Leigh Wood vs. Josh Warrigton: Face Off

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Chuck Norris, Oct 2, 2023.

1. ALN93

ALN93 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 12, 2023
    Would love Wood to win but think Warrington outworks him and nicks a decision. Wood looks tight at the weight and under Davison likes to fight on the outside but Warrington won't sit off him. Can see Warrington taking rounds on inside work and work rate.

2. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    If you think Wood looks tight Warrington looks like a skeleton. He's got no weight in his face at all. They both look a bit gaunt usually but jeez Warrington can't be making the weight easily.

3. Aussietralia

Aussietralia New Member banned Full Member

Jul 9, 2023
    Warrington never was and never will be a top level boxer. That's farcical. You're good! :)

Beale likes this.
  4. @Maley

@Maley Active Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Top level. His a 2 time world champion whos defended his titles numerous times. His not elite but if his not top level what's the bar.

VanBasten and zulander like this.
  5. Craigt93

Craigt93 Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Christ I’d love to see what a top level boxer is, it a two time world champion isn’t one.

VanBasten, zulander and DramaShow like this.
  6. Aussietralia

Jul 9, 2023
    "His not elite but if his not top level what's the bar."

I think you mean he's not his, but your sentiment doesn't make much sense either. He's not elite but you insinuate that he's top level. Top means top. It means you can't go higher. So how can "elite" be superior to top? What does elite mean?

7. Aussietralia

Jul 9, 2023
    Two-time belt holder, sure. Boxing must be the only sport in the world where you can be a world champion but clearly not the best in the world.

8. ALN93

ALN93 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 12, 2023
    Never got the ‘2 time thing’ like it’s a huge achievement… surely it’d be better to never lose the belt in the first place and be 1 time?

As for Warrington, he’s 2 time because he vacated a belt as he didn’t want to fight his mandatory and waited for someone old and past it to win it before suddenly deciding he wanted it back.

9. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Top level to me means world-class can fight and beat other world-class fighters. Warrington has clearly done that in his career.
    Elite to me, means ATG. Ray Robinson, Duran, Hearns, Pac, Mayweather etc etc

All semantics really and people will have different definitions but that's my take on it.

Punchdrunk1, VanBasten and @Maley like this.
  10. Craigt93

Craigt93 Member Full Member

Oct 15, 2020
    He beat Selby, Frampton, and Galahad. 3 of the best in recent times in the UK at the weight.

Don’t get me wrong, Josh has his faults and limits. No ones claiming he’s pound 4 pound but he’s definitely a justified top level featherweight.

He’s missing a big American off his resume which is a shame as with a bit more luck he could have got his shot, and you would have fancied him straight after the Frampton fight.

Wizbit1013 and zulander like this.
  11. smoking mirrors

smoking mirrors Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2023
    Warrington was supposed to be just a limited ticket seller but beat up the “boxing hardcore”’s favourites Selby and Frampton as an underdog…some people still haven’t got over that in regards to their attitude towards him

VanBasten and @Maley like this.
  12. @Maley

Aug 30, 2016
    Prettty simple imo. Elite unified world champion. How u can not call a world champion top level is beyond me.

13. @Maley

Aug 30, 2016
    Very good post. I'd been a fan b4 the sky shows. I get why people don't like him but that doesn't change his accomplishments in the ring.

14. Aussietralia

Jul 9, 2023
    Because in boxing world champion doesn't equate to top level. A boxer can be a world champion, but isn't the best in the world. It's not that hard to grasp, is it?

Was Tony Bellew top level?

Sonny1 likes this.
  15. @Maley

Aug 30, 2016
    Held the wbc world title not exactly rubbish was he.