Lennox Lewis chin: is it bad as advertised?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Jun 2, 2023.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    By no means , Lewis fought a collection of big punchers and was only stopped by two Hail Mary punches.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Eddie Futch ,Bowe's trainer did not fancy the match.

Stevie G likes this.
  3. Vic The Gambler

Vic The Gambler Active Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2022
    [
    Yes, Lennox didn’t look too sure at all did he…not even a fake smile for his old foe. I suspect their dislike of eachother ran very deep.

Pugguy likes this.
  4. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Lewis genuinely dislikes Bowe. Always has, ever since the Olympics.

Lewis saw him as lesser and this wasn't helped when, apparently, Bowe asked Lewis if he could share the winner's podium with him during the medal ceremony - to which Lewis calmly said 'No', while looking directly down at Bowe, smiling and shaking Bowe's hand - down at the Silver level of the platform. :lol: - I suspect Lewis saw him as a bit pathetic even then.

Roughly 15 years later, I recall Bowe being sentenced to prison and promising a comeback when he got out, which would include a bout with Lewis. IIRC, at the time, Steward said something to the effect that Lewis was the last person Bowe should fight in his comeback because Lewis wouldn't care about Bowe's diminished state - Lewis would show him no mercy and quite likely cause him serious injury.

5. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    If McCall gets caught completely unaware, going straight back with his hands down that shot is having a serious impact. Same with Mercer and Holyfield who were both put down by shots that weren't quite as impactful. I think there's a good chance that they're all probably going to hit the mat in that situation. McCall might be the exception, but if he doesn't roll or brace for that punch he's still probably in serious trouble at absolute best.

Spreadeagle, h8me and Man_Machine like this.
  6. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes Lennox was legitimately KO'd by both Oliver McCall & Hasim Rahman. Any HW caught the way Lennox was would have suffered the same fate. Lennox had one serious flaw though he tended to underestimate fighter he thought were not dangerous. Just look at the way he disposed of Rahman in the rematch The classic KO!!!!
    When people thought he was going to be beaten by Ruddock, Golota , Klitschko, Tua etc It was a different Lennox. He was lucky he wasn't derailed by Frank Bruno he was struggling until Frank stated gassing & Lennox took charge. Take away the losses to McCall & Rahman & Lennox would have ended his career an undefeated champion. His chin was solid

Pugguy and Spreadeagle like this.
  7. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I'll tell you right now: If it's not as bad as advertised, I'm returning it.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  8. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    I don't know that his record would have ended up as good, but had he showed up to every fight in aggressive mode, he'd have been way more popular with fans. The Lewis who bombed out guys like Ruddock and Golota was the most exciting fighter since Tyson. The cautious patent Lewis was a better fighter overall, but wasn't exactly exciting.

Greg Price99 likes this.
  9. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I suggest you watch some boxing.......none of you list above are heavy handed, they are average hitters, fact, Mercer never stopped anybody with a pulse except fringe contender Tommy Chin, Briggs is the definition of a Tomato can crusher because he never ever stopped a life body, VK is a arm puncher who needs 700 flush shots to get a TKO...................if prime Foreman/Tyson/Bowe would have nailed old Lewis like arm puncher VK did a couple of times, Lewis would have taken the 100 count nap, guaranteed.

10. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Holyfield is a average hitter at best because he never hardly stopped anybody on the elite level, his claim to fame is getting a standing TKO against a washed up Tyson who fought less than a dozen rounds in 5 years while throwing the entire kitchen sink at him, next is a obese no show Douglas and then we have glass chinned Moorer who he needed two tries to get, again, a standing TKO while a slow as molasses old fossil waxed said fighter with one blow.

So naturally Evan Fields is talking Lewis's chin up because he could not crack it in a 24 round snooze fest loosing effort.

I know you have to move some empty Beer kegs, courtesy of your respectable mid section, to make room for full ones, so I will not bother you too much now.

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    There it is, those two Holyfield wins over Mikey that still torture you to this very day, more than a quarter of a century later.

This content is protected

12. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    :lol:

swagdelfadeel and JohnThomas1 like this.
  13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    The anguish is palpable.

Man_Machine and swagdelfadeel like this.
  14. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Damn smart post.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  15. Marvelous_Iron

Marvelous_Iron Active Member Full Member

Jul 9, 2022
    Lewis avoided full blown aids in his fight against Morrison