Let's talk about Nova vs Baer brawls

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by 70sFan865, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Not smart.

I always appreciate fighters who understand range, Vitali, Monzon, Floyd come to mind. One moment lacking concentration on that aspect can lead to disaster.

2. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    It depends. Guys who fight with a rhythm can still improvise or change the beat. As long as they’re not using the same exact sequences of punches and movement all the time. But I guess fluidity is what I really had in mind. Herky jerky head movement and feints are great but when it comes to footwork and combination punching, I think that the most impressive and enjoyable to watch fighters have their own rhythm.

Unforgiven likes this.
  3. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Jack Dempsey said:

'Sparring not only improves your skill, but it also conditions your body for fighting by forcing your muscles to become accustomed to the violent, broken movements that distinguish fighting from any other activity.
    Much has been written about rhythm in fighting. Nearly every scrapper develops some rhythm to his movements in footwork, bobbing, weaving, etc. And some fancy Dans appear to have almost as much rhythm as a ballet dancer when they shadow-box. But when the chips are down, rhythm is destroyed. Your opponent's feints, leads, counters and defensive moves will break your rhythm in a hurry and will force your movements, on attack or defense, to be necessities of the split-second-to be violent and broken.
    Because the movements in fighting are violent and broken, fighting is perhaps the most tiring of all human activities.
    Some college experts insist that rowing on a crew is more exhausting than boxing. I don't know about that. I never rowed on a crew. But I do know that crewmen have a rhythm or "beat," to which they time their strokes. A fellow may be a perfectly conditioned athlete for some other activity-like basketball, football, baseball, rodeo, riding, acrobatics, hurdling, wrestling, etc.-but if he hasn't had sparring practice, he will be completely exhausted by two or three minutes of fast fighting. His muscles will be unaccustomed to the movements, and he will be unaccustomed to breathing while making those movements and while being hit.'

Unforgiven and Jamzy ⭐ like this.
  4. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Say all you want about Baer, but he was good at disrupting opponents rythm. He could make himself look like a fool for 2 minutes of round and then surprisingly pressure for a 15 seconds and land something extremely hard that would make fighter play safer for the rest of the fight.

5. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    This content is protected

My intent here is not to get in a pointless argument with some know-nothing noob who should really be in the General Forum, but rather to prove a point to him that he might educate himself.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. Jamzy ⭐

Jamzy ⭐ Active Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Shows who the real noob is, and that is you. Holmes is obviously playing it up for the cameras there.

7. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The internet is awfully big...I bet you can find an Idiot's forum somewhere out there...it would be a better fit for you than classic boxing.

8. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Lapses happen, even to the men you listed. Easy to criticize from our chairs.

Few fighters deliberately want to get caught cold walking backwards. You can get tired, rocked, or distracted.

In this sequence Bear disguised the right by loping wide behind the back hand push. Even with his guard up, would be hard to defend a punch like that you didn't see. He could have stayed inside but was cornered and vulnerable. A loop that finds it's mark can be hard to properly defend, there's a reason they are effective despite looking telegraphed to an observer.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    70sFan865 likes this.
  9. Jamzy ⭐

Jamzy ⭐ Active Member Full Member

Oct 8, 2018
    And to you too, Bruce Lee.