Larry Holmes vs Vitali Klitschko

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sas6789, Sep 25, 2017.

Larry Holmes vs Vitali Klitschko

1. Holmes By PTS

64.0%
  2. Holmes By KO/TKO

12.8%
  3. Draw

1.2%
  4. Vitali By PTS

14.0%
  5. Vitali By KO/TKO

8.1%
  1. mcvey

mcvey Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    And he has 2 inches reach on the Ukrainian!

lloydturnip likes this.
  2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I see your banned. When that reality changes, you might read what I have to say and learn.

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Baloney, he landed a hard right hand that sent Briggs a huge man going backward. Briggs' corner or the ref should have stopped the fight, and if this was a 15 rounder it would be a tragic ending.

report right after the fight:

Briggs, the former two-time titleholder, had done nothing in years to warrant this title shot, but because the heavyweight division is so weak on credible contenders, and because Briggs has a name, he got the fight. He might regret it after the absolutely massive beating he took. Klitschko, with the highest knockout percentage in heavyweight championship history, laid gargantuan punishment on Briggs for the entire fight, but Briggs never went down. He showed a big heart and absolutely nothing else. Klitschko pummeled him repeatedly with flush right hands, many of them the chopping variety to the side of the head and behind the ear. Punch after punch, Briggs, 38, of New York, just sopped it all up in a frightening display. Klitschko, 39, fought a flawless fight and seemed on the verge of a knockout several times, including in the seventh round when he buckled Briggs with a right hand near the end of the round. But the bell saved him and referee Ian John Lewis showed no interest in stopping it.

The pounding got worse in the eighth when the fight seemed to move from sporting event to simple and unnecessary public violence. Klitschko kept pounding away trying to get Briggs to go down, but he wouldn't, and Briggs' trainers (Herman Caicedo and Eddie Mustafa Muhammad) and Lewis showed a lot of bravery by letting the beating continue. In the end, Briggs made it to the final bell, but at what cost? He wound up in the hospital with a broken left orbital bone, a broken nose and a badly torn left biceps (for which he will need surgery). And who knows what other damage was done that won't present itself until later in Briggs' life? If Briggs was written off before the fight by most, he's now finished. He barely threw punches and took an inordinate amount of punishment.

4. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Holmes by his skill(jab), speed and heart considering klitschko was fragile against the brutal puncher Chris Byrd . True, Klitschko looked good against overweight and slow fighters like the old Sanders, old Lewis, old Briggs,Arreola ,Solis,Danny Williams,Charr,Chisora,Kevin Johnson,Sam Peter .The prime Holmes was a total different thing than these lumbering and ridicolous guys .

Rumsfeld likes this.
  5. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    You supported your argument with this break down but at the same time u kind of killed it. The Klitschko era was pretty weak and briggs being touted as a credible oponent proves it.

6. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Take a harder look at the guy's Larry faced. Not a whole lot of good defenses in that group, is there? Not even mediocre defenses. Lots of the face first opponents though. Susceptible to jabs opponents. And plodders. Tons of them, at a time when there were other opponents and styles available. But he didn't fight those guys.

Balder and BCS8 like this.
  7. Ronnie Raygun

Ronnie Raygun Active Member banned Full Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Holmes schools him
    Make his face look worse then what lewis did to him

8. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Holmes by 8-4, 10-5 type decision. Vitali would give Holmes a good fight with his awkwardness, size, activity, heavy hands, etc..but Holmes would have enough success with his brilliant jab and mix enough right hands and uppercuts to win it. Vitali was good at judging distance and leaning back to avoid shots, but I think Holmes could take advantage of this and land. He had pretty quick hands, accuracy, and long reach/wingspan.

Vitali usually fares better in mythical matchups than Wlad but Wlad might match up a little better with Holmes because of his right hand. Holmes was vulnerable to straight rights, Cus used to talk to Tyson about this when he was a teenager. I’m not making Wlad the favorite over Holmes but he’s a pretty live underdog, thanks in large part because of having a terrific straight right.

Balder likes this.
  9. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Tim Witherspoon had a good defense.
    Ken Norton was pretty sound.
    Carl Williams was taller and younger and a past his prime Holmes still won .

Larry Holmes would beat the crap out of VK. Better jab. Better chin. More heart and better skills.

10. salty trunks

salty trunks Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Vitali used his height very well. Holmes was definitely more of a complete fighter, but he would have to make Vitali fight a little. I think its a style thing as Holmes was the superior fighter, but this could be ugly.

11. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Vitali underated here, he had an excellent jab, good reflexes & a very hard right hand. Holmes would make the fight competetive but who did he fight even near Vitali's talent 6'5 James Smith 14 fights? Cooney never went past 8? Holmes would have to fight the perfect fight and against a good right hand puncher.

I think Vitali would be on Holmes huge avoidence list but would be an interesting fight if it happened

I see a late stop by Vital 10th 11th

BCS8 and Balder like this.
  12. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Holmes by close UD

I just look at Vitali's fight with a past it Larry Donald who is the closest thing to Larry Holmes stylistically that Vitali fought and i think to myself... yeah a prime Larry Holmes would beat this guy. I wouldn't even be suprised if Holmes tore Vitali's eye up with his jab like he did Cooney. But I'd say Vitali's size and the way he uses it would be a nightmare for Holmes in the early rounds

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021 at 9:26 PM
  13. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Vitali's face would be a mask of blood in less than 8. TKO in 9 at the outside.

14. BCS8

BCS8 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'd lean towards Vitali but Holmes would have a healthy shot of winning. Neither of these guys really faced anything like each other, so it gets hard to say for sure. How effective will Holmes' jab be at disrupting Vitali's gameplan? How does Holmes react to Vitali's awkward style, workrate and size? Vitali used to thrive on guys trying to pressure him. What happens against a balanced fighter like Holmes who has a complete gameplan? What if Vitali just says screw it midfight and uses his fabulous chin to walk through Larry's jab and turns it into a slugfest as per Lewis? Does Holmes have the firepower to hold him off?

Certainly Holmes would have a better shot at winning than Frazier vs Vitali ;)

Toney F*** U and Balder like this.
  15. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    If Vitali tried to pressure Holmes he'd have no success. Holmes moves around the ring far better than anyone Vitali faced and is a smaller target than Lennox Lewis. If i remember correctly it was actually Lewis who was on the front foot from round 3 onwards moreso than Vitali.

But I'd say that if Holmes doesn't dig deep then he looses