Lennox Lewis in Today's Heavyweight Division

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Jamzy ⭐

Jamzy ⭐ Active Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2018
    I think that's partly because he was training for Kirk Johnson which was going to be a tuneup (for Lewis) at the time, but then Johnson pulled out so Vitali stepped in on short notice.

2. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Lewis was fat in that fight compared to how AJ and Wilder are built now.

3. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I think those guys are the exceptions though.

mark ant likes this.
  4. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    That played a part. Another problem for Lewis is that he was directly involved in the promotional side and, in my opinion not entirely focused on the bout itself, anyway.

The eventual Lewis/Vitali match-up resulted from what was more or less an ultimatum from HBO, for the 21st of June date. It was that or cancel and wait until November that same year.

5. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Tony Tucker wasn't old.He wasn't a prime fighter but the "old" is an overstatement..
    Lewis had only one bad fight before the Steward era but with Steward he had 3 poor performances at least (Mercer,Rahman I.,Vitali).
    True Bruno could outbox Lennox but Lewis destroyed him by an impressive way.

6. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    No, I don't think Bowe has much of a shot with Joshua or Wilder. He is just too easy to hit and has been hurt by lesser punchers. He won't be able to soak up punches from them they way he did Holyfield.

Frankly picking a guy who was thrashed twice by Andrew Golota of all people to beat everyone today is pretty silly especially given how he avoided virtually all the top fighters of his era bar Holyfield including guys like Lewis who could have capitalized on his defensive shortcomings.

7. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Lewis vs the top 5 right now:

1. Anthony Joshua : Lewis has a LOT of problems here. The 6'6 counter puncher would nullify Lewis strengths. It would be the FIRST time Lewis would be up against a fast inside fighter who outsized him. People can cry all they like the fact is Joshua is that good and not only is he all around better he adapts on the fly just like Lewis did. Its the most complex match up if he was around. Edge goes to AJ.

2. Tyson Fury: I like this match but I don't think fury would keep Lewis at bay and if wilder is landing shots ,lewis will but wont fall over himself : Edge Lewis

3. Deontay Wilder: Lewis knocks him silly , no need to even go here. terrible fight for Wilder.

4. Luis Ortiz : this would be very difficult style wise for Lewis . Ortiz is a big southpaw, Lewis never fought them so? Lewis would probably do one of his coasting / play safe fights and drags out a UD. Ortiz may not be 4 right now? He's on a fight to fight basis since he's 49 so ???

5. Alexander Povetkin : Another tough fight but Povetkin loses a rugged fight . I dont think Lewis takes chances here and he drags this out as well to a UD. Lewis wasn't a killer in there like AJ, He would coast if he was winning comfortably. That's the difference .

Lewis was tough he's a top 5 head to head a great mix of skill and power ,he would adapt and had Manny Steward. The 6'5 240/ 250 pounder was all around near perfectly balanced . Counterpunchers stand the best chance who can press him. A top jabber as well with ring IQ though needed extra push sometimes from Steward bc he got lazy a frequently which is his main weakness and one that could be exploited against a equal talent ,though the few there is and were.

Wlad Klitschko would have been a problem too if he took Lewis jab away. The Wlad who moved around and used lead rightsa and feints poses difficulties .That's a toss up with Lewis slight edge . If Wlad does come back hes easily at number 3 off the bat.

@Pat M

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Miller has trouble throwing back when punches are thrown at him, and waits until his opponent stops. But if were talking real he's probably the best 300 pound / plus guy weve had in the sport. Also has a top 3 punch rate. Certain guys are simply not going to last 12 with him.

He wont beat Lewis but hes a legit threat as is Joyce a much bigger threat then Miller .Joyce has legit power and the best punch rate at 270. These guys are not so easy as you guys are claiming. They would be threats in any era.

Pat M likes this.
  9. Rock0052

Rock0052 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Wilder's right hand is a harder punch than Rahman's.

10. Rock0052

Apr 30, 2006
    Sweet. Another fantasy thread where the general assumption is that we get the peak, prime, absolute best version of a retired fighter to show up every night vs the rest of the division. Because that totally happens in the real world.

Jamzy ⭐ likes this.
  11. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Just he never proved.

12. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Joyce's power is overated, he has a good engine but hasnt been hit, yet neither has he beaten anyone, He isn't hard to catch,and gets caught square at times Lewis would ko him quick similar to Grant.
    Miller lacks top end power, Lewis would bust him up with his jab, and stop him with uppercuts.
    Miller wants a title shot without facing anyone remotely dangerous , he's another fraud like Wilder.

13. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    It’s more realistic than an assumption that the retired fighter comes in underprepared and offers his chin up for a Hail Mary shot, every time out. Any reference to Lewis Rahman (I), does just that.

14. Rock0052

Apr 30, 2006
    It's only fair to take it all into context. Getting one shotted twice in 44 fights isn't some cardinal sin, but that also means it's silly to pretend it couldnt happen in today's era.

Lennox gets full credit from me for fighting a consistently high level of competition for the majority of his career. I also saw it, so some of the rose colored revisionism doesn't work quite as well. An old Holyfield fought him very close in the rematch and he was fortunate the Mercer fight (which I had a draw) wasn't a loss given how dicey scoring is for road fighters here.

That doesn't undermine his greatness- it just reinforces he's human and not a myth. He's an ATG, full stop. But nobody's unbeatable and its not like it was only possible to have success against him via fluke.

He could go 5-0 vs the top 5 today, but he could also lose some. Theres more stylistic diversity there than Lennox faced in his entire career.

Holler likes this.
  15. Cojimar 1946

Cojimar 1946 Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Calling Wilder a fraud seems a bit excessive. He has already arguably accomplished more in his career than Hasim Rahman and Oliver McCall. If he's a fraud what does that make Lewis for losing to inferior fighters?