Lennox Lewis vs Tyson Fury.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Wass1985, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Mod-Mania

Mod-Mania Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Lewis is outboxed for some rounds but then scores the KO at around round 8-10, his performances vs Wilder were great but Wilder's a trick pony, Lewis wasn't.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  2. BrainyBoxer

BrainyBoxer Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Agreed.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Lewis edges Fury in power, hand-speed, footwork and timing, in my opinion. I'd say Lewis would have options on how to approach this fight.

A lot would depend also on how Fury decides to play it - Dr. Jeckyll or Mr. Hide.

If Fury aims to be elusive then Lewis might do what he normally did against opponents that were around his size or larger; look for them and make it a close-range war. He'd have to pin Fury down somehow.

If it became a battle for the center of the ring then Lewis excelled at finding and/or forcing openings; sometimes countering, off his opponents lazier shots. Lewis' power would be a factor here.

In any event, Lewis would not be looking to engage in a jabbing contest. I'm not sure that he was given to getting involved in them, as a matter of routine, anyway. I don't think he'd be content to stay on the end of Fury's jab and would look to position himself inside the strike zone, as often as he could.

It's an intriguing fight, which could be a maul or a tactical back and forth.

I do think that, ultimately, Lewis would be the more likely winner. This would essentially come about by him being the more aggressive, engaging more often and out-landing Fury, which would accumulate towards either a late stoppage or a Decision win.

BrainyBoxer likes this.
  4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Everytime Wilder poleaxed someone the threads were out in droves. Same with some Joshua wins. Plenty fell flat on their face when Joshua was walloped and plenty have fallen flat with Wilder. Some just leap from one to the other according to who wins. Many simply build up the victor to mythical proportions in an attempt to save face. It happened in earnest with Ruiz and it is happening with Fury tho he does have a lot more substance and did put on a sweet show.

5. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I've been down with Fury since he beat Wlad. He's a brilliant boxer, a lot better than I thought he would ever be at the beginning of his career, by far.
    What he did to Wilder doesn't add anything to that really except that he's back to form, stronger than ever, and he might prove how good he is to more people.

I think Wilder was never really rated at all until he beat Ortiz. We all know Wilder was a bit of a joke as a 'champion', but he was a dangerous puncher. People tend to overrate punchers.

6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Lewis by late ko, after losing nearly every round!

7. Lennono

Lennono New Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Lewis is probably the best ever,
    This content is protected

8. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Lewis KO rounds 7-10

Fury had the time of his life against Klitschko because Klitschko was too scared to pull the trigger due to Fury's feints, this allowed Fury to easily outbox Klitschko. Klitschko is usually the taller man with the longer reach but when Fury took that advantage away from him, Klitschko couldn't do a damn thing. A boring but easily a dominating performance in Fury's favor.

But people who compare Wladimir to Lewis could not be more wrong. Lewis was agressive against taller fighters and was a much better inside fighter than Wlad. He would take the fight to Fury and either break him down and stop him late or just outwork him.

Here's is an example. Lewis turned on seek and destroy mode against Henry Akinwande who was 6'7 and had an even longer reach than Fury
    This content is protected

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  9. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    certainly not

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Don't think Lewis can just rush Fury

It's going to be a close fight ... I'll give Lewis the edge since he was more proven

11. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Possibly a little later, but yeah. Lewis was a better finisher than Wilder. And his right hand wasn't phenomenally less in power. Sooner or later Fury would make a mistake, get knocked down, get back up and stopped.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  12. UltimateDestroyer

UltimateDestroyer Member Full Member

Nov 25, 2020