Liam Smith vs. Jessie Vargas

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by iamthegreatest, Apr 28, 2022.

1. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    This looks tasty on the weekend. Who you picking?

Scissors likes this.
  2. Special one

Special one Active Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2019
    Should be a decent mat h up. Hope Smith can win but think Vargas might take it late on or on points.

3. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Smith stops him late..Vargas ain't a lmw.

CST80 likes this.
  4. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Vargas hasn't fought for 2 years and fighting at a higher weight. Doesn't look great to be honest.

Accurate likes this.
  5. LeavemealoneKoooogs

LeavemealoneKoooogs All hail his excellency Full Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Not sure where either guy intends to go with their career after this but it'll be a great fight. Going with Smith on points

6. UndergroundBoxing

UndergroundBoxing Member Full Member

Feb 2, 2022
    Can see either guy winning this to be fair, Vargas is a solid but limited welterweight whereas Smith is a solid but limited light-middleweight. Smith being bigger and more hungry may be the deciding factor here

7. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    There’s something I like about watching smith fight. It might just be that he’s got grey hair, you don’t see many fighters with grey hair. Anyway smith ud 8-4 probably

CST80 and EJC83 like this.
  8. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    You can get 5/2 on that if you’re a betting man, Smith a comfortable favourite in this one.

I’d have to agree with the bookies on this one, whilst I think Vargas is a bit more skilled and a better pure boxer but he’s too small, never actually boxed at 154 whilst Smith is a career bigger man.

moog likes this.
  9. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Really looking forward to this. Hope Beefy has got enough left in the tank to finish him.

Mitch87, Cookiedough and Breazer5678 like this.
  10. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Think Smith wins either by stoppage between 10-12, or on points. Vargas will be dangerous in first 3-4 rounds imo, with speed but if Smith as I expect gets through that without much damage I think he will grind him down late. If it goes to points prob in region of 116-112 Smith imo. Looking forward to fight. Liam Smith is really good fighter. Love watching him.

Scissors and Cookiedough like this.
  11. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Liam Smith tough bugger does lots of things well but no X factor. Other than that he's a tough bugger.
    Think it could be a bit of attritional fight for the most part. Could be one of them where it's work rate VS cleaner punches on the card. Smith might need to get him out of there to get the win if that's the case.

im sparticus likes this.
  12. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Active Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Beefy to come out on top in a tough fight. Liam’s a proper throwback. Hard as nails and as game as they come. I always enjoy watching him fight. You know what your getting before the bell even rings.

13. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Good fight, winner should get a title shot. I'd favour either item against Charlo, hence why Haymon wouldn't make the fight.

14. Whytesnake

Whytesnake Armchair GOAT Full Member

Apr 3, 2021
    I think Vargas will win on points. I think he will win the early rounds and could nick a couple of rounds late in the fight. Smith starts slows and has a lot of miles on the clock so could struggle late. Yes Smith has the weight advantage but I think Vargas can hang on. I don’t see Smith getting a decision even if he looks to be winning

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  15. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member Full Member

May 4, 2020
    This content is protected

Looked and obviously weighed in smaller at the weigh in. I'm going for a Smith KO, rounds 6-9.