Lennox Lewis H2H GOAT stew~

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by WAR01, Sep 28, 2020.

1. WAR01

WAR01 In the 7.2% Full Member

Aug 19, 2019
    Lennox the H2H GOAT
    Let’s review!

Vitali Klitschko this is his piece of resistance, the best name on his record a prime fighter who would go on to become a dominant champion and he beat him on the way out!

If you want to consider winning the fight via cuts in a losing effort against someone who would go on to beat nobodies special...

He beat “Undefeated” Shannon Briggs in his prime!... After Foreman in a less then amazing performance he made it into a war against someone a nearly fifty year old Foreman tamed with only his jab.

His first big win in the pros Gary Mason, someone who lets just says best opponent was a 14-0 Lennox Lewis... this warriors record consisted of about ten men with more then ten losses... Not to mention over thirty of his wins didn’t even have over twenty wins... A good win for the 14-0 Lennox tho to be fair Gary Mason could whack!... Bums, like a hobo hit man.

Then there was a stretch of nobodies and has beens, once good competitors journeyman euro level guys all good herbs to add to the Lennox GOAT Stew... till Razor Ruddock... the guy who was almost erased from history when a past it Bonecrusher almost minced his meat... fortunately now he is remembered as the guy who played punching bag for Tyson with the cool smash punch he achieved a lot in his losses a lot like Ron Lyle, this wasn’t a bad win but as his future adventures would suggest after Tyson his chin was shattered after Lennox it was a short retirement followed by a tune up fight and a beating from aids ridden Tommy Morrison he was hardly legendary but against popular belief he is one of Lennoxs best wins... and a Tyson scalp like so many of his wins.

Tony Tucker!
    A good win, he wasn’t quite at his best but still a fair win 48-1 shame it was just another Tyson left over... He did just come off a win against a good version of the Atomic Bull so there’s a plus I suppose.

Frank the Tank Bruno
    A Tyson left over who was taking his lunch till he gassed... Frank Bruno... nearly beat Lennox pre prime yes but this version was the most gutsy aggressive wild version of him and he was almost taken out by BRUNO....

Old Holyfield x2... By 1999 Holyfield shouldn’t have been let near a set of boxing gloves and Lennox at his very best still lost rounds to him...? This version of Evander would go on to have a trilogy with John Ruiz and be KO’d by a blown up middleweight.

Mike Tyson’s corpse!
    He stated with this win he would earn the people’s respect, he sure did he tried earning it twice and even went as far as taking Mike to court because he wouldn’t fight him again what can be said about his win? It took him seven rounds to put away a man who stopped fighting after the second round and had lost to less then Lennox already?

Grant... Grant who?
    Flash in the pan nobody that’s who, anyone who calls this a great win is a great moron it’s not any better then Tyson’s corpse who I’d favour over Grant he was a fight away from being exposed nothing more no heir apparent at all.

Rahman, good win he shutdown a powerful puncher it took guts getting into the ring with someone who poleaxed him I’ll pay my respect where it’s due it took guts and he did it in a brutal fashion.

David Tua, out of shape, dumb haircut,only threw the left hook that summarises the version of David Lennox fought and Lennox played safety first all night to not let another Oliver/Rahman scenario play out a decent win to be fair, but David isn’t anything special he’s a caveman with no science to his violence but what he lacks in skills he makes up for in a demonic left hook and a jaw of steel.

Tommy Morrison...
    I’m not touching on this win other then it was depressing to watch him brutalise someone with nothing left.

Ray Mercer!
    Mercer who was Inactive in this fight and In his prime tamed by old fat Larry came in fat himself and nearly turned a number on a prime Lennox Lewis a fair win on Lennoxs part I don’t see a robbery but I do see someone struggle with a B+ tier fighter and still not convince everyone in the arena he won.

Andy Golota... just came off using Riddick Bowes nuts as a speed ball and would go on to do great things like quitting against Tyson in the first.

The Atomic bull win, yeah Oliver stood there hands down eating punches till the reffy stopped it out of mercy for the deranged drug addict who had been crying in the locker room and was looking for a way out back into rehab bravo.

I think I covered the best of Lennox! take a spoonful of GOAT soup and carry on with your day friends.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  2. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Out of curiosity who is your top five HWs? Lennox w out a doubt is a top five individual imo. For some reason there are those in this forum who seek perfection from guys that doesn’t exist in anyone.

