Lennox Lewis. Does he have some holes in his legacy?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Why literally EVERY thread about Lennox turns into Lewis-Vitali discussion? WTF?

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Ask Mendoza.

3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006

4. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    It's not false at all. Re-read what I said and you will discover that I was paraphrasing the physician's comments.

As to being taken out by one punch, I have two views of this.

If he were taking out several times or knocked down several times, I would judge him harshly on this, but in my view a more important criteria than being taken out by one punch, is how many times was a fighter down in his career.

The fact that many others, Foreman, Tyson, Wlad were knocked down more times in one fight than Lewis has been in his entire career, means that he can take a pretty good punch.

5. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    To be honest, Vanboxingfan, neither Foreman nor Tyson were knocked down 3 times in any fights. Wlad was.

6. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    When we're talking guys about 250 lbs, anyone can be taken out with one punch if they're not careful. Lewis was careless and paid the price. That will happen now and then. It very nearly happened to both Ali and Holmes.

But the way Wlad has been taken out is much worse. He has basically showed a total lack of a basic defense when hurt and pressed. His arms are flapping, his chin is up, his balance is terrible. Novice stuff.

Against Peters in the first fight he managed to survive by hanging on for dear life, and while that shows increased experience it is at the core an illegal tactic and I don't think he'd have a basis for complaint if he actually was disqualified in that fight.

Lewis showed an altogether other composure when hurt by guys like Briggs and Vitaly. That's why I feel pretty confident he'd walk all over Wlad if both were at their best.

7. ribtickler68

ribtickler68 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 27, 2013
    He has two big holes in an otherwise excellent legacy.

8. Vanboxingfan

Vanboxingfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I stand corrected.

Foreman was knocked down at least twice against Lyle, and against Lewis Tyson was knocked down a minimum of twice, so I should have said equalled the number of times Lewis was dropped, not exceeded it. But the point of only going down twice in an entire career is still valid.

9. The Mongoose

The Mongoose I honor my bets banned

Aug 13, 2009
    Than who was? Only Wlad had a better case but he was still taking his time with WBO silliness and not in an immediate position to fight Lewis like Byrd was.

Also when Wlad lost to Sanders, Byrd was the clear leading contender for several months when Lewis decided only Kirk Johnson was worthy.

10. The Mongoose

Aug 13, 2009
    Absolutely. Byrd and Ruiz would have to rate above those four(they actually beat them or the guys that beat them). Had Lewis fought and beat them, it would be hard to think of better individual opponents on his resume...the unproven Vitali who would go on to do great things but lost to Byrd previously, the aging Holyfield, a doped up Golota, maybe post-Tyson Ruddock? I don't see them as being clear level above wins.

11. The Mongoose

Aug 13, 2009
    And for the people trying to bring up supposed holes in Holyfield's resume and bring up Dokes, Foreman, Cooper, and Holmes..etc.

Dokes was a belt holder and rated above the still rising beltless Holyfield and a necessary win to move him up the WBC ratings to get a shot at Tyson. This was only Evander's 3rd Heavyweight fight.

Holyfield signed to face Foreman before winning the title from Douglas, and had to honor that. Ruddock and Tyson were still locked up with each other, and Lewis wasn't regarded as a top guy just yet, you'll notice he wasn't even in RING's top 10 at this time.

Bert Cooper was a third string very short notice replacement. Ruddock was still out with injuries he suffered against Tyson, Holyfield signed to face Tyson, who pulled out on short notice with the discovered rib injuries. Damaini who was an undefeated top contender was the replacement, but he pulled out with an ankle injury I recall maybe just a week before the fight, and Cooper was willing to take the short notice fight to salvage the 11-23 date.

Holmes had not only beat but had just absolutely schooled Mercer, who at the time was an undefeated leading contender. Ruddock at this time was already signed to fight Page in a comeback fight from his injuries. The only better available name was Bowe who Evander would fight next.

12. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Wlad was number one in 2001 & 2002 when Lewis was Champion.

13. The Mongoose

Aug 13, 2009
    Only Wlad had a better case but he was still taking his time with WBO silliness and not in an immediate position to fight Lewis like Byrd was.

Also when Wlad lost to Sanders, Byrd was the clear leading contender for several months when Lewis decided only Kirk Johnson was worthy.

14. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Dokes was number 3 in 1989 when he fought Holyfield.
    Holyfield was no 2 in1987, no 1 in1988, & no 2 in 1989.

15. The Mongoose

Aug 13, 2009
    RING ratings. Ring ratings don't get you mandatory title shots. Holyfield was installed as RING's #2 HW before his first fight above 200, but Dokes was the WBC Continental Champion and the path to moving up the real ratings was through him. Holyfield became WBC #1 after beating Dokes and Tyson's mandatory.

Quit trying to contradict me for the sake of it, you will look stupid.