Leg exercises for power.

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by VG_Addict, Feb 23, 2015.

1. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Really? Because I'm seeing various stories and details on calorie intake for US prisoners ranging for 2500 calories per day to 3000 or more.

2. TJ Max

TJ Max Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 2, 2013
    I don't even think it's as simple as just having a calorie surplus.

Once you reach a certain point, you literally have to trick your body there is an abundance of food to put on muscle.

That's why you hear stories of guys waking up at 3AM to have a protein shake.

3. TheRat

TheRat Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Floyd Mayweather never had a S&C coach, and he's top ten greatest fighter.

[yt]Rv53FhrOznE[/yt]

4. light-welter

light-welter Active Member Full Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Maybe a little bit off topic but while we're talking about how boxers train and prepare, boxing science give some good insight into Mayweather and Pacquiao's preparation.
    http://boxingscience.co.uk/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-scientific-verdict/

Interesting reading what they had to say about Alex Ariza, is all his strength training based around callisthenics? If so he has got pretty amazing results using only plyo's and body weight exercises.

In terms of what they say about the training regimes, it's true that when you watch and compare videos of Floyd and Manny train, Floyd's sessions seem to be a higher volume and lower intensity (we've heard about him sparring rounds longer than 5 minutes) compared to Pacquiao's. This is also true in the way they fight. Pacquiao is a high intensity intermittent sort of fighter, Floyd boxes at a continuous easy pace. I'm sure if you measured their heart rates it would reflect that.
    The article also highlights the importance of training being of high intensity for amateur boxing, not long an aerobic like many old time trainers will have you believe!

5. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Absolutely false. If you don't have the amino acid pool to draw from you're net balance of muscle protein synthesis is going to be on the wrong side, and it will accelerate weight loss (of muscle mass) if anything.
    If you don't have enough energy in your diet then you're losing weight, no matter what you do. To suggest otherwise would defy the laws of science.

6. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    What are you talking about, Ellerbe is his strength coach (qualified/decent or not). Floyd focused on building his legs as he moved through divisions.
    And what does S+C have to do with skills as a boxer? Being stronger helps with acquisition of skill, but that's probably redundant if you've been boxing since you were 5. Dumbass.

7. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Why are you focused on 'to failure'? Volume load underpins mechanical stimulation that causes muscle growth, 'to failure' generally means that you're not recruiting higher threshold motor units and limiting the total amount of work you can do.

Nobody says you need to eat twice as much, it's simply a matter of positive or negative net amino acid balance.

8. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    And? You think this proves something?

9. TheRat

Aug 4, 2011
    Come on now. S+C helps but you make it seem like more important than the actual boxing workout it self.

10. Jake_Lamotta

Jake_Lamotta Member Full Member

Jul 16, 2008
    loves your tips greynotsoold! who would you say to study to develop a good left hook? love this punch and want to learn all I can to get a better understanding of the mechanics!

11. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Watch Carlos Zarate, Ricardo lopez, buddy McGirt. A lot of guys have great left hooks, and a lot of having a great left hook is in how you set it up.
    As far as the technique...From your stance, drop your weight onto your right foot and then turn over it. This whips your fist through. When you watch guys throw the punch-you'll see that many times they throw it by pushing off the front foot. This way will leave you lacking when it comes to throwing a right hand; the way I described will not.
    But if you watch lopez and Arguello and many others, you'll see them pushing off that front foot. that goes back to what I mentioned about setting the punch up, what you are trying to do, etc...But when you are really trying to turn on it, get the weight back onto your right foot.

12. Jake_Lamotta

Jake_Lamotta Member Full Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Thanks, ill check these guys out! ive been studying joe Louis and sugar ray Robinsons left hooks lately! I hear they referred to there hooks as rising hooks? elbow trajectory stays low and only rises on impact, very short and compact! both get weight on back foot! im also not a fan of the 'modern left hook' leaves them in vulnerable position to much emphasis on weight over lead foot!

13. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    Of course not, but when it's neglected or done poorly (as it is with a lot of boxers) then it makes a massive difference. That's when the ped accusations come out.

14. TheRat

Aug 4, 2011
    oh i see where you're coming from.