Larry Holmes vs Deontay Wilder

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Joy_Rones, Oct 19, 2022.

[prime] Holmes vs [prime] Wilder

1. Easton Assassin

119 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. Bronze Bomber

21 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Redbeard7

Redbeard7 Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2022
    There's no point in debating me on this subject because objectively Fury schooled him.

Find me a fight where a champion lands fewer punches than Wlad did over 12 rounds and where the A-side champion loses by a wider margin than 8-4/9-3 in his own backyard. You'll also struggle to find more brazen showboating in boxing history, let alone in such a high level fight. Wlad was nullified, clowned and schooled.

2. Loudon

Loudon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Get real man.

3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I'm a fan of Wilder but this is...

Nevermind, I don't want to be disrespectful. Fury on his best day wasn't half a prime Larry Holmes. Holmes stops Wilder in 12, and it isn't even close.

mark ant likes this.
  4. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Mercer is a light puncher

Right.

Loudon and The Real Lance like this.
  5. mark ant

mark ant Ass isn't a banned word Full Member

May 4, 2017
    The only fighter Wilder has fought that was as skilled as Holmes was maybe Ortiz who was boxing his ears off until getting caught.

6. reckless

reckless Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    I'm no Wilder fan but Holmes went life and death with 6'0 Shavers, and Wilder is levels above Cooney.

7. hobby rider

hobby rider Active Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Hi Neet, how come you don’t use the alt - short round anymore?
    Has your mum thrown away all the scraps of paper with your passwords again?

Dynamicpuncher and Loudon like this.
  8. Loudon

Loudon Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    It’s got to be Neet.

9. West of Hollywood

West of Hollywood Active Member Full Member

Nov 17, 2018
    This is silly. Wilder would have at least a 0002% chance.

don owens likes this.
  10. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Good to know I'll add him to my block list.

Loudon likes this.
  11. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    As for this fight Holmes would school Wilder and stop him in 10 rounds, there is a possibility of Wilders right hand landing and it would be dangerous for Holmes. But Holmes had one of the best recuperative abilities ever, so if Holmes was floored by Wilders right hand. I think Holmes would be able to weather the storm.

12. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Yeah because Wilder is really comparable to a prime Mike Tyson isn't he ? 5'10 vs 6'7. Tyson is one of the fastest Heavyweights of all time, with an amazing defence, power in either hand, compared to Wilder who has has none of those attributes above.

And lastly 78-82 version of Holmes, is really comparable to the 38 year old Holmes in 88. Coming off two losses and a 2 year retirement right ?

13. The Clan

The Clan Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 11, 2007
    He’s put Tyson Fury down, is that it, is that your proof?
    Wilder knocked Fury down but didn’t knock him out, Fury got up and won the fight, even the 1st one.
    John McDermott put Fury down and so did Steve Cunningham who’s a Cruiserweight.

Deontay Wilder hits hard but there’s no proof and nothing to suggest that he’s got ATG power or the more ridiculous suggestion that he’s the hardest hitting Heavyweight in boxing history. Any one suggesting there is has drunk the coolaid and fallen for the hype.

His resume is so poor that there’s no way you can judge his power, the fighters he’s knocked down are exclusively club fighter level or worse. Fighters ranked in the 300s and 400s are no measure because they are ranked that low for a reason

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  14. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    Mercer gets overhyped because he stopped a vulnerable Morrison and lost a controversial MD to Lewis coming off poor form and a layoff. When he fought Lewis he was in the midst of a run with 1 stoppage win (against a small, chinny, washed up journeyman) in 8 fights. Ferguson x2, M. Willis, M. Wilson, Holyfield, Lewis and Witherspoon all went the distance with him, 5/7 of whom had been stopped previously, all inside 2 rounds. Mercer's poor KO record here is highlighted further by the fact that he was an aggressive fighter.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    mark ant likes this.
  15. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    In the first Ortiz fight Wilder was ahead on the cards at the time of the stoppage. The second was extremely low volume, Ortiz wasn't doing any real damage (despite being a far bigger puncher than Holmes) and then got cleaned out with a right to the forehead, with over 15 minutes left to go.