Let's play a game

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by quintonjacksonfan, Nov 23, 2022.

1. quintonjacksonfan

quintonjacksonfan Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Name the best fighter someone beat and then pick the best fighter the defeated fighter beat. Make sure it's in their prime. For example the best fighter Holmes beat was Norton. The best fighter Norton beat was Ali. The best fighter Ali beat was Foreman. Only one pick per post and it's gotta stay in order

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    The Senator and Pugguy like this.
  2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    The best fighter Jimmy Ellis beat was Floyd Patterson.

3. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    The best fighter floyd patterson beat was archie moore (correct me if i'm wrong).

4. Fogger

Fogger Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    This is actually pretty tough. Moore went 0-5 against the three best guys he fought, (Charles, Marciano and Ali) After those three there is a bit of a logjam. With apologies to Holman Williams, I'm going to say that the best fighter Moore beat was Harold Johnson whom he defeated on four occasions.

5. Young Terror

Young Terror ★ Griselda ★ Full Member

May 9, 2012
    The best fighter Harold Johnson beat was Ezzard Charles.

Journeyman92, Fogger and Pugguy like this.
  6. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I don’t want to spoil the continuity - For Charles, best win Louis or Walcott? Then maybe back to Moore?

I’ll save my phone a friend and lock on to Louis (though Joe well past prime) but will delete if that doesn’t fit.

PS - Excellent thread idea!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Saintpat and Fogger like this.
  7. The Senator

The Senator Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Not the best Heavy that Louis beat by a long shot(and he was shot to pieces at the time Louis beat him), but I'll list John Henry Lewis for his LHW run as the best overall fighter that Louis beat.

If I picked Schmeling here, we'd just be going back and forth with the answers here...

Pugguy and Saintpat like this.
  8. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    I like this choice. And the above where it’s not necessarily the best version of the best fighter (like I would say Muhammad Ali is the best fighter Trevor Berbick beat, but he obviously wasn’t when Berbick beat him).

So I could go with Jim Braddock as the best fighter John Henry Lewis beat (and he beat him when JHL was 18 years old) but I’ll say Tiger Jack Fox … an impressive as hell third-round KO in a non-title bout after winning the championship.

One could certainly argue Maxie Rosenbloom for this spot too but I’ll stick with Tiger Jack.

The Senator likes this.
  9. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    So we’re at Tiger Jack Fox who I wasn’t greatly familiar with - that’s the beauty of other members highlighting such fighters, at least for me, I’ll look them up, check boxrec etc - edumucate myself.

I’m going back to a bigger name but I see a KO and decision over future world HW champ - not too shabby, so I’ll go with Arnold Cream.

Saintpat likes this.
  10. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    The best fighter arnold cream beat has to be the forgotten great, mack charles.

Pugguy likes this.
  11. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Mack holds wins over Archibald Lee Wright but I’m going to go with Joseph Barrow as the best scalp on his belt.

Pugguy, Fogger and Stiches Yarn like this.
  12. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    The best Duran beat was Leonard, the best Leonard beat was Hearns,
    Hearns destroyed Duran.... Hagler beat Duran and Hearns,
    Leonard beat Hagler.

Pugguy likes this.
  13. Fogger

Fogger Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    I'm going to say the best man Joe Louis beat is Billy Conn.

Pugguy and Journeyman92 like this.
  14. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Ezz should’ve gone by the nick Mack The Knife.

Too much negative connotation I guess. Ezz was no serial killer (though metaphorically in the ring he was perhaps) but his punches were slashing. :)

Stiches Yarn likes this.
  15. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    We seem to have hit a trident? in the road - who are we gonna run with lads? ;)

Fogger and Stiches Yarn like this.