Larry Holmes is underrated H2H

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Toney F*** U, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Holmes isn’t talked about enough when it comes to great h2h heavyweights. Top 3 jab, good head movement, strong chin, great hand/foot speed, and enough power in his right hand to back guys up or take them out. Yet he seems forgotten h2h. I think he deserves to easily rank top 10 in this department and I wouldn’t argue if you put him in your top 5. Anyone else think Holmes is somewhat forgotten h2h?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    I don't like Holmes but he is very strong H2H

He's not an easy fight for anyone

Flash24, TipNom, Sangria and 2 others like this.
  3. The Fighting Yoda

The Fighting Yoda Active Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    I don`t know, if he is underrated h2h. I think, he would have pretty good chances for instance against Holyfield and also against Lewis. He could be a really tough opponent for Lewis (stylewise).
    I heard and read from many boxing fans, that Holmes is underrated (in general, not particularly h2h), but because of that many are aware of that. So meanwhile, I assume, that he isn`t underrated anymore. Many boxing fans rank him as a top 5 heavyweight boxer of alltime. Maybe he is underrated by people, which are not so interested in boxing. Though I never talked with them about Larry Homes. That`s why, I don`t know.

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    He is the last great heavyweight, who did not lose to somebody who was not worthy to lace up their boxing gloves.

That might tell you something!

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Very close pair of fights

Not sure if I would give Spinks the W for the second fight

6. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes, but if you factor in those who lost to LHW non champions, then it doesn't look so bad!

7. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Second if you count subsequent LHW champions!

8. jarama

jarama Active Member Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Holmes is overlooked outside of boxing too, he is definitely in my top 5

9. Fuzzykat

Fuzzykat Member Full Member

Jun 18, 2019
    I have a hard time rating all time greats in order, so I don't know if he's top 10 or not. But I do believe Holmes was the best heavyweight I've seen during my time (started frequently watching boxing in 1979).

Maybe a prime Tyson beats him. Lewis and the Klitschkos might be very difficult due to their size. But over the past forty years, I'd rate him #1 or #2 depending on my mood I suppose.

10. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    He’s kind of like Tyson and Marciano in the respect he’s either completely overrated or underrated. He’s in my top ten HWs ever.

11. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Sure, but Spinks was among the greatest ever at LHW, & bulked up to over 200 lbs.
    That is more than so many HWs & some champions even fought at.
    And two close fights, Holmes maybe deserving #2.

A much more relevant critique would be the boxers, especially that like Witherspoon gave him a tough fight, or Williams, who likely deserved the decision...He did not fight or rematch.

GOAT Primo Carnera likes this.
  12. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Holmes is an all time top five everyone in straight through to today ..

13. fistfighter

fistfighter 44-3-1 (42KO's) Full Member

Oct 3, 2016
    I don't think he is underrated h2h, for some reason he just had a knack for being less "liked" than many others. Don't know why really. I think most recognize his talent and greatness, though.

I'm with some of you who posted above about him being top 5 against any heavyweight. Maybe higher. On he best days, he could frustrate any fighter and break them down round by round.

14. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    He's top 3-5 h2h to me idk what the general consensus is

Toney F*** U and robert ungurean like this.
  15. Jackstraw

Jackstraw Mercy for me, justice for thee! Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    The OP is the opposite of what I’ve always considered and read on forums; Holmes is universally considered a top 5 ATG heavyweight and on his best night is close to 50/50 with Louis, Ali and Lewis as to h2h match ups. In general he doesn’t get as much attention as Ali, Tyson or Marciano, but that’s because he wasn’t a brutal knockout puncher or flashy showman, not because he wasn’t one of the greatest heavyweights ever.

swagdelfadeel and fistfighter like this.