Lewis David Ritson vs. Jeremias Nicolas Ponce & Thomas Patrick Ward vs. Edy Valencia Mercado RBR.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 25, 2015
    My thoughts exactly. Steve Gray was probably thinking "Come on Lewis, you've only got to stay on your feet for 2 more rounds and we'll rob this Argie lad on the cards. Plus I need you to win on points for my acca. Howard Foster in sitting down there and he's already got you down for a 118-110 win on his card"

2. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    have the cards been released?

3. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I tried to find them but couldn't.

4. TBC-ASAP

Sep 7, 2017
    Sadly for Ritson his best chance of selling out St James' Park is getting a job in the ticket office.

lencoreastside, Clarkey, Erik and 3 others like this.
  5. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Gray said the reason he threw the towel out was because the shots were to the body not the head...was he not watching the same fight? Ritson was eating uppercuts and right hooks all night long. The towel getting thrown in was not an in the moment panicky concern for Ritson but simply an acknowledgement that their lad had had enough and the tide wasn't going to turn. As pointed out by others, accumulation is far more damaging for the brain.

6. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Shock horror, boxer takes punches to head.

He was dropped by body shots and that's where the ref was basing his decision.

Ritsons team could have easily pulled him out between rounds if they believed he was taking too much punishment.

7. TBC-ASAP

Sep 7, 2017
    Seen a few matchroom fan boys on twitter saying Hearn won't be that bothered by the loss.

But that is quite a bad loss for him ain't it?

8. Who_Necks

Who_Necks David Price's Big Suit Full Member

Dec 11, 2016
    His team told him before the round started it was his last round and to show them something, he showed nothing and took more punishment so they threw the towel. Plus he didnt even see the round out he got stopped without the towel.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  9. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    Again, he took punishment to the body ffs.

He got up and fought back before he gave up and dropped again, the ref then rightly stopped it as he was done.

10. Who_Necks

Who_Necks David Price's Big Suit Full Member

Dec 11, 2016
    . Sorry my bad i read that the wrong way.

11. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    I don't get why you're defending a poor ref call so passionately? It wasn't a close fight, Ritson looked completely out of his depth and was taking shots for fun. His team decide to pull him out and the ref stops that. What are corners there for if they can't stop the pummelling their fighter is taking?

Guaranteed the ref doesn't do that for the Argentinian if the shoe was on the other foot. He'd just wave it off.

12. Wass1985

Feb 18, 2012
    It wasn't a poor call from the ref, the ref made a perfectly reasonable call after seeing that Ritson was able to continue after getting dropped by a body shot.

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  13. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    He was well within his rights to make that call within the rules and all that so yes I get your argument. However, his corner wanted the fight stopped. The extra layer on that was that it was his dad who wanted it stopped. Gray had every right to do what he did but he was simply wrong for doing so and that is backed up by the fact that Ritson got put down twice more for what was unnecessary punishment.

If Ritson had gone on and been able to battle on and get to the end of the fight then fair enough but he got stopped which adds weight to the fact that Gray made the wrong call.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  14. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Angel Di Maria was lucky that the ref did not wave the fight off if Ritson nearly landed a decent punch.

It was shocking from the ref and a towel thrown in by the corner has to be accepted as the end of a fight.

Can you image if Ritson took another barrage and ended up like this guy:

[url]https://www.express.co.uk/sport/boxing/865618/Eduard-Gutknecht-abandoned-George-Groves-fight-disgrace[/url]

Ritson was out of his depth from the first bell.

15. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Gutknecht was repeatedly concussed, Ritson was mostly hurt to the body.

Wass1985 likes this.