Lawrence Okolie

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by BXNG101, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I wasn't speaking of sky specifically. I mean in general. If contracts meant nothing then what you are saying is all promoters should be able to just go and sign whoever they want regardless of contracts.

There would be no boxing promoters if that was the case. Why would any promoter take the financial risk associated with making fights when the same fighter could just go and sign for someone else whenever they want?

2. lefthook82

lefthook82 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2009
    That was disgusting from Okolie tbh. Hearn has done wonders for him. The money that Boxer are offering must be very stupid

Koli55 likes this.
  3. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Well said Sir.

4. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I dont understand why Boxxer / Sky Sports will offer Lawrence Okolie so much money, because I have a hard time seeing them get their money back.

To many of Okolie's fights on Sky Sports, there were not very many viewers and now he suddenly will be "the main man" on Sky Sports Boxing ...?

5. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    He'll probably fight Rhiakpohre in a unification potentially after a defence, and then move up to heavyweight, where he could fight Parker or even Whyte both on PPV. Remember Okolie and Whyte have history before due to Okolie releasing sparring footage.

6. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    I know very well the plan and Sky Sport's intentions but Okolie on Sky Box Office ?

Who in this forum will pay to watch him fight ? He does not sell any tickets.

7. lefthook82

lefthook82 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2009
    And what if Riakphore sparks him. Then what?

I suspect he would need to get a belt first

8. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Two thoughts on this.

1. Sky doesn't need its money back; its primary concern is to fill up channels and give people things to watch. The channels have budgets to do that.

2. Sky Boxing has a budget which Matchroom used to spread across a wide range of fighters, inflating all their earnings - where Sky can concentrate on a handful of 'names' and clearly has Boxxer over a barrel to an extent too. Shalom won't be getting rich off these deals but he's establishing himself in the game.

9. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    Do you think it's too late for Okolie to change his style abit under a new trainer/training regime and become more exciting and engaging to watch? He clearly has the power. That way, he can be a star for Sky boxing.

10. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    It did seem like McGuigan was helping in that sense. I think alot of the clinching is down to Okolie and **** refs letting him get away with it.

iamthegreatest likes this.
  11. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Nobody is saying a contract means nothing

Anyone is welcome to challenge one, boxer or promotor

You say why would any promotor take the financial risk but that works both ways

Why would a boxer risk life changing injuries in a fight if he might have a chance of earning more money for doing the same thing?

Okolie clearly sees a better future elsewhere and is trying to force the issue

In a career with such a short window, i don't blame him

However the way he has gone about it it weak and for that i can not back him

12. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Okolie thought his deal was up. Sacked his management and told his promoter he wanted out due to money on the table from Sky. His promoter one made him aware they had matching rights and two made him aware they are not out of contract and he was now in breach of contract. Okolie then publicly slanders the promoter.

given Johnny depp just won a big case for this. I would say Hearn is currently being very good about the situation as he could now sue Lawrence for big money and make his life very difficult. If Hearn actually matches the offer from Sky he could tie Lawrence into another long term deal.

Okolies unprofessional attitude could massively kill his career here.

nothing wrong with reading your contract. Finishing it and then moving like every other boxer does

Jolly Roger and Brixton Bomber like this.
  13. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    plus they upped the budget 25% from the one Matchroom had

Bob Flaps likes this.
  14. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    You would think with his non-fan friendly style that he'd keep his mouth shut. Nobody likes watching him fight.

15. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Sky could always buy the contract out if they want him that much.

Accurate likes this.