Larry Merchant vs Max Kellerman

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by acb, Jun 26, 2007.

1. acb

acb De Camaguey... Gavilan Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    O´grady is horrible. I would rather have Max. :dead

2. vonBanditos

vonBanditos Mσderator Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I don't know if I would say that Kellerman fakes it, but I would say that his wisdom in the sport isn't up there with his knowledge. It's one thing to know what's happened in a fight, but it's another thing to understand the significance. Larry has always been opinionated, which we all are, but he has a long history with the sport and he's very well spoken so it's not surprising that he's so good.

I don't think that Max is really ready for this role, at least if he's supposed to actually fill the shoes that Larry has walked in, but I hope that he gets better because it looks like we're stuck with him. He enthusiastic, but I'm not really sold by it. I think that he can add that to the team, but it's a huge shame to lose what Larry brought to the table.

The bitterness towards Merchant, by the way, seems to me to be motivated more by his opinions than his quality.

3. fightking12

fightking12 Member Full Member

May 26, 2007
  4. Chief_Second

Chief_Second Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2007
  5. andyZOR

andyZOR Obsessed with Boxing banned

Feb 28, 2007
  6. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Actually, my viewpoint is pretty consistent with the majority, as the poll results show. The only thing different is I've been a critic of Kellerman since they handed that twerp the job at ESPN when he'd done NOTHING to show he was qualified for it, or deserved such a position. Now, HBO is repeatin the same mistake, and as a long-time boxing fan, I'm outraged. HBO should have the best commentators in the sport - SEASONED professionals who have demonstrated they are qualified for such a position. Someone like Al Bernstein or Steve Farhood fits that bill, Kellerman doesn't.

And most boxing fans know it! Which is why they should send those emails in, demanding that they get rid of Kellerman and get somebody like Bernstein!

www.hbo.com/apps/submitinfo/contactus/submit.do?title=HBO Boxing&questiontype=hboboxing

7. Shpion

Shpion IDF Full Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Larry ko Max at the weigh in.

8. Sweet Jones

Sweet Jones Boxing Addict Full Member

May 24, 2007
    I voted for Kellerman.

People keep insisting that Larry Merchant is this great fountain of boxing knowledge. And yet, after all these years, NO ONE has ever LEARNED anything from listening to him. Seriously ask yourselves: Has your boxing knowledge EVER been increased at all by anything he’s ever said, either during a fight or in the post fight interview? What nugget of information during a fight has he ever said that gave you some insight into why things were occurring in the ring? Think long and hard about that.

While some people may find his rantings entertaining, I don’t. I tune in to watch fighters fight, and I listen to hear the play-by-play guy describe WHAT is happening and the color commentator to explain WHY things are happening. Merchant adds nothing to that equation, even going so far as to challenge the color man analysis (RJJ, Foreman) and unofficial judges (Lederman), with no back up for his assertions (see the RJJ youtube clip). Does Merchant add ‘drama’ to the event? Nope, only brings attention to himself with his bloviated pontifications. Howard Cosell, he aint.

As I’ve said before, the bottom line is people do not tune in to watchthe watch the interviewer **** off fighters. Holmes, Tyson, BHop, ODLH, Mayweather, RJJ were some of HBOs biggest stars. And for their trouble, all they get was some self righteous idiot harassing them with irrelevant questions.

Kellerman may be a ‘fanboy’, but at least he explains WHY he is a fanboy of certain fighters. Disagree with him all you want to, but everyone knows the EXACT reasons why Kellerman loved Judah, Chris Byrd, Ike Ibeabuchi, RJJ, etc. Kellerman also calls it like he sees it, and manages to do so without putting himself at the center of attention.

And lastly, at least I know Kellerman actually enjoys boxing, and has some appreciation for the varied styles. Merchant has turned himself into this “if-it’s-not-Gatti-Ward-then-it-ain’t-entertaining” caricature.

HBO will improve in quality the DAY he goes off the air.

9. sandwichsurgeon

sandwichsurgeon Active Member Full Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Someone e-mail HBO a print screen of the poll results

10. vonBanditos

vonBanditos Mσderator Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    I think I understand why some people can like Kellerman, but can you answer your own question in regards to Kellerman? What has he taught you?

I think some of us just kind of appreciate the old man that tells you that things aren't as good as they were in the old days. We really won't have anyone else to say that to us when he's gone.

11. Lacyace

Lacyace Forever Knight Full Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Really great post. My thoughts exactly.

12. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Name all the legendary lines from a commentary box and 1/2 of them would probably come from Larry. The guy is a legend. Kellerman is ok but his voice annoys me and IMO, because hes walking into Merchants role...he just seems so pale in comparison.

13. Guru_Too_You

Guru_Too_You ESB OG circa '99 Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Sweet Jesus (Jones). Thats one helluva post.

14. Motor City Sam

Motor City Sam Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Excellent post. :good

15. Danny Ocean

Danny Ocean My nAmE IS MoNeY Full Member

Jun 19, 2007
    :thumbsup
    :good helluva post