Kovalev became a disgrace. Change my mind.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by From.Russia, Nov 2, 2019.

1. From.Russia

From.Russia Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Y, i know i just wanted to make my statement important and dramatic, hahaa. But it was still huge and winnable fight. Now i think Canelo definitely knew more than us, maybe he got 100% info that Kovalev isnt training properly and drinks vodka instead of water and offered him the fight, lol

2. kdyehs

kdyehs Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I am shocked by the conclusion of this fight. I give credit to Canelo strategy, he played safe and tight, countered each opportunity and waited the championship rounds to go more aggressive. I think his execution was perfect.

Kovalev on the other side needs to connect with power shots otherwise his fight is extremely difficult. He mentioned the stamina of Canelo and of course now his chin, that I believed was still good, got even more exposed. It seems that in the case of Kovalev, stamina and chin are functioning together. If he gas out he is ready to be put asleep. But it was sad. I had a close fight before the dramatic KO. Reminds me when Roy Jones got KOed by Tarver in their second fight. Very dramatic.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    From.Russia likes this.
  3. Liquorice

Liquorice Boxing Addict banned Full Member

May 13, 2018
    He's just just old mate, the endings for some fighters just aren't very pretty or dignified.. Roy Jones, Nigel Benn, Sergio Martinez etc.. his decline is just natural .. he chose to cash out against a prime guy known to juice.. his choice.. he can live with it.. that wasn't prime Kovalev though, not even close..

markclow and From.Russia like this.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Active Member Full Member

Nov 1, 2011
    This to me is the main story coming out of tonight. Kovalev is 36 years old, but he's fighting at a heavier weight, and as a general rule, the heavier the weight, the longer into his career a fighter can compete. After tonight, Kovalev now has 39 career professional fights, but only totalling 184 rounds. He came into prominence in the Cleverly fight at age 30, and he Krushed all opponents until the first Ward fight in November 2016. Even since then, Kovalev has not been in many physically draining fights, and none were of the sustained punishing sort you would expect to shorten a fighter's career. What I'm getting at is that Kovalev SHOULD still be near enough his prime. He boxed very well tonight, but he was unwilling to engage with an opponent moving up two weight divisions, and his punch resistance is totally shot. What have his personal habits been outside the ring, that he has declined so steeply at a relatively young age, having incurred relatively modest punishment in the ring? Whatever happened, I hope he has no regrets, for his sake.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    From.Russia likes this.
  5. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    people dont understand the skill required for that type of precision, at that speed.

RacingBeat likes this.
  6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    He's old, he was weight draind, and he fought the best fight he could, pretty much sweeping the fight up till there. I can't blame Kovalev; I can't even blame him for cashing out via the inevitable impending Vegas decision. After his career he really needed the $$$.

iii likes this.
  7. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Huge shot. Nice bodywork before hand.

Canelo is probably p4p 1. Doesn't change the fact that Kov was close to shot as ****, tho Canelo performed well. Bit of a farce.

markclow and BCS8 like this.
  8. greenhornet

greenhornet Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 14, 2016
    hardly.

9. HerolGee

HerolGee VIP Member banned Full Member

Sep 22, 2010
    why is he disgrace for avenging 3g?

10. MagicE

MagicE Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 16, 2017
    I completely agree.

markclow likes this.
  11. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Kov landed more shots on Canelo than Yarde would and Yarde has no defensive skills either, he`ll punch himself out on the orders of his useless trainer.

12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Kov`s offensive skills are better right now than Hopkins were at the same age and he did beter v Canelo than Bernard would have done at the age of 36.

13. Sadono

Sadono Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    He's just a street thug. Never had a champion's attitude. His career was done at the top and he achieved all that he was going to. I guess I can't blame him, he did give us some good fights while it lasted. Hope he enjoys that fat paycheck in Florida or Chelyabinsk or wherever.

gogeta and From.Russia like this.
  14. From.Russia

From.Russia Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2013
    You are right about Sergey being street thug, his demeanor is of typical gopnik, he doesnt belong to pantheon of boxing with his attitude. I think most boxing fans including me were thinking that he took a dive, not because we assumed that Canelo cant KO him, but the way Kovalev fought. He didnt try to hurt Canelo and he probably wanted to pitty pat his high guard with this weak ass jab and getting loss via decision.

Sadono likes this.
  15. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Sergey's story is not over yet. FAR from it. The court hearing's scheduled for Nov 25. And that woman is suing Kovalev for many millions of dollars. Plus years in jail if he's found guilty...

bandeedo likes this.