Larry Holmes vs.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Fighting Yoda, Jan 7, 2021.

1. The Fighting Yoda

The Fighting Yoda Active Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2021
    John Tate
    Gerrie Coetzee
    Greg Page
    Michael Dokes
    Pinkton Thomas

What do you think, who would win, if Holmes had fought these boxers during his career? Would Holmes beat them all at least prime vs prime?

2. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Last three on your list are close, best chance are Dokes and Thomas. If its the 85 Spinks version, I´ll give those three a nod.

3. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Holmes would defeat them all.

Tate-He would trouble Larry a couple good rounds, but just wouldn't be able 2 keep up w/ a mobile Holmes. He would get exhausted, and lose an easy UD, AT LEAST. Holmes might stop him late.
    Coetzee-Larry would dominate early. Coetzee would pull Larry into a brawl for a few rounds, which he would win, but Coetzee would wear himself out, and Larry would stop him-brutally.
    Page-Good scrap. Page hangs tough, but just can't box on the level Larry can, and just never was in great shape. Larry UD. Page wins a few rounds.
    Dokes-Dokes would outslug Larry 4 a while, and pose an interesting threat 2 Larry since I think he could outbox him, based mainly on his better mobility. I don't think Michael would quite make the distance though.
    Thomas-This is the most dangerous bout 4 Holmes 2 take. He's fighting a tough-as-nails guy who can hit hard, and who will trade an awesome jab w/ Larry's. It will be a very tough fight 4 Larry, but I have confidence he would pull an SD.

All good fights, except maybe the Tate fight. Some have the potential 2 be great 80s fights.

4. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I think the best some of them could do would be to get Larry into a tussle,,but none are beating him

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    An older Holmes may of had trouble with Dokes and Pinky. Michael Dokes would probably always have given Larry a hard time to be honest. He was very quick. Tate? No,

TipNom and swagdelfadeel like this.
  6. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Beats them all because he was better than them all.

7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    If Holmes fought them on a realistic timeline Page would have been a live underdog and Thomas would have been about 50-50.

Best for best he wins all tho some would have the odd moment and Thomas would be stylistically tough with his great jab and chin.

8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Prime Holmes gets all the W s.
    Thomas had the best chance of catching Holmes, shame it didn't happen.

9. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Holmes UD Tate
    Holmes UD Coetzee
    Holmes UD Dokes

If Holmes is forced to fight Page and Thomas instead of abdicating the WBC title after the Witherspoon scare I'd say

Holmes W Splitt dec Page and Thomas W UD Holmes

Page had the capability of beating Holmes in fall 83 but would most likely fu&k it up.

Absolute prime Holmes would beat Thomas

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  10. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Holmes beats them all even if hes past his prime.

Blaxx likes this.
  11. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Holmes beats them all.

12. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    He beats them all. I only see prime Ali beating prime Holmes

13. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    This is pretty much how I see it.

The Witherspoon fight was a turning point and Larry would have had some very tough challengers if he hadn't abdicated the WBC title and been forced to fight Kings stable of Page, Thomas, Tubbs and Witherspoon in a rematch.

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Spot on. Fair chance he would have lost the title before Spinks that's for sure. They would have been fascinating fights those.

Saad54 likes this.
  15. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Prime Holmes beats them all