Liam Smith vs Anthony Fowler on Saturday October 9th in Liverpool

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Scott Cork, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    If Fowler wins this, he'll be even more insufferable than Bellew was after he beat Haye the first time around. :lol:

Julio Hophead and DirtyOldTown like this.
  2. Oneirokritis

Oneirokritis The Scourge of Stupid Idiots. Full Member

Dec 18, 2015
    If we've learned anything over the last two or three years, it's that going to the scorecards on a Matchroom show is never a sure thing.

3. williams7383

williams7383 TKO 6 Klit Lickers Full Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I hope Fowler beats him. Don't like any of the rat faced Smiths, this falls on my birthday, so a trip to the Republic of Bindippers land for this then find somewhere with Fury on later.. Happy days

4. williams7383

williams7383 TKO 6 Klit Lickers Full Member

Jun 15, 2009
    That's your wife in my avatar I heard

Who_Necks likes this.
  5. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Good fight this, I'll probably look to get tickets for it.

Listened to a Shane McGuigan interview last night and they clearly think Liam Smith is a little bit long in the tooth at the weight. Even saying about how he's been making the weight since the ABA's.

Nobody seems to fancy Fowler domestically, he has been calling numerous names out of the past 12 months and nobody is stepping forward to fight and I think he is now 31 ?? So he can either hang around and hope for a Cheeseman, Fitz or someone but if that doesn't happen he's suddenly 32 and still hasn't kicked on.

The fight with Liam Smith draws interest, it's an easy sell being a Liverpool derby and will see them both earn a few quid. If Fowler was to lose, he's lost to a former world champion / world level opponent and he can come back from that... however if he was to win, it's a big scalp for him and opens up loads of doors.

Beefy on the other hand, he's also been calling out for fights albeit at a much higher level (your Jesse Vargas etc) but again nobody has been forthcoming. He's coming off the back of a loss (robbery) in Russia and he needs to be actively fighting..... whilst on paper it's a drop in level it's an intriguing fight and like I said one that creates both public interest and draws money, so can see why Smith has taken it.

As for the fight itself, whilst I think Fowler will have improved under McGuigan I think Beefy will prove to be a level above. Fowler is tough though so it should make for a good scrap.

Here's Johnny and Scissors like this.
  6. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I think this is spot on. For all the **** Fowler gets he’s the one who’s called all the others out and they don’t fancy it, it’s a shame the one man who probably does isn’t in any shape to take it at the minute (Fitz). He deserves respect for taking this, it’s a massive step up for him, one that’s probably too far but at least he’s game.

kojak, Furey and nilrem like this.
  7. Degale

Degale Active Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I don’t get the hate for Fowler, I like him .

8. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Can't knock his dedication to the sport, lives like a monk so you've got to give him credit but he just goes OTT on social media.... probably is a nice bloke but he comes across very cringeworthy

9. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    This content is protected

Spot on Beefy.

Oreet Cha! and Scissors like this.
  10. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    To be fair Fowler is nearly 31 and still fighting below the level he got beat at 2.5 years ago which won’t pay well at all. He needs a big money fight.

11. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Just watched Beefys interview with Matchroom.

He thinks Eddie has kind of forced Fowler into this fight which I believe.

Eddie has mentioned enough times before he needs to know whether his fighters are going to sink or swim and I guess this is it for Fowler. I think he's bitten off more than he can chew with Liam Smith but I could be wrong and he and Shane have something up their sleeve.

Can't wait for the fight now.

Inglis_1, Scissors and aaaaa like this.
  12. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Great match up this one. As said previously, there won’t be too many easy nights for Matchroom fighters from here on in. I think Liam takes this one and it will tell us all we need to know about Fowler. Liam Smith is a proper throwback, my favourite one to watch out the brothers. Fowler is tough as well, but lacks the experience for someone like Smith. I expect a war of attrition with Beefy winning by late stoppage, possibly points. I think Liam will handle it better mentally too, big local derby, the pressure will be on, big time.

nilrem, Scissors and BXNG101 like this.
  13. Julio Hophead

Julio Hophead New Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2021
    It would also buy him a year of relative inactivity and avoiding a serious challenge as he dines out on it, we can't have that happen.

Oneirokritis likes this.
  14. Wacky Mo

Wacky Mo New Member banned Full Member

Aug 2, 2021
    Unless I'm missing something. I don't understand why Fowler and Mcguigan would take this fight . Liam Smith is clearly a level above and will beat the **** out of Fowler. I cannot see how Fowler could possibly win this fight.

15. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Money, lack of opportunities. Age.

Furey, im sparticus and Inglis_1 like this.