Let's Be Realistic How Great Was Floyd?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by OP_TheJawBreaker, Oct 14, 2021.

1. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    The sole reason I made this thread is to determine where he ranks in p4p greatest, there's so many people who hates Floyd in YT than they're not worth dicussing with. Okay let's take a look on Floyd's record:

Best Wins:

- Knocked out undefeated Ricky Hatton
    - Schooled undefeated Canelo
    - Dominated undefeated Diego Correlas
    - Defeated Prime Zab Judah
    - Defeated Prime Emmanuel Augustus

Solid Wins:

- Dominated Juan Manuel Marquez
    - Defeated Miquel Cotto
    - Defeated Victor ortiz
    - Dominated Jose Luis Castillo (rematch)
    - Marcos Maidana 2x

Decent Wins:

He Dominated:
    - Arturo Gatti
    - Oscar De La Hoya
    - Shane Mosley
    All of them past their primes, but still not entirely washed up.
    - Robert Guerrero (solid pro)

Although he lost to Pacquiao and the first Jose Luis Castillo, it's not like he didn't put up against Pacquaio and beat Castillo in the rematch just how Louis and Ali manage to do.

With this kind of resume, He's definitely not a bum, he must get the credit he deserves. Now be realistic and where do you think he ranks amongst the greats?

2. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    So many people think of Floyd as he was the last eight or nine years, safety first, boring and dull and a jerk. That was not the Floyd of the first 12 to 14 years. That Floyd was a great defensive fighter with a vicious mean streak offensively and a jerk.

When he found a weakness in someone he would go after them with vigor while still being defensively responsible. As he got older he adjusted his style to make up for diminshing physical abilities. Most fighters don't have the skill or self-awareness to do that. As you noted in your post starter he beat many top fighters. I would not be suprised if, when we look back 30 years from now, he will have beaten close to ten Hall of Famers. That being said Emanuel Agustus isn't one of them and never really had a prime. He had only won 22 of 42 when he fought Mayweather so, while I really like Augustus, that win was not special. I don't think noting that fight helps his case.

I have Mayweather top 25 pound for pound all time.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Jel, shza, clinikill and 5 others like this.
  3. OP_TheJawBreaker

Jun 23, 2021
    Augustus helps his case. If all of his fights were not robberies, his record could have been 80% filled with wins. Augustus constantly beats contenders during his time and definitely defeated Micky Ward.

escudo likes this.
  4. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Rather a cherry picker imo.

5. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    The best of a generation.

6. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Hard to hit is hard to hit and by the end of his time had perfected the style.
    Hit harder than given credit for with single shots otherwise he would have been walked down.
    Liked to have the deck in his favor later in his career would be one criticism . Fighting Jmm at 147 for instance, but, beat guys like Cotto and Alvarez who were probably bigger guys.
    You pick apart anyone list of wins but Floyd beat contenders, champions, punchers, boxers and everything in between. His the greatest of this era I don't think you can argue it.

White Bomber likes this.
  7. Young Terror

Young Terror ★ Griselda ★ Full Member

May 9, 2012
    Stopped reading at best wins prime Emmanuel Augustus.

8. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Can anyone direct me to the thread where I can talk unrealistically about Floyd's legacy? I think I took a wrong turn somewhere.

Oddone likes this.
  9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Outside top 30 may be a fair assesment

Tonto62 and surfinghb like this.
  10. Webbiano

Webbiano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 6, 2011
    I’d put cotto, Genaro Hernandez and the Castillo rematch up with his best wins.
    He was pretty damn good, undoubtedly in the top 50 fighters of all time, I wouldn’t argue with top 25. Depending on how you feel about the strength in certain eras which of course is subjective, you could maybe have him a little higher.

HandsOfSt0ned likes this.
  11. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Yoooo you really think Pac beat him? I thought that **** was made up that some people believe that. Floyd schooled him for an easy wins.

He’s an easy top ten for me. No one was as good at hitting and not being hit certainly in the modern era.

White Bomber likes this.
  12. HandsOfSt0ned

HandsOfSt0ned New Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Agree with Floyd being a top 30-25 ATG at best, i think his resume is decent enough but he lacked more challenges during his comeback to climb more spots when you compare him with the top 20 guys. Still a great great career.

Skillwise he ranks high and is probably the best 130 ever

13. OP_TheJawBreaker

Jun 23, 2021
    I put him somewhere top 15-25

shza and White Bomber like this.
  14. HandsOfSt0ned

HandsOfSt0ned New Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Top ten is sooooo high for him, dont think is even close to that. As for modern era of hit and not get hit maybe you missed Pernell Whitaker unless you are talking only the 2000s

15. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Where did you come up with this crap that he lost to Pac ?!?

Fogger likes this.