Lennox Lewis vs Oleksandr Usyk

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Dance84, May 18, 2021.

Who wins

1. Lewis Knockout

70.5%
  2. Lewis Decision

20.5%
  3. Usyk Decision

9.1%
  4. Usyk Knockout

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I do not consider Joshua to be operating on the same level as Lewis was, but he was close enough to narrow the issues here.

He hits as hard as Lewis did, he can reach a shelf as high as Lewis can, and if he leans on you, it probably feels a lot like Lewis leaning on you.

He also uses a lot of the same tactics that Lewis did.

After this fight, we will have a good idea how well Usky would cope with Lewis stylistically.

Entaowed likes this.
  2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    If Lewis was the size of Usky, how do you see him doing in todays cruiserweight division?

3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If Usyk pitches a shut out and takes the absolute **** out of AJ, he stands a much better chance vs Lewis.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  4. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Better at Mercer at some things not everything, 37 year old Chisora gave Usyk serious issues until he gassed. Chisora isn't as good as peak Ray Mercer. So theres that.

5. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I disagree.
    In terms of level, Joshua and Lewis are night and day.

This might be the case, but Joshua is not the fluid, natural puncher that Lewis was, in my opinion.

I've already mentioned that I think we will learn how Usyk deals with the size disparity. We've already seen how he deals with a much heavier guy, in Chisora.

Incidentally, I would suggest that, despite appearances, Lewis was the naturally bigger man of the two and the more athletic.

Andy Ruiz Jr overcame greater disadvantages in height and reach against Joshua, than Usyk will have to - which, I thought, told us more about Joshua than it did about Ruiz Jr. Moreover, I can't recall immediately thinking, after Ruiz Jr's win, that I had just seen a guy who'd have posed some kind of realistic threat to Lewis.

A lot? Such as? I couldn't say these types of similarities are jumping out at me.

Lewis and Joshua are not a stylistic match, for mine. So, how you intend to extrapolate an idea of how well Usyk might have done against Lewis from this bout, based on styles, I do not know. But I will look forward to reading your abstraction, nonetheless.

6. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    All of the above were legitimate Heavyweights who fought other Heavyweights......there resume were not two bottom feeder cream puffs named Chazz/Chisora.............and Usyk got even marked up from those two bums.

Lewis would keep him at the end of his jab with the occasional right behind as a reminder to Usyk that it is not worth a pay check getting knocked out and that will be that, a boring affair.

WK would go the same route except it would be even more ugly and the cure for insomnia.

BTW, prime Tyson and Bowe STOP Usyk, no doubt.

7. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I wonder what the odds will be on that kind of outcome, closer the time.

Usyk's performance against Joshua, will essentially be measured against him currently being unproven at Heavyweight. He will either remain so or, even in a losing effort, be given kudos for his effort and perhaps recognition as a genuine Heavyweight. It would be difficult not to acknowledge him as such, should he win.

Either way, I still don't think the outcome, including the scenario you suggest, would serve as much of an indicator for how a Lewis/Usyk match-up would go.

8. Omega74

Omega74 Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2021
    I dont think this poll would be 33-2 in favour of Lewis, after Usyk beat AJ. But I would still favor Lewis tbh

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  9. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    If Lewis was around today he'd age Usyk out till 36 /37 and wait till he was coming off fights with Whyte , Hrgovic or Joyce. Or even all 3

Once the sheen had been chipped off Usyk a bit Lewis would probably take the fight but he'd be wise enough to know that a fresh 34 y/o Usyk isn't to be trifled with.

If Eddie Hearn was any bit unscrupulous he'd try and do the same for AJ

cross_trainer likes this.
  10. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Lewis had a heavy right hand. He was much more skilled than Joshua also.