Lennox Lewis: The Untold Story

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by MaxwellOnTheRoad, Nov 10, 2020.

1. MaxwellOnTheRoad

MaxwellOnTheRoad New Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2020
    Did any of you manage to catch the new (last month) documentary on Lennox Lewis? I thought it was awesome. Getting to know the man closer like that makes you appreciate how good of a champ he was. He's definitely one of the best HW boxers of all time.

If you haven't watched it do check it out! I recommend it. I'll share a trailer here as well.

DJN16, Shakermaker and Glenn McKrory like this.
  2. Safin

Safin Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I've not seen it. I might watch it at some point, but it will probably be a lot of the same old. Was there much original in there?

I couldn't stand Lennox Lewis, as a personality, during his career. Insufferably arrogant and smug. However, I think he's one of the better ex-boxers to listen to these days. He's not full of adolescent nonsense like Tony Bellew and the like. He has some insight worth listening to.

3. MaxwellOnTheRoad

Mar 18, 2020
    I wouldn't know for sure since I haven't watched that many boxing documentaries or Boxing specials but they seemed to show a fair bit of behind-the-scenes footage of Lewis preparing for the fights with his people which I hadn't seen before. Plus, almost all of the footage was in crystal clear quality unlike most of the fights on Youtube. That's a plus in my book.

DJN16, Glenn McKrory and Safin like this.
  4. koartist2012

koartist2012 Member Full Member

May 24, 2012
    been a lennox fan since a young boy , this is the best doc ive ever seen on him , loads of original footage even before the mccall fight his joke of a trainer etc , kelly maloney etc , harold the shadow knight features prominently , dr dre narrating gives it the big budget feel , and the scene at end with tyson and lewis wife was inspiring ! showbox and cinema for all u firestick freebie hunters lol

5. impacted

impacted Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 6, 2011
    The portrayal of the Tyson fight as an achievement for the ages sticks in the throat. As far as wins over mentally ill, medicated fighters more than a decade removed from their primes go it was pretty impressive I suppose.

6. MaxwellOnTheRoad

Mar 18, 2020
    I do agree that the "epic" portrayal of his victory over Tyson was overhyped in the doc. I suppose they needed it as a good way to bookend the story, not to mention the fact that even beating the shadow of what once was "Iron Mike" is still seen as a big deal by many.

I think it would've been better to portray his war against Vitali as an excellent end to an amazing career. But oh well, it's not that big of a deal. I still enjoyed the doc tremendously.

Boxingfan2, Twentyman and Gatekeeper like this.
  7. koartist2012

koartist2012 Member Full Member

May 24, 2012
    the tyson fight was overplayed, but it was the backstory of years earlier saying it doesnt matter if u got the belts until someone beats tyson , tyson publically was still perceived to be the man , lewis had been koed by mcall it wasnt until holy beat tyson and lennox beat him he got a bit of credit but then after rahman koed lewis a year before the tyson fight it was enough to change the narrative back . The reason the rahman rematch took so long to make was tyson had lined up the rahman fight and they offered more than the lewis rematch and ended up in court to force rematch, in hindsight tyson was finished but that wasnt how it was thought at the time it was biggest fight of that era £££.The part i was referring to was how lennox was built by people who loved him and was raised to handle setbacks , as highlighted very well and tyson was a gravy train with yes men around and had no idea how to handle adversity, the end with tyson lewis and his wife talking about when they both got beat at 84 olympics and they were walking around la broke thinking they were schmucks and taking off lennox dance moves was hillarious , esepf as lewis still looks paranoid that tyson might say something crazy

8. crixus85

crixus85 Active Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Lewis was on Good Morning Britain this morning promoting it. Interviewed by Piers Morgan.