Lennox Lewis would beat prime Ali: prove me wrong

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, May 24, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You know what I mean

2. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Ali could make a difficult fight for Lewis but winning and being competitive is different.

Lewis would just coast to a UD win if Ali proved to much to K.O. Lewis could be drawn into a lack luster fight bc he was that type of fighter if you didn't press him.

You really have to hit and stun Lewis to defeat a prepared Lewis. The chances of Ali doing this is slim but not impossible but I wouldn't bet on it, ppl are forgetting as usual Ali relied on a lot of clinching and controlling against tough opponents, this is Lewis best area.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta and Pat M like this.
  3. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    I give Lewis a zero Chance prime for prime. Ali probably had the best chin of all the ATGs and we aren’t talking about slow Zaire Ali who got hit just as much as he gave. Prime Ali beats Lennox to the punch every time and could take his best. Ali by late rounds KO. Not to mention his power is underrated. Prime Lennox has a better chance at Zaire Ali

Joeywill likes this.
  4. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Just putting it out there now but is it possible that 1970s Ali had a better chin than prime 1960s Clay/Ali? Can someone become more durable and more resilient in their late 20s? Just can’t see 1970s Ali being put down and then looking out on his feet by just one shot from 185lb Cooper.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  5. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    No matter how good your chin is in the HW division it can be lights out if you get caught the wrong way (Holyfield Tooney comes to mind often). Think 60s Ali was more reckless because he could be. Old Ali saw all the punches coming but instead of dancing away prepared for the shots. Imo I wouldn’t think you could be more out of shape and have a better chin.

6. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Absolutely.
    I think it was Holmes who stated if you stop sparring for some time (stop getting tagged) and try to continue fighting, youre not going to take punches as well as before.
    Especially, who rarely had to take a good punch because of beeing prime Ali, had to take alot more punches after layoff. He might have very well had a different resistance for having a blackout than when he just did not take the same punches.

7. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    You have a vivid imagination. Lewis was never a rough or especially physical Fighter. Neither guy could fight inside. Despite your attempt to make Lennox out to be Jack Dempsey he was a chess player.
    Lewis would try to keep the fight on the outside and time Ali as he darts in and out side to side. Lewis might grab him to rest but that when he would discover what Foreman, Liston, Lyle learned. Ali was strong.

West of Hollywood likes this.
  8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    OK "that guy" prove to me that there is not a purple penguin somewhere!

9. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    This is ultimately true.

If these fights were ever made, I imagine that most of them would go more or less as we thing, but I am sure that there would be a few big shocks along the way.

10. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    This. People seem to think Ali was feather fisted when he wasn’t. Against guys that didn’t crowd him Ali could pack a good punch when he wanted to. In the Foreman fight Ali got some space and rocked Foreman with a right hand, so he could definitely hurt Lennox.

ETM likes this.
  11. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Ali had the quickest right hand lead in the history of the Heavyweight division. He landed it on everyone. Over the course of the fight it breaks them down.

JohnThomas1 and Jackomano like this.
  12. janitor

Feb 15, 2006
    Whatever you conclude about Ali's power, he was clearly a very effective finisher.

The fact that he retained a high KO%, despite consistently fighting a very high caliber of opposition, is a testament to this.

13. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Excuse me, what!?

This content is protected

This content is protected

There might be path for arguing on infighting skills (beside Grant getting battered inside), but "Lewis was never a rough or especially physical Fighter" ? :dunno

Reallymakesmethink likes this.
  14. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Prime Ali UD.Too quick and mobile.He might even stop him but the safe bet is a decision

15. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Yes pal ,not bad .Sorry for late reply Aston ,been working .
    Yep i can see Holy really giving Ali a fight where both men have to dig deep .Holy would take everything Muhammad threw at him and hit back .In a series of 3,i ve got it as Ali 2 - Holyfield 1 but all fight s so damn close .
    As for Lewis ,if Lennox is in killer mode then Ali s in for a painful night !

Aston Villa likes this.