3. dmt

dmt Hardest hitting hw ever Full Member

Jul 2, 2006
    I think Lewis was a great fighter. I have him #6 on my all time list. He was big, quite mobile for a big guy, had a strong jab, good left hook, and an outstanding right hand. His chin was solid. Yes, he is susceptible to a one punch ko but IMO he has a solid chin.

Holyfield was completely past his prime when they fought. Holyfield was only a year away from struggling vs John Ruiz. The early 90's version of Holyfield would not lose more than 1 round to a pathetic fighter like Ruiz. Even Manny Steward, Lewis's trainer, admitted Holyfield was past his prime by that stage. Lewis as a late bloomer with less wear and tear was in his prime. Holyfield was a shell of his former self and was only able to fight in spurts. Holyfield was very competitive in their second fight which leads me to believe that he would have beaten Lewis in his prime.

Tyson was shot. The argument that Lewis was a year older is a dishonest argument. Lewis was a late bloomer who was coming off a career best performance in the Rahman rematch. Tyson was an early bloomer who was 15-20 lbs heavier than his best fighting weight. Tyson was also a speed reliant fighter, and speed is one of the first things a fighter loses. Tyson was shot, period, and yet Lewis was clinching excessively in the first round. He initially seemed afraid of that version of Tyson which leads me to believe that he couldn't have done very much vs the prime version of Tyson.

Wins over Ruddock, Tua, Bruno, Rahman 2 and Mercer and Vitali especially are impressive. Yes, he should have rematched Mercer. Can't fault him for not rematching Vitali.

While the likes of Ruddock, Tua, Bruno, Rahman and Mercer were not "great", they were certainly "very good" and i do think we should credit Lewis with these wins.

Lets be honest, the best fighters Lewis beat are probably better than the best fighters that a number of other top 10 heavyweights beat. I would take Lewis's resume over Liston, Holmes, Marciano, Dempsey, and Wlad. (for the record, i do rank Holmes and Liston above Lewis because they were better fighters overall)

So yes, Lewis has beat very good (though not great) competition. He had the power to ko most heavyweights. His size and power would make him a threat to most heavyweights.

However, he does get highly overrated by some of his fans. His level of competition was nowhere near as good as Ali's. Not even close.

Lewis also struggled more vs smaller skilled heavies who were past their best (Mercer, Holyfield) than he did against bigger ones (Golota, Grant) which demonstrates the argument that Lewis would outbox the likes of Ali and Holmes due to his size to be a flawed argument. If Lewis can barely get past a fat Ray Mercer or a 37 year old Holyfield who is fighting in spurts, he isn't outboxing masterful boxers like Ali or Holmes.

Overall, a great fighter, but quite overrated by his fans, and Lewis's size advantage isn't an advantage at all vs smaller skilled heavies, as the Mercer and Holyfield fights aptly demonstrate.

4. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Its correct that he might have been a bit overrated by just looking at the names.
    Nevertheless he could be very sharp by stopping Biggs, Ruddock, Golota, Grant and Botha. early.

You don´t know how much a young Golota had left at the moment, as he rumbled 16 rounds with Bowe. That Golota lost to Grant for a record of 31-0 to get incinerated by Lewis again! If this Lewis statements were today, the BF24 General would go crazy about him.
    I think you underrate his wins over Golota, Grant and missed Ruddock as well as Biggs (who was a still solid Tyson leftover).
    Its true that Tua ****ed up his biggest boxing career chance to come in as heavy as a 6'5" behemoth.

5. WAR01

Aug 19, 2019
    I didn’t miss Ruddock and Biggs I genuinely forgot pardon.

6. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I think you could just about find something negative about anyone’s wins and milk it like a mother ****er

7. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    lol.

Anyway, with respect to the original poster and topic: I have Lewis as a top 6 ATG (after Ali, Louis, Holmes, Holyfield, and Foreman). He beat every man he went up against and actually improved in many great ways as a pro.

To me the only real disappointment when it comes to LL is the abovementioned fact that he couldn't score a truly consummate victory over Holy.

WAR01 likes this.
  8. WAR01

Aug 19, 2019
    No I found something negative about all of his best wins that’s the problem.

crixus85 likes this.
  9. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Like I had previously stated, you can analyze and criticize like this with anyone’s resume.

Another troll thread
    :hang

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    George Crowcroft and JohnThomas1 like this.
  10. Gudetama

Gudetama Active Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2017
    I completely understand why people see Lewis as a head to head beast. Look at him! Big, skilled, powerful.
    As for me, I think Liston and Foreman absolutely smash him to bits. Ali and Holmes do the job. Possibly a few others... I 'm not so sure... but we are talking top tier guys. He's great, h2h, surely.