Lennox Lewis vs Jack Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by SuzieQ49, Jun 10, 2015.

1. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Slight over simplification

Right let's ignore the mass military campaign and the invasion plans because you think Hitler was a nice guy. You really are a conspiracy theorist with no care for historic accuracy and if you really want to believe a vast number of battleships and subs couldn't easily blow a transporter out of the water then you can remain clueless.

2. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Well, this is a message board. I don't have time to write a doctoral thesis.

If you want more info, I highly suggest Christopher Clark's Sleepwalkers, the best book on the Great War in some decades. He certainly lays more blame than usual on the Empire.

3. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Considering that Germany was only unified in 1871, they didn't have time to build up much of a track record in the colonial department. The Brits had been at it at for centuries.

4. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_German_plans_for_the_invasion_of_the_United_States

5. Foxy 01

Foxy 01 Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 23, 2012

6. PowerPuncher

Jul 22, 2004
    Britain and Germany did have a naval race, that Britain was way ahead of before the way, but it did cause Britain to ally with France due to the threat of Germany. You could blame Britain/France/Russia for it escalating to a world war instead of a regional war between Austria Hungry and Serbia. But all 3 thought The German Austrian alliance was dangerous for. And GErmany declared war on Russia first.

Britain and France also didn't really open the wealth of their empires to Germany for trading too much either. Germany and France started to have hostilities because of this. So you could argue they are factors.

But it was a war building for decades, first with the unification of Germany, which became the European economic powerhouse. Germany because of this felt she should have greater power, world trade and colonies to reflect this.

Then the fact modern weaponry was changing, with all the major powers starting in an arms race factor into it too.

7. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    The estimate in a new book on Ghenghis Khan ,"Ghenghis Khan The Man Who Conquered The World", byFrank Mc LYNN is 37.5million dead.

8. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    And we were very good at it.:good

9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/...s-detailed-plans-for-invasion-of-Britain.html

http://www.historylearningsite.co.u...-war-two-in-western-europe/operation-sealion/

http://www.historylearningsite.co.u...-war-two-in-western-europe/operation-sealion/

10. TheMikeLake

TheMikeLake Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I was wondering where the lounge had gone.

11. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    8% of humans from China to Mongolia to the Ferghana Valley and beyond to Turkmenistan are direct descendents of Genghis Khan. If killing and ****ing are the true measure of a man there was no greater.

12. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    Ffs what the hell are you waffling about? Germany was so skint people were walking down the road with wheelbarrows full of Deutschmark's to buy a loaf of bread. How do you think Hitler came to power in the first place?

Try harping on about Germany's rate of inflation, and convincing people it was Jewish folks that were responsible, when they weren't.

13. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    Again using Paul Theroux as a source. They reckon psycho Putin was directly responsible for 800,000 deaths, and a few million " transportation's " when he was head of the KGB.

If you compare the modern era with the 50's say, that would probably be good for 50 mill. You would only need to look at his eyes to see he makes Charles Manson look like a choirboy. The geezer is totally insane.

14. Foxy 01

Apr 23, 2012
    I would never discount the existence of such evidence, I would however completely discount the validity of it.

I am probably not as well up on the rules of these things as yourself, but I seem to recall the freedom of information act being given some disproportionate extension with regards to disclosing WW2 documents.

If what I am arguing comes across as anti Britain, that is not my intention at all. I am simply trying to point out truth and history are by no means one and the same.

15. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    We need to drink