Lennox Lewis tempted to return to the ring.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Nov 23, 2008.


  1. Mendoza

    Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

    55,255
    10,344
    Jun 29, 2007
    LONDON - Retired heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis said on Sunday he would be tempted to return to the ring only if he was offered $US100 million ($A164 million) for a rematch with former foe Vitali Klitschko.

    Klitschko, 37, came out of retirement last month to be crowned world champion for the third time when he beat Nigeria's Samuel Peter to win the WBC crown and last week called for a re-match of his 2003 fight with Lewis.

    The Briton has not fought since retaining his WBC title against Klitschko in 2003, but he told the Mail on Sunday he would need to see an offer near 100 million dollars to entice him back into the ring.

    The 43-year-old, who once held the WBO, IBF and IBO belts, admits he has been tempted to return after watching Klitschko beat Peter and is back in training, but the money would need to be big.

    "I don't have to do this, I don't need the money and my legacy speaks for itself. "But boxing needs me - the heavyweight game is so boring now.

    "All the characters are gone. I would like to save my sport.
    "The fights have been so dull and one-sided."I couldn't believe what I was watching," added Lewis after seeing the Klitschko-Peter fight from Berlin last month.

    "Boxers usually come back or continue fighting for two reasons," he said. "Either the atmosphere of the crowd or the money.

    "I don't need either, I'm happy as I am. But I think the sport needs me and I love my sport. And I don't like seeing it the way it is."
    Lewis currently weighs around 127kgs and says he would need six months to drop to his fighting weight of 116kgs.

    So far the former champ has only received offers of $US40 million ($A65 million) to return to the ring.

    "It would have to be nearer 100 million to make me say yes, but there are people out there who can get that kind of money together," he said. "There are a lot of people who would pay to see me fight again. It would be exciting, for the sport and for me.

    "And if I come back, it will be to win, not play."

    Lewis quit in June 2003 after he won a technical knock-out victory over Klitschko when the referee had to intervene in the sixth round with the Ukrainian suffering a badly cut eye.

    Klitschko, along with brother Wladimir who holds the IBF, WBO and IBO belts, has said he wants the siblings from Kiev to hold all the world titles.

    [url]http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/sport/lennox-lewis-hints-at-return/2008/11/24/1227375099259.html[/url]
     
  2. McGrain

    McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

    112,819
    47,709
    Mar 21, 2007
    He said on Sky TV last night that he would only come back if Vitali fought Wlad!
     
  3. Mendoza

    Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

    55,255
    10,344
    Jun 29, 2007

    Two things to consider here.

    1 ) Lewis is not truly " retired " . If he was he would quickly put an end to this type of talk in the press.

    2 ) Lewis was offered $40,000,000.00!!! An amazing sum of money. If this offer is legit, I beleive Lewis use it for leverage to get a better one, or take the 40M, and give Vitlai the rematch he said he would.
     
  4. JohnThomas1

    JohnThomas1 VIP Member

    52,648
    44,067
    Apr 27, 2005
    A win over Lewis by anyone now wouldn't count for anything anyway, since he was past it when he retired years ago as evidenced by his woeful form vs Vitali.

    I for one would consider him silly if he came back now. Leave the fighting for those who can still do it well, like Wlad and Vitali.
     
  5. McGrain

    McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

    112,819
    47,709
    Mar 21, 2007
    I think this is as close to the bone as you're going to get.

    Basically, a fight with Vitali is probably not winnable for Lennox, so why fight it?
     
  6. McGrain

    McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

    112,819
    47,709
    Mar 21, 2007
    ****in hell John, that's a fine avatar.
     
  7. Mendoza

    Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

    55,255
    10,344
    Jun 29, 2007
    John,

    How do you know Lewis was past it? I seen him perform a lot worse when he meet Vitlai in 2003.
     
  8. JohnThomas1

    JohnThomas1 VIP Member

    52,648
    44,067
    Apr 27, 2005
    Exactly mate. The odds of Lewis beating Vitali now are huge. Vitali showed he still has it, and then some. Lewis hasn't kept in shape at all and by comparison showed it had slipped away more than 5 years ago, tho his awesome power still bailed him out of trouble and kept him a winner at that time. Lewis is a year older than Tyson even and Vitali is 6 years younger too.

    Money does strange things to people tho, maybe he will be silly enough to come back.

    The shame for Vitali is it will be a lose lose situation excepting the big dollars. If he wins it will rightfully be claimed Lewis was a shell of his former self, and if he loses well.................:oops:
     
  9. JohnThomas1

    JohnThomas1 VIP Member

    52,648
    44,067
    Apr 27, 2005
    Lets cut to the chase.

    If they fight and Vitali wins you will be proclaiming Vitali beat a fine version of Lewis?? I've noticed the Lewis win over Vitali has nagged deeply you many times.

    But really, Lewis hasn't fought for 5 years, was terribly sloppy vs Vitali then, hasn't kept in shape and is now 43 years old.

    Will you have us believe this is a noteworthy or even good version of Lewis?
     
  10. JohnThomas1

    JohnThomas1 VIP Member

    52,648
    44,067
    Apr 27, 2005
    Cheers mate, your's is rather unique too.
     
  11. Robbi

    Robbi Marvelous Full Member

    15,217
    169
    Jul 23, 2004
    Lennox isn't coming back folks. He replied to me on his Myspace and told me the script.

    He's playing with the press. Saying he wants $100 million and knows he won't get it. These rumours have come around once every year since his retirement.
     
  12. Mendoza

    Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

    55,255
    10,344
    Jun 29, 2007
    There is no shame for Lewis, unless he enters the ring out of shape, and gets whacked out in a round.

    If Lewis could win, his legacy is top 3 at heavyweight.

    If Vitlai wins, he claims the lineal title, no bones about it. I tend to believe Lewis focused is still a top 5 heavyweight today.

    Boxing needs this fight. And when I say boxing, I do not men historians or serious fans, I mean the health of the sport needs a headline fight badly. Can you imagine a segment on Lewis vs Vitlai 24 x 7?
     
  13. Mendoza

    Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

    55,255
    10,344
    Jun 29, 2007
    When the money is up, we will see what Lennox's plans are.

    If your retired, then don't talk smack, or take press from the active fighters.
     
  14. Robbi

    Robbi Marvelous Full Member

    15,217
    169
    Jul 23, 2004
    And he knows that ain't going to happen.
     
  15. McGrain

    McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

    112,819
    47,709
    Mar 21, 2007

    Man, be fun though.