Lennox Lewis vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by heizenberg, Jan 13, 2017.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I really don't understand how you cannot grasp that, when Louis fought Pastor the first time it was under the auspices of Jimmy Johnston ,the promoter at MSG and the manager of Pastor.Louis had nothing to do with picking of the referee, Johnston was the man who called the shots. The Farr fight was at Yankee Stadium ,I've told you this about 5 times this week! You're really ridiculous do you know that? Louis is just one of the fighters on your hate list ,you knock him at every opportunity ,I only reply to expose your blatant bias,your opinion is totally irrelevant to me.

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  2. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Nothing conclusive to render a verdict, its still open and always will be.

3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes, but not by a very big margin.

4. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    agreed

5. KuRuPT

KuRuPT Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 26, 2011
    agree here as well, nothing will ever be conclusive on this subject lol

6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Lewis for me. His size allied to his ability and style would place him well. Louis never beat anyone remotely approaching the greatness of Lewis. Louis can certainly not be written off and is a chance himself. I would not die of surprise if Lewis struck early. Louis could be caught and hurt early and Lewis possibly has the skillset to finish if such a scenario unfolded.

7. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Well said.

8. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    It's a bit more than that though.

Almost nobody on the forum believes that Whitaker lost to Jose Ramirez. Almost nobody - anyone that is is treated as a statistical anomaly and ignored.

The argument about what ringsiders saw in Louis-Walcott is really about an extension of what we would see. Presuming that the split of the ringside polls (there were two) would be a reasonable representation of what is captured on film (a big assumption in itself) we would expect that posters would be split along these lines.

You and I and Kurupt, if we saw the film, Kurupt and I would see it for Walcott, maybe you would see it for Louis. The point is, that is a discussion. That is the kind of discussion that is had about Ward-Kovalev. If there was film, there would be arguments about the validity of that decision, for sure, but most people would probably fall into the "I had it to Walcott very close so I don't think the decision is that bad." Every card i've seen bar two (one apiece) are extremely close. I think if we could see the film there would be a clear argument for Louis to get the decision, and he did get the decision so people arguing for robbery - that is, for "changing" the decision in preference of the beaten fighter in terms of our perception - would be very limited.

Compare that to ringside scoring for Pacquiao-Bradley or Ramirez-Whitaker. This is the difference I always see with this discussion under the spotlight.

Pedro_El_Chef and Bukkake like this.
  9. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    How about people arguing that the officials were corrupt and in Louis' managements pocket?
    Got any comment to make there?

10. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Not really. There just isn't much proof of it. I think that like any great superstar there was likely a tendency to favour him on the cards, but if it manifested itself it was only once and it was in Louis-Walcott I.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    In which Donovan the much maligned referee [by one poster, ]was not the third man!

12. dawnofthedead

dawnofthedead Member Full Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Louis by KO inside 8 rounds. Lennox keeps him at bay but runs out of steam and into Louis' combinations around the midway mark, he's simply too big for Louis not to miss and he gets nailed. I think Lennox would have been competitive early on and may even drop Joe but he'd get up and that's the difference. Louis KO 8 Lewis.

Pedro_El_Chef and Jackomano like this.
  13. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This.

14. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Lewis by KO

ascended likes this.
  15. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Lewis would look good the first four rounds (I'm talking about the latter era LL, when he gained an actual jab). But Louis would have caught him with something at least as hard as McCall threw. Louis might conceivably get knocked down, Lewis would be devastated.