Larry Holmes v Lennox Lewis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Plumber From Liverpool, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Plumber From Liverpool

Plumber From Liverpool Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Prime Holmes vs Prime Lewis who you got.

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Holmes would out-box Lewis, 90`s heavyweights are overrated, Holmes would have beaten all of them.

3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Lewis would bug the hell out of Larry with his Steward-trained jab for around a couple of rounds, making the latter look not-so-great. Around the third or fourth Larry starts getting in the jab, and Lewis ends up looking gangly and awkward. He shakes Larry hard with rights in the 7th and 9th rounds, but by this time Holmes is finding the mark with the overhand right and makes Lewis' legs quiver hard when it lands flush. In the 11th and 12th Lewis is having trouble staying erect, the right hands are getting set up perfectly with the jab and he staggers and nearly falls in the last ten seconds of the 12th.

At the end of the fight Lewis is lumped up and looking really wasted. Holmes UD

15 rounds Lewis is stopped in 13.

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I’m leaning towards Holmes by a decision. Larry wasn’t the big plodding puncher type who Lewis easily dispatched. He was mobile, skilled, durable, and had one of the best jabs of all times. Lennox would be a dangerous opponent though and Larry couldn’t afford to get careless or sloppy or Lewis would finish what Shavers could not....

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Lewis is overrated. The only fighters in there prime worth there salt he beat are Briggs, Grant and Vitali- Lennys the SHW Marciano.

Flash24 and robert ungurean like this.
  6. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    If he took 13 to stop Cooney i don't see him stopping Lewis in 13. I'd say it goes the distance 12 or 15 rounds.

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I'm inclined to agree with you, though I still don't see Lewis winning.

mark ant and MarkusFlorez99 like this.
  8. boxingjunky

boxingjunky Member Full Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Grant!!?? Mercer would have been a much better choice

9. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Mercer hadn’t won a good fight In a hot minute and was past his best and lost to a forty something Larry Holmes.

10. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    The fact that you put one of his worst wins in there says all you need to know. To answer the question I could see Holmes winning a razor thin decision, he probably outjabs Lewis but he might hit the deck once or twice

11. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Tell me who else in there PRIMES did he beat who was better then that roster?

12. Bigcheese

Bigcheese Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Tua, Rahman, McCall, Morrison, Ruddock are better than Briggs and Grant. The past prime versions of Holyfield he beat are better. Gary Mason might even be better.

13. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Golota, Rahman rematch, Ruddock, arguably Tua, Bruno ? Yeah Bruno. Would you consider Morrison past his prime ? Im not sure because just before that he did beat a past it Ruddock which is his second best win behind Foreman

14. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    no, no. Only prime fighters.
    Rahman got beat by James Toney and stopped a prime Lewis lol Ruddock wasn’t prime and I said only prime fighters Holyfield was finished and It was still competitive. Lol

15. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Honestly not much between all those names and they’re al not close to his win over a really past it Holyfield. That tells me something.