those who think a fighter MUST move up to show he's an ATG...

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Ike 6th round stoppage

15. jaytxxl

Mar 1, 2010
    I said you can’t compare his run to GGGs because there were no elite 168 HOF for him to move up and fight. I’m just explaining my opinion why I can’t rate Tsyzu as an ATG. Hall of very good imo