Larry Holmes vs. Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Russell, Aug 13, 2007.

1. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    I've always thought that Frazier would give Holmes fits.
    Holmes didn't have the power to back Frazier up which meant you were going to have a war with Joe and Joe didn't lose too many of those.
    We all know the skills and heart of Holmes but would he be able to stand up to the remorseless Frazier attack like Ali could?
    Or was Larry forever an Ali B-side and not as good as the original and likely to fold against Joe?
    Holmes would have to start as favourite but I've got my doubts about this one and think Frazier may win this.
    As for Marciano-Holmes I think that Marciano gives up a little too much in size and susceptibility to cuts and would come up a bit short against Larry but I wouldn't write him off.

2. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I'm not exactly sure that I would just automatically pick him, but I can't help but think that Joe Frazier might have given him a hell of a time, and on the right night may have beaten him. Frazier had a lot of handspeed and the right style to trouble even the best boxers. I need not even mention his three fights Muhammad Ali.

3. Holmes' Jab

Holmes' Jab Master Jabber Full Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Yes, I think he beats Rocky.

It's not out of the question that Rocky might have him down at some stage during the contest, given Holmes' great recuperative powers, though, he'd brave the storm and in the end emerge with the decision. Holmes by close UD.

Incidently I think Ali, Liston and Lewis are the three fighters who would give Larry the biggest problems in a prime for prime matchup. What y'all think?

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    My personal take on it.

I don't think he would have much chance against Jack Dempsey or Joe Louis. I would also make him a clear underdog against Marciano Liston and Frazier.

5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Nice post. Big Book of Boxing done Holmes - Frazier in their dream fights and Holmes won a ultra close decision from memory. Both went down i think.

6. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes, this match has stylistic drama and balls to the wall written all over it.

7. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Tho i don't entirely agree it's a fair call. I remember thru the 80's Holmes - Marciano was considered a very difficult match with Larry if anything the slight underdog.

8. Ramon Rojo

Ramon Rojo Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Holmes would win this easily

9. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    I can't possibly see Dempsey, who only defended his title six times in seven years, and only fought 4 black men, none of whom ranked, as possibly being favored over Larry Holmes. Joe Louis had a better legacy than Holmes with a 12 year reign and 25 title defenses, but head to head, this is a terrible matchup for Joe. Most of the better boxers whom Louis fought either gave him severe trouble or defeated him, ex. Billy Conn, Ezzard Charles etc. None of them were as good of a boxer, nor possesed the physical tools that Holmes had. I'll agree with Frazier being the best possible pick to beat Holmes, but probably no one else on your list.

10. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006

11. hopkinsfan07

hopkinsfan07 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    if this is a 12 rounder then Holmes by UD if its a 15 rounder Rock by ko/tko round 13-15

12. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Theoretically maybe, but Neither of those guys ever proved their abilities against the likes of a Muhammad Ali as Frazier did. Although I don't consider Holmes to be Ali, he still had many similarities, and ones that I feel could be a problem for Dempsey, Marciano and Louis.

13. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Walcott was just as tricky as Ali was. And it was not just one mere punch that won the fight. Marciano thouh behind, DID battler Walcott for 12 rounds. I think Marciano can get to Ali more often than not. And when Holmes starts to drop his hands in the later rounds as he often did, Marciano would wack him with the right hand imo. Marciano had way more displine in that department. Holmes takes the early rounds before Marciano's bruiseing style takes its toll on Holmes imo.

14. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Holmes UD 15 Marciano

I don't like Frazier's chances against Larry, because Holmes wasn't particularly susceptible to the hook, or a body attack. Dempsey would have been a lot more dangerous with his right, and the speed with which he sprung on retreating opponents.

The HW champion with the best shot at springing an upset over Holmes would be the erratic and wildly unpredictable Max Baer. Larry would box his ears off, but I don't think he had the artillery to take out Baer, and Maxie went 20 rounds with Uzcudun and King Levinski, dominating Levinski over that distance. He wouldn't wear down as Shavers did, and his right hand would be deadly throughout. Holmes would probably dominate him as Loughran did, but the puncher's chance would definitely be a live one.

15. Lex

Lex Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I'm not sure Holmes had the mobility to keep Marciano away for 15 rounds. I can see Larry beating Rocky to a pulp for 10-12 rounds with Rocky catching him late with his relentless pressure.