Leigh Wood vs. Josh Warrigton: Face Off

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Oct 2, 2023.

1. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    It´s too expensive. The main event is good but the undercard is very poor. Hope we get a real cracker between Wood and Warrington but Warrington has been very negative in his boxing style lately so I doubt it.

ALN93 and Bfcad like this.
  2. Bfcad

Bfcad Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2022
    I thought the undercard was poor too - but then I got told 42 year old Breakhus (2 losses in last 3 fights, 1 win since 2019) was on the card vs Harper! WHAT A FIGHT! The only thing that could top this is watching Nina Hughes (41 years old 6- 0) vs Shannon Courtenay (8-2) In an Orlando hotel function room whilst streaming Saudi League football

3. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Can't believe how horrendously bad this fight has been promoted.

velagod and Bfcad like this.
  4. Bfcad

Dec 10, 2022
    It's an absolutely quality fight (not often you can say that these days,sadly). If there was ever a fight prime for a stadium event this is it, and it's ended up at a destination local to neither set of fans - Sheffield arena not sold out! They have really missed an opportunity with this

Murderers' Row and Astro like this.
  5. Astro

Astro Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2021
    That's actually a pretty good point - especially considering Eddie Hearn is the promoter :)

Bfcad likes this.
  6. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    How is the undercard “very poor”? There are no journeymen fights unlike some of the British cards we have seen recently. Conway vs Udofia and Price vs Coghill could be a double-header on its own card like certain promoters like to do.

7. ALN93

ALN93 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 12, 2023
    DAZN promo is crap. Them knock off Gloves Are Off face offs with that Ade bloke and Hearn doing interviews with his own media company.

About 6-7k from Leeds and Nottingham combined have bought tickets. Over 10k Leeds were travelling to Manchester to watch Warrington a few years ago.

Bfcad and Murderers' Row like this.
  8. ALN93

May 12, 2023
    Terri Harper is chief support on the undercard. Says it all.

Bfcad and Astro like this.
  9. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Cost of living or Warrington fans bored of all the US and unification fight false promises?

I am surprised he never had a fight in North America a few years ago with his loyal fan base. Probably didn’t help switching promoters and we know Warren has no desire to take boxers abroad if it means more work for him. Even Selby had one in the States.

Bfcad likes this.
  10. Bfcad

Dec 10, 2022
    Probably a bit of both, the cost of hotels and travel has shot up a lot in last couple of years, a fight night away including beers / food your realistically looking at several hundred pounds now - its certainly a lot more than a few beers and a taxi from your local arena.

But also perhaps Warringtons support has slightly declined - he's had 6-7 years of cracking support but last couple of fights haven't been quite as busy

Sonny1 likes this.
  11. ALN93

May 12, 2023
    They were told ‘last fight in Leeds before America’ one too many times I think. Novelty wore off.

One of my mates is a huge Leeds fan home and away, used to go to all of Warrington’s fights. He didn’t even know the fight was this Saturday.

12. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Warrington getting all of Leeds to buy tickets to see him at the Rugby stadium to then head butt his way to a no contest can't have helped his appeal

13. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Just been listening to Froch's podcast - in the same section he both says Warrington is on the slide and lost his last fight, then says he deserves a title shot "because he's a warrior".

The only reason he would deserve a title shot is on commercial risk/reward terms for Wood, and that's the truth - it's a winnable fight. Whether Warrington brings much commercial value these days seems up for debate.

Astro, VanBasten and Ex Army Jim 39 like this.
  14. Ex Army Jim 39

Ex Army Jim 39 couldnt believe the price of chairs banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2022
    leighs woods a 35 year old fella with a perm n warrington well hes 33 year old with miles on clock no longer flavour of month was he ever

15. Inglis_1

Inglis_1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 4, 2018
    35 year old with a perm :lol: ya got me there Jim.

Ex Army Jim 39 likes this.