Leigh Wood vs. Josh Warrigton: Face Off

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Oct 2, 2023.

1. smoking mirrors

smoking mirrors Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2023
    wasn’t a fight in the US with Santa Cruz/Russell Jr being negotiated just when covid hit?

I have some sympathy for Warrington as the pandemic screwed his career momentum more than any other boxer

VanBasten likes this.
  2. Aussietralia

Aussietralia New Member banned Full Member

Jul 9, 2023
    The pandemic screwed boxers who didn't have the resources behind them to even get onto shows. Warrington was able to box and he got knocked out, that's kind of nonsensical to blame it on the pandemic and a weirdly privileged position from which to argue. To say more than any boxer is ridiculously sweeping and just plain silly.

BoxingLoyalist likes this.
  3. smoking mirrors

smoking mirrors Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2023
    ok then pedant, “top level boxers” which is what I meant.

we all know a boxing career is about timing, that was his moment to get a big fight, and it looked like it was going to happen. just looking at it from a career perspective, not making excuses for his loss to Lara.

VanBasten likes this.
  4. Murderers' Row

Murderers' Row Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Well you're sort of right but they're still relatively big domestic names.

VanBasten likes this.
  5. londonboxingess

londonboxingess Active Member Full Member

Nov 30, 2012
    This is one of them fights on Sky would be reasonably big, getting pushed with the football on, pushing that angle etc, as it's on DAZN nobody has even mentioned it out of my friends

6. ALN93

ALN93 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 12, 2023
    Yep they’d have both on Soccer AM, both at the Leeds and Forest games on tele etc.

A fella at work watches all boxing on Sky and BT (first thing he asked me Monday was about the Joyce fight as I’d been on holiday the week before) but had no idea this fight was on.

7. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    It’s a great match up. Proper trade fight. Can’t wait for this one. I think Warrington takes it on points.

VanBasten and DramaShow like this.
  8. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Wood was much more game in both his fights against Lara, Warrington doesn't have the same dog in him.

9. VanBasten

VanBasten Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2017
    I don’t think Warrington has the power to keep Wood off him. I see this going the same way as Warrington v Lara.

10. BoxingLoyalist

BoxingLoyalist New Member Full Member

Sep 4, 2023
    “35 year old fella with a perm” ha,ha,ha, belter Jimbo lad

VanBasten likes this.
  11. Ex Army Jim 39

Ex Army Jim 39 couldnt believe the price of chairs banned Full Member

Jun 26, 2022
    to obvious brixton straight on to ignore along with your other names shawn michaels seanb1 beatdownz and whatever else cant mind

12. BoxingLoyalist

BoxingLoyalist New Member Full Member

Sep 4, 2023
    ? got me confused with someone else mate, first time member been reading for years not a troll or anything but no mither think whatya want r kid

13. Craigt93

Craigt93 Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Looking forward to Wood Warrington. As I have mentioned on here before I’m a big fan of Warrington.

Think it can go either way, but understand why Wood is the favourite at the bookies. But then Warrington always turns up when he’s expected to lose so can’t really read much into it.

But it’s not the same Josh Warrington either that fought Selby or Galahad.

Warrington’s loss to Lopez looks better considering how Lopez has gone on with his wins. But the question for me is if Wood lands on the jaw which Martinez broke how’s Warrington going to respond?

Wood gets a lot of credit and I’m not going to rubbish his wins but let’s not forget there hardly elite wins. Reece Mould, Can Xu, Conlan and Lara. Hardly top of the tree opponents. Especially after a loss to Jazza Dickens and getting KO’d by Lara in the first match.

Warrington looks in great shape as always, but he’s got to start fast. Can’t afford to let Wood get on top in the early rounds. How will the weight affect Wood at 35?

Retirement for the loser beckons. Not sure what the winner does too? Moves up for Cordina early next year?

DramaShow likes this.
  14. Lil Niall

Lil Niall Active Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Warrington giving up his title to take on Lara in a non title fight has surely got to be the worst decision in recent years. Although he got his title back it derailed momentum & held his career back a few years.

15. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    The winner will almost certainly fight Joe Cordina next year. They will struggle deciding a location though as Cordina would like that fight at Cardiff Castle but Wood's next fight has to be at the City Ground - it will be interesting to see if Cordina accepts fighting away from home as the World Champion.

Really looking forward to the main event. It brings back old memories of the world level fights between Brits. Also excited about Conway vs Udofia on the undercard. If Hopey Price beats Conor Coghill, he becomes mandatory for Nathaniel Collins' British Title.

Even Nico Leivars on Before the Bell has a good step-up. It's a great night of boxing.