Lewis v Holmes opponents. How many does LL go unbeaten

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by williams7383, Jul 9, 2020.

1. williams7383

williams7383 TKO 6 Klit Lickers Full Member

Jun 15, 2009
    If Lennox was to have fought Holmes opponents at the age that Larry did.. ie Lewis turns pro at 24, fights C0oney aged 32, Spinks aged 35 and 36, so called prime Tyson aged 36, Holyfield aged 41, were replacing Holmes like for like with the same aged Lewis.

How far does the 0 go, who if anyone beats the same aged Lennox.

2. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He beats Tyson, but maybe he has an upset loss or two (which he avenges) by KO along the way. Lewis’s complacency and chin meant that sometimes he’d be under par and ripe for an upset. Against Tyson he’d always be dialed in:

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. williams7383

williams7383 TKO 6 Klit Lickers Full Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Lewis v Shavers would be a fight for the ages.

4. CharlesBurley

CharlesBurley Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2020
    You'd fancy him to go unbeaten until at least Tyson but he could obviously be caught on a bad night. Still I'm not sure Holmes fought huge punchers outside of Shavers and Cooney and surely Lennox respects both Shavers and Cooney's power. Witherspoon is a hard fight in your 30s but Lennox should have plenty to see him off. Spinks is too small and vulnerable to hang with Lennox for my money

The main Q is Prime Tyson v 36yo Lennox. So the Lennox that actually beat Tyson against a better version of Tyson. It's a pickem fight for my money with Tyson himself saying Lennox would always be too big for him.

Berlenbach likes this.
  5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I guess he runs into his Rahman at some point, I just have no idea who it would be.

6. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I think Tim Witherspoon would have had the best chance of beating Lennox. Of course, Lennox could get caught on by big punchers like Shavers or Cooney, but I don't think he would underestimate them. In Witherspoon's case it's likely that Lennox would underestimate him and if Tim catches Lennox with that right hand - it's a 'night-night'. Tim was clearly a harder puncher than McCall and Rahman in my opinion
    This content is protected

As for the second part of career... I'd favor prime Tyson to beat 38 y.o. Lennox, and Holyfield/Mercer/McCall would definitely beat 40+ years-old Lewis with easy

7. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Larry Holmes was 38 against Tyson and 42 years old against Holy.
    The 21 years old Tyson was far better than the Klitschko version 37 years old fat and slow punchin' bag Lennox and not to
    mention the young Tyson was harder and better puncher than Klitschko or the aging Lewis.

Abysswalker and Big Ukrainian like this.
  8. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I agree. No fighter in his 30's is going to have an easy time with a prime Witherspoon. He was very tricky with good fundamentals, good footwork, and a smashing over hand right. Lennox might need a rematch to set the record straight.

Carl Williams is also a tricky task for an aging Lennox who could be complacent. He would need to be in shape and jump on him early or he'll be in for a long and gruelling bout.

Even if he makes it past all those guys, he definitely loses to prime Holyfield. Considering how much he struggled with mercer in his prime, an old lewis would lose a wide decision to Mercer.

Big Ukrainian and TipNom like this.
  9. archdeacon99

archdeacon99 Member Full Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Lewis, no guy test he lays them all to rest. Lewis beats them all. Holmes would lose to Vitali.

This content is protected

10. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    You think a 42 year old Lewis beats a prime Holyfield?

Abysswalker likes this.
  11. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Difficult to see Lewis doing as well as Holmes, really. Different mindsets.

12. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Mike Weaver. If Lewis fought Weaver in the timeline of the thread he would be
    29 the age he was ko by McCall. Weaver was a better calibre HW than
    McCall.

13. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    This might be extremely unpopular, but if Lewis won the title before Steward I think Mike Weaver would have landed that lucky punch. I think Mike would have ko'd him in 3. I do believe Lewis would have come back to smash his skull in during the rematch, but yeah I see Mike landing and the first fight being over.

Though Kenny probably would have gotten smashed out by Lewis in the early days...I actually think he wouldn't have done terribly against the more cautious, Steward-led Lewis. I see a 12 round split decision for Lewis, one he'd have to earn (again this might be an unpopular pick).

Shavers always has a chance at landing the right, but I don't think his chin would hold up against LL.

Cooney would have been poleaxed in 8. Williams about the same.

Witherspoon would have been interesting, and by that I mean ONLY the Holmes Witherspoon (to me there really wasn't much beyond that). Witherspoon had the type of overhand right that could club Lewis out, and he was an underrated boxer. I can see Tim beating the pre-Steward Lewis on points, and losing to the Steward by same.

Prime Holyfield stops Lewis in 10.

Prime Tyson takes pre-Steward era Lewis out in 3, but Steward-era Lewis knocks even prime Mike out in 8.