Kovalev Ward last punch

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Grinder, Nov 13, 2019.

Regardless of what Weeks called, was the last punch in Kovalev v Ward 2 a low blow?

1. Yes, below the belt

49 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. LeeD1982

LeeD1982 Active Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2019
    From the second half of the first fight Ward took Kov's heart and soul*.

Unforunately Kov is a bully by nature, and once bullies have their sense of invincibility pricked the entire house of cards comes a crashin down.

He should have retired after that fight because the combination of this and ageing were always going to see future humiliations ahead.

* btw, I do think Kov won the first fight on balance but Ward was clearly getting to him by the back end of it and the second fight's results had become completely predictable

Pimp C likes this.
  2. LANCE99

LANCE99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 11, 2016
    You can troll, or you can actually watch the video of the last few moments. It's not ****ing rocket science...

3. Reppin501

Reppin501 The People's Champ Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Ward kicked his ass...not sure why this is such a big deal to people. The better fighter won.

Pimp C and NoNeck like this.
  4. The Akbar One

The Akbar One Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    You wish I would because it would make you feel more comfortable in your own bigotry. I was never a big Ward fan. Ward won because Kovalev folded under the skill and body attack of Ward.

Pimp C likes this.
  5. LANCE99

Mar 11, 2016
    Sure. Just a shame the fight is marred w/ a bad blown call by the ref

6. LANCE99

Mar 11, 2016
    And the obvious low blow had NOTHING to do with anything?

Why is it so hard for some of you to admit there was a low blow at the time of stoppage?

Somali Sanil likes this.
  7. kdyehs

kdyehs Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2015
    I think Ward won his two fights but he did hit Kovalev low for a fact he was warned by the ref, last shots was below the belt line in my opinion. I have never seen such low shots being accepted to the face of a ref before. Low shots or not the winner was clearly Ward, but you have to give peak Kovalev credit for making it tight the first fight and competing in the second. Kovalev was very close to ATG level. I think if he manages to win back another world title before retirement he is automatically hall of fame. But for that he needs to avoid Beterbiev and recover some punch resistance. What I think is this: Canelo will move back to 168, the title will become vacant and Kovalev just need to position himself to be the legit contender. He won't have to fight Beterbiev, the way it works I think the fighter he will have to beat won't even be known to the average boxing fans.

8. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    You come off as an only bigot here.
    You accuse everyone of racism, but you're the only one who mentiones fighter's race and ethnicity.

Jobo1878 likes this.
  9. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Now this is pure BS This was a disgusting performance by Ward & Weekes. Ward was DELIBERATELY punching low throughout the fight & Weekes watched him do it. Why?? You'll have to ask those two about that. At the time of the stoppage Kovalev was ahead on judges cards so pray tell me how did Ward "kick his ass"?
    All I ever want to see in every fight is a fair fight fairly officiated with the better man on the night getting the win he deserves. This did NOT happen in either Ward/Kov fight or
    GGG/Canelo fights. Ward is a DIRTY FIGHTER no two ways about that & Weekes should have been severely reprimanded for allowing him to do it

10. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Ward imo, never met a prime Kovalev, he was nasty around the Cleverley period, hungry and hurtful with every shot, Ward hit an alcoholic in the bollox to win that fight !

BobD99 likes this.
  11. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Low blow or not, Kova was already hurt by a head shot, it was just a matter of time anyways...

Pimp C likes this.
  12. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    BS The head shot didnt make him scream in pain & grab his Testes. Ward & Weekes were attrocious

BobD99 likes this.
  13. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    All of this and yet you claimed Weeks called it right down the middle and did a great job in PBF-Maidana 1 when he allowed Maidana to foul rough up hit PBF behind the head and head butt him all night long. If Ward is a dirty fighter as you claim what about Maidana? You're embarrassing and have no credibility.

Jobo1878 and 22JM like this.
  14. LANCE99

Mar 11, 2016
    Refs can **** up too. Weeks ****ed up at the end of the fight

15. DONT B SCARED

DONT B SCARED Pimpin Aint Easy Full Member

Mar 8, 2017
    The last shot was a bit low and Ward should have got a warning,it's just unfortunate that Weeks ruined what should have been 1 of Ward finest victories as Kovalev was on his way out from some beautiful legitimate body shots that some have wrongly claimed were low