Lennox Lewis vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by heizenberg, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Not every one is of that opinion. Be a boring world if we all thought same pal

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    No Louis won both those fights in the official decision, and since the entire fights are not available for you to score, you can’t even say that you think the decisions were wrong.
    Getting dropped by small heavyweights, is less damaging to a fighters record and perceived durability, than being knocked out cold with a single punch by big heavyweights.

Nobody who knows anything about boxing history thinks that Schmeling threw the second fight.
    If you think that Louis had poor defence, then you don’t fully understand boxing defence.
    Primo Carnera did it as well as anybody around today.
    Do you not see the problem here?

You are attacking Louis based on fights that he won.

The case against Lewis rests on fights that he lost.

See the difference?

A win is a win at the end of the day.

3. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    If u take a side all Joe's fight s he lost and fights where he was knocked down then do the same for lennox s losing fight s, then just put them head to head in the ring right now, today, what would u think.? Who would u back? Just forgot there loss 's. Sweet and simple would u back Joe or lennox?. That's how I look at fights.

4. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    That is also how I look at fights, and I consider Lennox's losses to be more damaging than Louis's.

More damaging in terms of the calibre of fighters who beat him, the manner in which he lost, and the time in his career where the losses took place.

5. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    I get that, what your saying but your going by the fighters loss 's and knockdown s. But if u didn't know their history, who would u pick to win then,?. Joe Louis in the ring face to face with lennox..today right now?. Would u be thinking Joe Louis is going to destroy Lewis?

ascended and moneytheman12 like this.
  6. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    I would be thinking that it could go either way, but if you put a gun to my head, I would pick Louis.

Pedro_El_Chef and BCS8 like this.
  7. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I agree it would be very close, but I'd pick Lewis ... if I had a gun to my head.

But we do agree that it certainly wouldn't be "impossible" for Louis to beat Lewis.

8. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I saw enough rnd of the Godoy fight to the point i only had Louis winning 3 rnds or so and did so by muting the commentary to see the ACTUAL punches being landed try again ( not sure if its true anyway as i recall watching 15 rnds). Even if you think i didnt,he clearly lost and lost BIG.

Carnera had inferior skills for a big man and didnt even hit particularly hard with a 50% k.o percentage or so,that shows you really dont know what you are talking about, but i guess getting many fixxed fights is also how you judge todays SHW's since that was a big part of Carneras gimmick?

Im showing fights he struggled in ( and lost) If Lennox lewis struggled witha 175 pound conn ,you guys would have a field day however since its on the other foot you live in a bubble or at least pretend to. A win is not a win ( particulaly if the guy actually lost to when comparing fighters you look at like or similar opponets along with variety of styles,i dont beleive you figured that out yet.

Lewis has not fought any guy under 210 pounds with such a target like louis would give him,this is frightenly scary that anyone still beleive louis to be favored here b/c it shows why boxing fans are like stuck in middle ages compared to MMA fans who can see progress far better or tell if fighter A can defeat B, not so much here..

Louis defense wasnt good at all ( worked in his day until JJ told someone to throw a simple overhand counter right )really low guard with the left hand and right hand planted at mid level open to just about any over hand right and easily jabbed which is why Conn should have won had he actually been smart. Funny thing is i tell ppl who think thats a good style ,then go to your local gym and get in the ring and fight like that ( you quickly hear crickets )

So Louis never lost? and is not accepted in configuration in the debate ,only that LEWIS LOST??? lmao

Good luck with that gun to your head if you actually think Louis giving up 3 inches in height and 8 inches reach with roughly 50 pounds of weight would defeat Lewis and bet your life on it!!!!! Hopefully all orders are in place had you done that.:detenido:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    ascended and moneytheman12 like this.
  9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    There is not enough of the firts Godoy figth to produce a meaningfull scorecard.

We just have highlights.

Therfore you do not have an opinion on whether the decision was valid or not.

The vast majority of the press agreed with the oficial decision, so it is unlikley to have been way out.
    In the second Sharkey fight, Carnera controlled distance as well as any superheavyweight since then.

He had significant weaknesses as a fighter, but poor technique was not one of them.

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  10. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Louis had very good defence, and it was also sometimes very subtle, which is why it is probably lost on you.

I suggest the you go and look at some of the various breakdowns of his defence.

Then again why bother if you have already decided what you want to believe?

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  11. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006

Fergy likes this.
  12. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    you are wrong...obviousl;y that bubble you live in must be air tight.

The vast majority of the press would have always favored Louis in that fight.

Sharky admitted to throwing that fight ,end of!

I didnt mention technique and his defense had major holes in them ( certainly would get his clock cleaned today using it unless he was RJJ which he wasnt),which why he struggled along with his footwork when fighters moved around.This is seen on footage so its proven.

ascended likes this.
  13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    There are some total idiots here J , you can deal with them I can't be bothered to reply to tw*ts.

14. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    It's pretty hard to argue with those facts, but was Galento drinking before the fight?

A few threads down there is Louis vs Bob Pastor. The video is there to judge. Louis has very low left hand ( open to rights ) poor, / slow footwork, was and rather north and south in movement, needed his feet set to throw punches ( More so than most ), and a stick your chin/face forward style

No wonder Schmeling saw something, and so would Lennox. The difference is Lennox has the luxury of range and hits even harder.

I'd pick Lewis but would give Joe Louis a puncher's chance.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    BCS8 likes this.
  15. ForemanJab

ForemanJab Deus Vult Full Member

May 8, 2014
    As an opponent LL brings a combination of size, athleticism and skills that Louis never faced but Holyfield showed the elite smaller man can compete with Lewis. Joe would have to up the ante and force LL to work at a pace he isn't comfortable at.

BCS8 likes this.