Lewis v Jeffries?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mcvey, Jan 7, 2016.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I asked you what was freakish about Jeffries measurements ,and you reply "it sounds like"? So you don't actually know his measurements,or how they compare to other heavyweight boxers. Jeffries had smaller biceps and chest measurements than 183lbs 5'8" Tom Sharkey that is freakish :

Let me understand this, you are saying a bigger man ,[and were are talking between30/60lbs here,] needs more stamina than the smaller man his is fighting?
    Is that your contention?

Do you know how Jeffries fought because it doesn't sound like it?
    He was a very conservative performer against the top men he faced.
    In his longest fight ,the 25rds against Sharkey, Sharkey made the fight for the first 20 rds,Jeffries was content to lay back and counter him. The second Ruhlin fight is a rare example of Jeffries intiating the action against a prime class man.

On a passing note Billy Madden ,Ruhlin's manager said Ruhlin suffered stage fright against Jeffries and did not fight the fight he was capable of.
    Ruhlin was always an inconsistent performer so this should not be given as an excuse for his dismal showing, but given that Fitzsimmons had recently beaten him helpless ,I think it's safe to say the iron and resolve may have been punched out of him by the time he met Jeffries.

2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Jeffries might be time machine smaller.

But in all actuality he's similar size to Povetkin, couple inches shorter but couple inches better reach. You'd imagine he'd be about 225 today if he was boxing.

I think when comparing fighters from the past you have to imagine a bit what they would look like come fight night. I'm not really in favour if strict time machine fights.

For example if Lewis is fighting Jack Dempsey over 10 rounds or fighting Primo Carnera over 15 rounds he will likely be in different shape depending on the opponent, the distance and the dimensions. HW fighters are usually judged on shape by the eye test whether abs are visible, whether they look fatty, whether they gas badly. Lewis can be in shape at 225, 235, 245 or anything between. It's much easy for a big man to carry weight and adjust his size as long as it's done smartly.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Jeffries was a pretty big heavyweight. He really trained and sweated himself down to 210-220 range. He looks lean against Johnson too, and was 227 for that one.
    Anything from 210 to 230 would be good shape for Jeffries.
    Probably only 6 foot tall though, and that would put him at a disadvantage against Lewis.

4. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Today's athletes are roided up. Jeff was 220 trained down and ripped. Also these men trained for distance. The other point is Jeff was an ATG with ATG will to win living in a very tough era. The guy was a beast. Mentioning Potvikin in the same breath as Jeffries or any other true ATG is sacrilegious.

5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Don't be a muppet.

I suppose saying Lewis and Vingo were a similar height is sacrilegious as well?

6. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    Potvikin 10 years from now will be forgotten. He is not an ATG and never will be. Jeffries name still is well known 110 years since he initially retired. ATG vs a contender in a totally watered down era.

7. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    You're such a mong at times, on this site and the other.

8. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    If Povetkin could feast on the likes of an old Fitz and Corbett and a wharf brawler like Sharkey as the best challengers of his entire career, he would be an immortal.

9. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010

Yeah, I don't like to use absolutes when I'm not positive about the subject matter. Which I'm not. If you're not interested in having that conversation with someone like me, you can move on. No harm no foul.

I'm going off Mendozas measurements, which I compared with other heavyweight greats using a quick google search. And it seems like Jeffries has certain body measurements matched or exceeded by only a few. Which to me is freakish for a guy from the 1800's.

I don't think a bigger man needs more stamina than a smaller fighter. I said that fighting a smaller fighter could be a better test of your stamina, since you'll most likely have to move around more to catch you target.

10. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
    Lmao sure he was. And he proved it moving súper mws and getting rag dolled by jonhson in the clinch. Forman pushed back anyone .yes sure jeffries was stronger than foreman
    Lol

11. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    Lennox lewis was clearly ponderous more static and slower at 245 pounds.the lewis of the ruddock fight at 227 pounds was strong.explosive and fast. It was prime lewis

12. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Lewis in the Rahman rematch was as good as he ever was.

13. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    Why? Because he stopped a bum? .the same bum that he never should have lost against.
    It is irrelevant .245 pounds was not his physical prime weight. He was much more athletic, fluid, natural and fast
    At 227-230

14. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Because he was as motivated as he ever was. You show me a performance of his that looks better than he did against Rahman.

15. Perry

Apr 26, 2015
    You do have a point there. Rahman was a bum.