[1921 article] Levinsky claimed Carpentier hit harder than Dempsey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Jul 3, 2019.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    For what it's worth, in a July 1, 1921 Daily News article, "What the Fight Critics Say of Them," a number of fight people weighed in on the imminent Dempsey-Carpentier fight. Levinsky is quoted as stating "I've been knocked out by both. Carpentier packs the hardest punch."

2. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Could either Carpentier or Dempsey compete with this man? A man who did 30 minute rounds on the heavy bag, who broke commercial treadmills with his speed and intensity?
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threa...against-lastarza.586131/page-14#post-18549828
    "I remember when I had my own boxing gym in the garage in my late teens early 20's. My heavy bag was 125 pounds and I would hit it non stop in 30 minute increments alternating between bobbing and weaving under and around the bag and coming up with punches and moving side to side jabbing and throwing combos in full Ali mode. Then skipping rope 10,000 times until I was standing in a puddle of sweat and finishing the workout with a 5 mile run. 3-4 times a week I would visit a gym to lift mostly shoulder, back and leg work. Funny thing is that I would finish off each workout running full bore on their commercial treadmills. It was quite a sight with the machine screeching at its highest speed and me running at top speed. I would sometimes gather a small crowd. Several times the treadmills broke down under the stress!"

mrkoolkevin and BlackCloud like this.
  3. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Not sure but it sounds like he would have easily outlasted Andy Ruiz though!

Pat M likes this.
  4. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Levinsky's most famous assessment of Dempsey apparently was that he was "easy to hit but hell to miss." (I saw this quoted second-hand in a few articles).

louis54 likes this.
  5. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Following a slower-than-expected opening round Dempsey tore at Levinsky in typical fashion, forcing the smaller man to clinch or retreat to the ropes. Right hands to the body moved Levinsky about the ring and Dempsey stabbed with his jab more than expected. It wasn’t much of a contest.

“In the first two rounds Dempsey followed his opponent all over the ring to try and connect with one of his sleep producers,” said the Philadelphia Inquirer. “Levinsky, however, used the ring at every opportunity, but even at that he had to take a lacing, for every time that Dempsey landed with one of his short rights or lefts they seemed to shake Levinsky from stem to stern.”

A left hand to the body had Levinsky taking a nine count before rising late in round two and he never fully recovered. Nevertheless Levinsky attacked in round 3, but it only led him to trouble. Dempsey froze Levinsky with body shots and all the smaller man could do was hold on. After the referee separated the two, Dempsey sailed home a right hand that put Levinsky out for the count, and then some.

The Boston Herald reported, “It was useless for the referee to count the necessary 10 seconds for Levinsky was dead to the world.”

Dempsey knocked Levinsky out cold.

6. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    December 2nd 1921 New York Daily News. Levinsky was asked who hit him hardest: “Jack hit me harder than Georges”.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  7. Tonto62

Tonto62 Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I've just spat out my morning coffee!LOL Did he have a theme tune, Night Train? Sweet Georgia Brown? Rocky's Eye Of The Tiger perhaps?OMG

8. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Congratulations!!!! A primary source!!!!!
    There's a first time for everything.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Mendoza likes this.
  9. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I never got the Carpentier mystique at heavyweight. You summed it up factually. Post here more often.

Carpentier had a fine round one vs. Dempsey, then hurt thumb and wrist and faded, but he sure landed easy enough. IMO he had Dempsey stung early.

His best filmed fight is vs Siki. Carpentier was a smaller but skilled heavyweights with suspect durability for the division and not a big enough punch to keep his best opponents off him. Not his fault, he started boxing at flyweight!

10. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    Learn the sport! You have been historically wrong every single time. It’s your European local that is the issue. Too far removed from the “scene”.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  11. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    Carpentier had 112 fights,only 7 of then were in the US.LOL

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  12. HOUDINI

Aug 18, 2012
    So even more for you to be concerned about!

13. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    "I remember when I had my own boxing gym in the garage in my late teens early 20's. My heavy bag was 125 pounds and I would hit it non stop in 30 minute increments alternating between bobbing and weaving under and around the bag and coming up with punches and moving side to side jabbing and throwing combos in full Ali mode. Then skipping rope 10,000 times until I was standing in a puddle of sweat and finishing the workout with a 5 mile run. 3-4 times a week I would visit a gym to lift mostly shoulder, back and leg work. Funny thing is that I would finish off each workout running full bore on their commercial treadmills. It was quite a sight with the machine screeching at its highest speed and me running at top speed. I would sometimes gather a small crowd. Several times the treadmills broke down under the stress!"

This is actually priceless!

14. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    You have to consider it this way, I knew a HW fighter that fought butterbean and had a few other pro fights, I knew him personally and saw him in many street fights, once i was walking home and saw him pass by a construction site, 3 big guys recognized him from being in the local Tough man competitions at that time, they yelled at him called him names and went up to him and started a fight, he hit all 3 of them 1 punch on 2 of them and 2 punches for the 3rd, even though a 6-1 200 lb HW, he was smaller than all 3 of them, I would bet all 3 would say he hit harder than anyone that's ever hit them, then I saw many of his tough man fights, usually he Koed them, but 2 guys he fought he hit them with everything and they acted as if the punches were nothing, and he never even fazed butterbean, yet he could knock out anyone on the street and most in the tough man, but i would bet those 3 guys including butter, would say he may not hit that hard, who knows, it all depends on who is taking the punches, some guys may not feel it as much as another.

15. Tonto62

Mar 26, 2011
    No body could.He is a GOD! Modest too!

Pat M likes this.