Kovalev and Ward vs Roy jones

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Eastpaw, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Eastpaw

Eastpaw Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 12, 2015
    I think Kovalev would have easily knocked Roy out, and I think vs Ward would have been a toss up based on Andre being superbly skilled and Roy being superbly athletic. Based on resumes I believe Ward definitely has the better resume but resumes don't get in the ring.

Discuss.

2. You've Got Male

You've Got Male Member Full Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Roy Jones would KO both Kovalev and Son of Golota.

MannyMMA, GoldenArms, Tettsuo and 5 others like this.
  3. Doco

Doco Member Full Member

May 8, 2010
    My monies on Roy tbh - too fast and athletic for both, better ring generalship - in his prime he could avoid Kovalevs right and take him apart, I'd also say he could either keep ward at bay with his jab and not let him get on the inside, just think a prim roy has too much for either fighter.

Gambino likes this.
  4. Okin129

Okin129 ... Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    RJJ would have toyed with Kovalev but Andre Ward would have been difficult even for him, i think this would have been a 50-50 fight.

5. PrinceVega

PrinceVega 帝拳ボクシングジム Full Member

May 21, 2011
    RJJ would easily destroy Kovalev.

6. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    Ward's style is tailor made for Jones, he probably KOs him or wins a lopsided decision. Kovalev would be a more dangerous fight.

MannyMMA and NewBoxingOrder like this.
  7. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Are you trolling or being serious?

If we're talking about Roy at his absolute best at LHW, such as the versions who fought: Hill, Griffin and Reggie, then on what planet would Sergey have easily knocked him out?

Have you not seen the 20 rounds with Andre?

Did you not see him look dispondent and devoid of ideas?

Roy's speed would have given him an absolute nightmare.

I told many of you guys 2 years ago that he wasn't the T-1000 that he was made out to be. Yes, of course he possess the power to have put Roy to sleep. But that applied to just about everybody who Roy fought at LHW. If Sergey had've landed flush, it'd have been lights out. But would he have had the opportunity?

Roy would have found Sergey easy enough to hit. Boone dropped him, Pascal repeatedly landed telegraphed right hands with no leverage, he looked awful against Chilemba, and now Andre has beaten him twice. And as great as Andre is, he doesn't possess the speed, the reflexes, or the one punch knockout power that Roy did.

Roy would had have to been a clear favourite going into the fight.

northpaw and Reinhardt like this.
  8. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Ward beat Kovelav once IMO, the first fight Kov won IMO. RJJ at his best at LHW beats them both though Kov has a slight punchers chance though.

Loudon likes this.
  9. Eastpaw

Eastpaw Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Most think Kovalev won the first fight as do I, Ward did NOT befuddle Kovalev, neither did b-hop who he easily outboxed. Roy jones chin WILL NOT hold up against any of kovalevs bombs, and Ward is a better more skilled boxer than Roy

10. theanatolian

theanatolian Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 2, 2015
    He's better ring IQ and better jab, Roy is better at everything else in addition to having better power and being much faster. Ward wouldn't win more than 3 rds, and Kovalev would need an oxygen mask to keep up with Roy's pace.

Jamal Perkins, Pimp C and Loudon like this.
  11. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Andre had Kovalev looking devoid of ideas.

The myth is over.

Sure, Roy's chin couldn't take a bomb from Kovalev. But again: What would have been the chances of Kovalev landing one?

Andre hasn't got a great chin, and he's much easier to hit than prime Roy. So why couldn't Kovalev put him to sleep, especially as he said Andre hits like a little girl?

You could argue that Andre had more skill than Roy. But he doesn't have Roy's power, speed, reflexes, or his arsenal of punches.

Roy would have presented Kovalev with far more problems than what Andre did.

Kovalev would only have had a punchers chance against Roy.

Only a fool would think that he'd have easily knocked out Roy.

You're kidding yourself.

12. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    It would be interesting to see how Jones deals with Ward's elbows, headbuts and low blows.

It would also be very interesting to see Jones respond to someone of Kovalev's power. He could very well be knocked out by a Kovalev jab.

13. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    RJJ, easy work. Next.

14. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    Don't exaggerate.

A jab wasn't knocking Roy out. He never ever had a great chin, but he took a few good shots before he lost to Tarver and Johnson.

The first and most important question to ask, is:

How would Sergey have coped with Roy's speed?

15. Salty Dog

Salty Dog My name is Buck and I'm here to... Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    We're talking peak RJJr here. I think Kovalev has the puncher's chance and a little better, but that's about it. I'd take Roy by wide UD. As far as Ward goes, Roy has all the crazy ability he needs to beat Ward, but would Ward find a way to do it? Maybe. I'll take Roy by UD 6/10. And I think if they fought multiple times, each time they fought, Ward's chances increase. He's just that kinda' dude.

Loudon likes this.