Larry Olubamiwo Interview: 'Athletes dope for money. My goal was to make a living'

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by KermitTheFrog, Apr 21, 2020.

1. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    In what way? It’s much the same as the UFC and USADA deal.

2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Yes, of course it is a conflict of interest.
    Sometimes the athletes pay for a testing programme. Pay a lot of money. To these agencies.

kojak and CutThroatFade like this.
  3. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    tdf1974, I've seen part of that transcript before but not all of it in that level of detail.

That is mind blowing really, theres more people then ever who are getting popped these days but its still a ridiculously small % of those doping.

Maria Sharapova's was the best, she came out and took control as if it was all a mistake, didn't know the drug was moving onto the banned list etc. If she wasn't such a superstar she'd of had the book thrown at her. She has a strong and expensive PR team behind her and they managed to convince the majority of the public that, whilst yes she took the drug it was without knowing it was to be banned (laughable).

I guess what frustrates me the most is not even the fact the athletes do it. It's that still journalists, reporters, presenters bury there heads in the sand and refuse to admit it's a huge problem, or down play the existence of it in there countries athletes (UK examples given on this thread).

It's almost like they don't want to or refuse to accept the reality.

I absolutely loved the documentary Icarus and if people don't think other major countries athletes are doping, including our own, then they are incredibly naive.

Journey Man and Unforgiven like this.
  4. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    In the way the people they are testing are thr people paying them. Obvious conflicts of interest

5. Wig

Wig Boxing Addict Full Member

May 31, 2010
    Juiced up to the sally gunnels.

Juiced to the absolute gills.

6. KermitTheFrog

KermitTheFrog The people doing the banning are idiots Full Member

Sep 5, 2012
    If that was the case I wouldn’t have expected some of the biggest names in the UFC such as Jon Jones (multiple times), Anderson Silva, Brock Lesnar, Nick Diaz, Lyoto Machida, Frank Mir, Junior Dos Santos, Fabrício Werdum etc to fail USADA tests and serve bans of varying lengths making them unavailable to fight.

7. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Very true but USADA seem a bit more legit than VADA as atleast they get funding from the governement. I presume all of VADAs funding comes from the people they are testing right? Not sure how accurate that is.