Last Fight Critique

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by JamesNZ, May 23, 2017.

1. JamesNZ

JamesNZ New Member Full Member

May 21, 2017
    This is my second corporate fight, I'm in the red corner and would love some constructive criticism. Won the fight by unanimous decision but to be fair my opponent had not been training long at all. Bit of background on me, Iv been training for about a year and a half now but not very consistently. The gym I train at is a boxercise gym with only a few of us that spar regularly and are keen on competition but no real commitment from the trainers part to commit to us. One of those gyms where the guys I train with have taught me more than the trainer, which means most of us are kind of self taught then teaching others..and so on..not so good in the long run.

As alot of you guys on here are very clued up on the sweet science I thought id try my luck and see if I can get any tips or advice to better myself as a beginner.

Video got filmed on a phone sideways and Iv tried everything to flip it but it crops half the video out so sorry if it unwatchable for some of you and understand if you cbf with it.

This content is protected

2. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Dang everyone in that video is very good at fighting gravity.

3. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    You did good
    And you probably already know how to improve. Better guard, more jab, be more compact.
    Your power 1-2 is nice. And you have good awareness with your movement and positioning.
    Just keep doing what you're doing at the gym and keep improving. Good job on the win.

4. Caimán

Caimán Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The typical problem of a tall guy: no guard.

This will make you suffer a lot when you face an opponent that's taller or quicker or close the distance easy or parry your punches or simply good timing.

That guard won't only cost you some extra punishment but also make your punches wider (not use your entire body nor quick to combinate). Also, I'm a infighter and a thing I love is a tall opponent with low guard cuz it let me close the gap whenever and however I want, as there is no hand to block my way in.

Counter punches, step backs, pivoting, faster and stronger combinations, resting your body, controlling the distance, less energy used to punch, block the sigh of your opponent... All those will improve if you get used to a higher guard as your neutral stance (not leaving your body exposed either).

That's the best thing to make you a better boxer, my thoughs.

captain hook likes this.
  5. JamesNZ

JamesNZ New Member Full Member

May 21, 2017

6. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Good work. I wouldn't change too much. Keep your hands up a little higher but not too high, what you got works for you. Work on your technique on your hooks, you looked a little slappy in there. Put more authority behind your jab.

That's it. Don't change your style up too much like I said. That isn't good for a fighter.

7. Caimán

Caimán Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2015
    About your left arm: Yes, that's actually a 'must' if you are fighting at middle/long distance (good vision, longer/stronger straight punches and easier to calculate the distance).

About your right arm:
    As you said keep it in position to block (palm to your cheek) or parry (palm slightly higher, pointing forward). Note: a tight right guard doesn't mean the arm is rigid, you must rest your arm in that position allowing you to move freely, feint and participate in the motion of a power punch (left or right).

I like how practical and simple are the stances of Mikey Garcia and Jorge Linares, try watching some of their fights (probably highlights will only show their punches).